Hotel Catedral
Ranked #16 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 1 April 2009

ear plugs and Mexico go together. Usually in relation to animals (dogs, roosters, etc) or street noise.
I visit Mexico City every alternate year and this is my third stay at the hotel. I ask for a quiet room and usually get #310,311 or 410,411.
This year I was awakened at 2:00 AM from a scratching/gnawing sound. I have owned a cottage for 20 years and quickly recognized the sound of a mouse in the ceiling. Further investigation and I found mouse glue traps under the furniture.
As I was checking out in the morning, I reported my find to the reception desk, in both English and spanish (mouse/raton). They did not act surprised at this information nor did they try to give another explanation for the sounds and traps.
You may want to avoid the above room numbers until they solve the problem.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
HCatedral, Guest Relations at Hotel Catedral, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2009

Hi Mr Rojo-Amigo

First of all I want to give an apologyze about the problem with the mouse, traps and my partners.

I want to tell you that we have fixed the problem with the mouse and right now is tottally perfect without that problem

Have a nice day

Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed 28 March 2009

After a gruelling flight over from the UK, this hotel allowed us to 'come round' comfortably. Very good reception staff and breakfast choice impressive. I would recommend. It is right behind the Zocalo and the Cathedral, with lots of interesting things to see nearby. Don't miss the Diego Rivera murals in the Palacio Nacional!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrankWirral
HCatedral, Guest Relations at Hotel Catedral, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2009

Thank you for you comment.

Have a nice day

Reviewed 2 March 2009

Loved the hotel (the food was awesome!) but the guide recommended by Teramo48 in an earlier review of this hotel, Isaac Margulis, was awful. We had just one day in Mexico City in late January 2009 and wanted a guide so that we could make the best use of our limited time. Isaac took us straight to trashy tourist traps, where I can only assume he was looking for a commission, including a grossly overpriced restaurant. He was not interested in getting out of the car to actually show us anything, and to top it off at the end of the day he couldn't even get us to the airport at the agreed time and so the last hour of our journey was a nightmare, as we thought we were going to miss our flight. Don't do it!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
HCatedral, Guest Raltions at Hotel Catedral, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2009

We are sorry about this problem with that Tourist Guide. Here in the Hotel we have a safty taxi company that works with us and they can take you anywhere in Mexico City and suburbs

Reviewed 2 February 2009

if on a budget this place is ok rooms are clean although dark and very dated also some rooms on lower floors at the rear have serious noise problems from a club that is situated at the back of the hotel. restaurant is very cheap although quality of food is variable. staff are friendly. location is central to main plaza although not much going on in the evenings.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loumcd
Reviewed 24 January 2009

My mom and I stayed at the Hotel Catedral for 5 days. The staff is super friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable (my only complaint is the strong smell of cleaning supplies that made my eyes water it was so pungent--I'd still return though because the pluses outweigh the negatives), and the location is fantastic. Nice additions included a bowl of yummy tangerines in the hotel lobby and the most amazing rooftop terrace overlooking the Zocalo and the heart of Mexico City. The prices are reasonable and they give you a 10 percent discount if you pay in cash. I've traveled all over Mexico, eat street food, market food, etc. and am a big foodie in general. Normally I'd poo-poo hotel restaurant food, but in this case Hotel Catedral has it down. Generous portions, reasonably priced and YUMMY. Also, a few blocks away is El Mayor, an upscale, swank dining experience worth every penny (the equivalent of a nice meal in the US), also with a fantastic view of the Templo Mayor, the heart of Aztec civilization.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank OpenMindedTraveler40
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Hotel Catedral is right on the back of Mexico City cathedral, in the Zocalo. To be more central than this location, you should find a room inside the cathedral itself! Views from the top floor are gorgeous. Receptionist are very helpful and they organized our trips around the city and other close locations (Teotihuacan and the Basilica de Guadalupe). Through them, we booked a minivan with a wonderful driver, Mr. Isaac M. (who could speak perfect English). He drove us everywhere, giving us advise and very useful information.
Also the restaurant inside the hotel is pretty nice and food is good.
I booked thru the hotel website and i had a good deal. They immediately replied to my e-mails and accomodated us at their best. If possible, ask for the rooms at the highest floor: view is really something. We always felt safe and never faced any kind of problems in Mexico City: everybody was kind and helpful with us.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank chicca62
Reviewed 28 November 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel is an easy walk (5-10 min) to the zocalo, Templo Mayor, Palacio National and the Catedral. There are several stores, 7-elevens and banks surrounding the area but you wont find new stores as this is the historic part of Mexico city.

Rooms are without aircon (ceiling fan), basic but clean and the shower has good water pressure. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel that is open from 7am to 11 pm. Breakfast is included (US$ 70.50 per night) a la carte style with a good selection of Mexican breakfast.

The only complain is that there were a couple of nights that we couldn't sleep because of the music (very loud) from the nearby pub (or youth hostel) .We had to shut the window down to muffle the sound but it became warm inside the room. The other nights we were probably so tired that we slept thru it. So if you are a light sleeper, you might want to find another hotel but if you're not, then it is good value for the location and rooms.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple