“ok for budget travel”
Review of Hotel Catedral

Hotel Catedral
Ranked #15 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 2 February 2009

if on a budget this place is ok rooms are clean although dark and very dated also some rooms on lower floors at the rear have serious noise problems from a club that is situated at the back of the hotel. restaurant is very cheap although quality of food is variable. staff are friendly. location is central to main plaza although not much going on in the evenings.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loumcd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 24 January 2009

My mom and I stayed at the Hotel Catedral for 5 days. The staff is super friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable (my only complaint is the strong smell of cleaning supplies that made my eyes water it was so pungent--I'd still return though because the pluses outweigh the negatives), and the location is fantastic. Nice additions included a bowl of yummy tangerines in the hotel lobby and the most amazing rooftop terrace overlooking the Zocalo and the heart of Mexico City. The prices are reasonable and they give you a 10 percent discount if you pay in cash. I've traveled all over Mexico, eat street food, market food, etc. and am a big foodie in general. Normally I'd poo-poo hotel restaurant food, but in this case Hotel Catedral has it down. Generous portions, reasonably priced and YUMMY. Also, a few blocks away is El Mayor, an upscale, swank dining experience worth every penny (the equivalent of a nice meal in the US), also with a fantastic view of the Templo Mayor, the heart of Aztec civilization.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank OpenMindedTraveler40
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Hotel Catedral is right on the back of Mexico City cathedral, in the Zocalo. To be more central than this location, you should find a room inside the cathedral itself! Views from the top floor are gorgeous. Receptionist are very helpful and they organized our trips around the city and other close locations (Teotihuacan and the Basilica de Guadalupe). Through them, we booked a minivan with a wonderful driver, Mr. Isaac M. (who could speak perfect English). He drove us everywhere, giving us advise and very useful information.
Also the restaurant inside the hotel is pretty nice and food is good.
I booked thru the hotel website and i had a good deal. They immediately replied to my e-mails and accomodated us at their best. If possible, ask for the rooms at the highest floor: view is really something. We always felt safe and never faced any kind of problems in Mexico City: everybody was kind and helpful with us.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank chicca62
Reviewed 28 November 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel is an easy walk (5-10 min) to the zocalo, Templo Mayor, Palacio National and the Catedral. There are several stores, 7-elevens and banks surrounding the area but you wont find new stores as this is the historic part of Mexico city.

Rooms are without aircon (ceiling fan), basic but clean and the shower has good water pressure. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel that is open from 7am to 11 pm. Breakfast is included (US$ 70.50 per night) a la carte style with a good selection of Mexican breakfast.

The only complain is that there were a couple of nights that we couldn't sleep because of the music (very loud) from the nearby pub (or youth hostel) .We had to shut the window down to muffle the sound but it became warm inside the room. The other nights we were probably so tired that we slept thru it. So if you are a light sleeper, you might want to find another hotel but if you're not, then it is good value for the location and rooms.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hapitripper
Reviewed 15 November 2008

What a find! The Hotel Catedral is clean, comfortable and affordable. The rooms have been updated. Our first room (#213) was clean with a VERY firm bed. Bottled water was provided. The bathroom was very narrow—while sitting on the toilet my knees almost touched the shower door! However, this room faced the back, and as mentioned in earlier reviews, a disco was located somewhere nearby. My first night was spent listening to the bass booming and me not sleeping. We asked for another room and the hotel graciously provided us room #511. It was much bigger with a spacious bathroom with shower. Purified water was provided via a tap (but we continued to drink only bottled water). It was a much more comfortable room and overlooked an interior space so it was quite at night. Neither room had air-conditioning but each had a small window that opened and a ceiling fan. The maid left a package of tissues in #213, but we never had any in #511. Note that no washcloths were provided (very European). The included breakfast was wonderful—you ordered from a menu. It was the best included breakfast I have ever had at a hotel in all my travels. Staff was extremely patient, helpful and accommodating. When I made my reservations over the Internet I was quoted $70.50/night with breakfast. However, if you paid cash you received about an $8/night discount. When we checked out the actual cost was $55/night! What a steal! The location was convenient to the Zocalo and several other sights. We arrived about 8:30 pm Saturday night. The streets were rather empty and not brightly lit. I admit I was concerned, but in the daylight we got our bearings and felt safe. There is plenty of police presence, but you should still heed the advice for all big cities which I won’t repeat here. Traffic is unbelievable. For two days (and the ride back to the airport) we hired a private car and driver—Isaac Margulis and he was wonderful—spoke English, was a careful driver, knowledgeable about good restaurants (El Cardenal, La Gruta and Izote), friendly and accommodating. We highly recommend him. (Cell phone: 04455-1570-3466)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teramo48
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Great location right behind the Cathedral. Friendly staff. Large rooms, and the restaurant serves AWESOME chocolate flan!!

A couple drawbacks are that there is no A/C and the beds are very firm, but then i guess if you like firm beds that wont be a problem.

I've made this my preferred hotel for trips to MXC!

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled with friends
2  Thank LongBeachJake
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I can't praise this hotel enough. My experience was wonderful in every way.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple