Hotel Catedral
Zocalo Central(Mexico City)
US$178
US$173
1,391 results
All reviewstour desktemplo mayormain cathedralgreat bargainexcellent locationcentral locationtwo blocksbreakfast buffetsingle roomzocalo areathe hotel stafftop floorhistoric centerno air conditioningrooms are cleaninternet accessfive nights
Reviewed 13 June 2009

We spent here 4 nights as a part of our Mexican tour and the hotel was a very good choice. I cannot really add much to the previous reviews, but emphasize the great value we got for the money. Great location, only 2 minutes walking from the Zocalo, nice food and very nice staff.
The only problem we experienced was some break down of the wireless Internet connection in our room but an other room with connection was immediately offered.
Very nice hotel I can only recommend it to everyone staying in Mexico city.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2009

If you are looking for the best location, service and at an incredible price, look not more than the Hotel Catedral. They have a "Hospitality Desk/Concierge" that the only work is to get you anything that you need at no cost. They can arrange any visit, get you directions, timetables, reservations, let you travel guides and give you excelent tips for your visit in Mexico City. In one word they give you a five star service for the price of a motel in the USA.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was inexpensive for a double room. I booked online and received an immediate confirmation from the hotel in English. The hotel is on a very busy street, so the taxi driver dropped us off at the corner. The hotel is by no means modern or pretty in the aesthetic sense, but it is very clean, and the staff is helpful. I speak Spanish, but the staff also spoke English. There are also computers that you can pay for (a minimal amount) to check your email.

Our room was on the 6th floor facing the street, and there was no noise at night. The street is not very busy at night, so we slept just fine. The bed was large, there was a tv, and the bathroom was immaculate with nice large mirrors. The best part of the hotel was a patio on the roof of the hotel with tables, chairs, and sun chairs for you to sunbathe. My husband and I were the only ones up there for 2 out of the 3 mornings we were there. You can see the flag from the Zocalo from the roof.

We walked everywhere from our hotel - the Zocalo, the Palacio de Bellas Artes, restaurants, etc. The hotel also offers to call taxis for you at any time of the day, and a staff member will walk you out to the taxi to assure it is the official one they called. I do not recommend hailing taxis on the street (the hotel also advises against it) due to illegal taxis and kidnapping/robbings that happen often in Mexico City.

We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant on the last night we were there and the food was very good and cheap. Nothing fancy, just basic cooking that you find in regular restaurants in Mexico.

Also, there is a 7 Eleven on the corner down the street form the hotel where you can buy snacks, water and hot tea to take back to your room at night.

Mexico City is as safe as any large city, just be aware of your surroundings, hold your bag close to your body, and don't flash money or jewelry and you'll be fine.

ps: the hotel staff is very nice. I left something in my hotel room and the maid came down and handed it to me while I was waiting for my taxi in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We stayed at Hotel Catedral for the first 2 nights of our longer vacation around Mexico. The hotel is overlooking the Caterdral and is only one block away from the Zocalo. There are only a few hotels that can beat the location. On top of that for a very reasonable price you get a very nice room (either noise + view or quite and a view on a interior square), great breakfast (do include it in the price, it is worth it) and a solid service (inc. reservation hosts). The rooms are clean, they have nice showers and good beds. A nice bonus is the last floor terrace overlooking Mexico and the Catedral. If I ever get the chance to fly in Mexico city, I know where I will stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Just got home tonight for a week in Mexico. Last time, we stayed in Holiday Inn right around the corner on 5 de Mayo Ave, and it was a great time. Some people told me about Hotel Catedral, and I did some reading on TripAdvisor and decided to give them a shot instead.

Good decision.

We stayed in a suite, and I don't think there was much difference between the suite room and the "matrimonial" rooms, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a good room. Nice room, comfortable bed, TV has cable including English CNN International, etc etc. We were pleasantly suprised! We were trying to be at the hotel by 6 pm, but we called and let them know we would be much later, and there was no issue at all in getting the room. They just asked for a credit card number to maintain the reservation, which I believe is a standard procdure anyways, so big deal.

The view from the terraces is pretty slick, the hotel is definitely not some cheap place that popped up, and the free wifi was the kicker for me. The overnight staff was very polite, and they did a nice job of taking care of us tired travelers. There is a parking lot under the building that is secure, so that was another great feature. Let the employees get the car out for you and pay a nicer tip instead, because the columns are positioned awkwardly, so it be a challenge for some. Driving a rental car, I preferred to not worry about it instead.

We were told at check-in that if we paid cash, it would be cheaper than by card. We put it on the card, but then paid cash at checkout, and they honored the discounted price. Very nice of them to do as well.

Overall, I was very pleased with everything we got at the hotel. Great service, polite employees, beautiful physical plant, and the price is fantastic. Location, location, location....a 5 minute walk from Templo Mayor, Palacio Nacional, Catedral Nacional, Alameda, Palacio de Bellas Artes, etc etc etc ......you can't beat it for the price.

My only complaint would be that the building next door is under construction, and there was some work done at night. You can't blame the hotel for this though, as it is not their building. It didn't really bother us though, as we couldn't hear it unless we opened a window, which we didn't.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank djsassan
HCatedral, Guest Raltions at Hotel Catedral, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2009