“Got to Love the Catedral”
Review of Hotel Catedral

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Catedral
Ranked #17 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 11 October 2008

As usual, Tripadvisor did us proud.
We wanted a good value, clean hotel in the centre of the historical area that was safe, friendly and convenient, and this place was spot on.
I don't need to add much to the previous reviews other than to say we had no problems at all, and would strongly recommend the breakfasts provided by the adjacent restaurant - delicious and great value. The only downside was a concert that was going on nearby one night that kept us awake, however we could hardly blame the hotel for that.
Highly recommended.

As an aside, I don't recommend the Teotihuacan tour, as it spends too much time stopping off at the usual touristy shops and restaurants. A private driver or local buses would probably do it more justice, you'd have more time and enjoy the place more.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Catedral

Reviewed 10 September 2008

My family recently visited Mexico City, luckily our experience at Hotel Catedral did not spoil the great experience of Mexico. Based on Trip Advisor's recommendation, we booked Hotel Catedral and confirmed these bookings. However when we arrived at 2.30 am, we were told that the bookings were cancelled because we were an hour late. We were horrified, as far as we are aware, international standards are that reservations are 24 hour, 12noon, from one day to 12 noon the next day. We had to go to another hotel at that hour and pay another taxi. It was very poor service. While the hotel we went to was a lower rating, Hotel El Salvador, the staff was very nice and helpful. So we would not recommend Hotel Catedral to anyone. Certainly don't trust their e-mails confirming bookings.
J. D Trinidad

2  Thank AJSTrinidadandTobago
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I had a very nice welcoming. They had a welcoming basket at the reception for guests. I felt 100% secure. They knew how to take care of their guest’s needs. The reception desk was ALWAYS friendly and ready to answer any question I had.

Saturday night I had to get some cash at a nearest ATM and they offered an escort (friendly and nice) for FREE even though it was 11 p.m.

My room was nice and the bathroom was impeccable. There was no A/C but there was a ceiling fan that worked properly.

The Hotel was around the corner from the Zocalo and major tourist attractions which saved me a lot of time and money in transportation.

The restaurant at the Hotel offered a huge variety of meals and they would always bring a compliment from the Chef. The restaurant was very affordable and you could eat very well for about 50 pesos.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank belugasweet
Reviewed 28 August 2008

we spent one night at the catedral after a horrible night in accommodation around the corner. the catedral was friendly, comfortable and quiet. terrific value for money. the restaurant out the front is great too.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sexon
Reviewed 23 August 2008

we were very impressed by the hotel, excellent location, nice staff, clean, safe and secure. we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucky1BC
Reviewed 4 August 2008

My second stay at the Hotel Catedral was no disappointment. Staff are friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is great (try the Oaxacan tamales!). The room was comfortable and clean, the bed and pillows great, and we even had a view of the street below. The location is great. It's close to the Zocalo and Templo Mayor and within walking distance of the Palacio de Bella Artes, Parque Alameda, and so many other sites but not on a busy and noisy street. We loved our stay at the Hotel Catedral and plan to stay there again. Don't be afraid to visit Mexico City. Just let the friendly people at Hotel Catedral take care of you, and you will do just fine.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jon_N_Amy
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I spent 5 days at Hotel Catedral in April 2008, following very positive reviews in Trip Advisor. My expectations were met and more. From the moment I walked into the hotel, tired after dragging 3 pieces of luggage about 1 km, I knew I had made the right choice. The receptionist was very welcoming and organised a wonderful tequila concotion, which lifted my spirits enormously. I then proceded to my 6th floor room with a balcony and a wondeful view of the mountains and rooftops. The room was very large, very clean with a large spotless bathroom. Everything worked perfectly, even the toilet, which is unusual in Mexican hotels. The day started with a wonderful breakfast (plenty of choices available and very filling), included in the incredibly low price of about 500 pesos, which was truly a bargain considering the location. Right behind the catedral and the Zocalo, next to the main acheological site in the city and a host of other very interesting places. I shopped in the miryads of little jewellery and perfume shops in the area. Everything you could possibly want is within walking distance of the hotel, including several metro stops, internet cafes, camera shops, shoeshine, restaurants and bakeries........ I was just so sad to leave, I could have happily spent several weeks there. One note of caution: there is a building site next door which I guess can be noisy, so check and ask for a room with a balcony for great views. The hotel also has a tourist desk which can help with day tours etc. I will be back if it is the last thing I do, and to check the rooftop terrace with more views of the city - so busy I forgot. As an older woman on my own I felt incredibly safe in the area and it was great to be within walking distance from everything.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo