Hotel Catedral
HotelsForEveryone
US$193
US$179
1,393 results
All reviewstour desktemplo mayormain cathedralgreat bargainexcellent locationcentral locationtwo blocksbreakfast buffetsingle roomzocalo areathe hotel stafftop floorhistoric centerno air conditioningrooms are cleaninternet accessfive nights
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Unless you want a rock concert right in your room, stay away.

It was a Thursday night; not a holiday, just an ordinary day. It started muted mid-evening, we put our earplugs on. But, the loudness increased; the decibels got so high you would have thought we had invited a rock band in our room. We had interior court, 2 blocks from the Zocalo. Wax ear plugs and sleeping pills were useless.

For that reason alone, the Catedral hotel is a bad address; at least for those who want to sightsee, not change rooms.

Our room was also run down; the furniture & carpet shabby, the mattress shot. The bathroom was reasonable.

We had reserved for quiet over a month ahead & checked in early.

So it leaves me wondering who is really raving about the Catedral hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank carolina20
Reviewed 26 October 2006

We can't say enough about the Hotel Catedral. While the rooms were average, everything else was exemplary. Both the hotel and restaurant staff were genuinely friendly, the price was right, the location near the Zocalo and Metro was ideal, and the view from the rooftop delightful. Some have commented on the police presence outside the hotel. Indeed, walking north of the hotel late at night is inadvisable. However, we felt very safe hanging out late in the Zocalo watching the Aztec dancers perform their impossibly perfect moves. Like most big cities, just be vigilant and use common sense.

Karen, Colorado, USA

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank chilekids
Reviewed 24 October 2006

This hotel is a very good option for travellers who like to stay at a good but inexpensive hotel in the city centre of Mexico City.

Please do not expect 4* stylish rooms or excellent service, but do expect clean, average rooms, a tasty breakfast a la carte, reasonable prices ..... just steps away from the cathedral.

I can highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank newtowndirk
Reviewed 23 October 2006

I had a really hard time in choosing between hotel cathedral and eurostars in zona rosa. Budget is one of my concerns and I wanted the privacy of having my own room. I’m glad that I didn’t change my mind at the last minute. I made my reservation on the hotel website without providing any credit card information. I received a confirmation number the next day by email. I arrived at the hotel around 9am; taxi cost 127 pesos from the airport. The lobby is pretty nice looking. I asked for a room with balcony but it wasn’t available. I got a room on the fifth floor facing the cathedral. When I walk into the room, I was quite surprise to see that the room isn’t as “bad” as I thought. Pretty much similar to a room you get from best western, quality inn in North America. The whole room including the bathroom was very clean, and spacious. It’s true that there’s no air conditioning; had to rely on the ceiling fan to keep the air circulating. It wasn’t a good idea to open the window because my room was facing a building that’s been torn down. It’s October, I didn’t need a fan to sleep; but I guess it would be a little humid during the summer. I didn’t really have much problem with noise from the street or night club. But I could hear loud music on Saturday night while I was in the hallway. AVOID rooms facing the front entrance. There were about 10 TV channels with foreign ones like CNN. There was a special purified water tap in the room, though I wasn’t sure if it’s 100% safe. I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel with very helpful bellman. He gave me directions and advices on where to go or not go. For the price of 415 pesos per night including tax and 10% cash discount. This hotel is unbeatable!!! They did not charge me for early check-in; regular check-in time is around 2pm I believe. I left my bags with the front desk in the morning which I checked out. The bellman even locked up the zippers on my suitcase with plastic rings. “Hotel” taxi to the airport cost 100pesos. It was just a regular car with a driver who spoke good English. (The computer at the lobby is slow and a little pricy to use the internet. Try the hoSTel.)

One of the reasons I picked this hotel is because of the price and location. I wanted to join the day tour (good & cheap) organized by a nearby hostel. It was my first time to mexico; I didn’t want to wake up at 8 in the morning to ride the metro to come to zocalo. Location wise, the hotel is perfect, at the heart of many attractions and shops. 7-11 is just 1 block away. Within 5-10 minutes there are Metro station, Macdonald’s, restaurants, Zara, department stores, CD store..… the only drawback is that everything close at around 8 or 9. The roof-top balcony is great place to settle down after a long day of sightseeing. Depends if there’s anything (eg. Book fair) going on at the Zocalo, the main square could be busy ‘til 10 or 11pm. Grab a beer or bite from the open bar at the nearby Hostel Cathedral (close at 10pm). It’s usually packed with young travelers from around the world. I’ve always traveled around the city by metro. Coming back at 10pm or midnight; walking past the cathedral was okay because there’s still police around. The side streets was pretty dark and empty, I was probably just scaring myself..… If you would like to stay close to the night life, I would suggest Eurostars in Zona Rosa. Seems to have nice rooms and good location for only $60 a night.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
9  Thank fakid
Reviewed 23 October 2006

This hotel has helpfull staff, a good restaurant (which also serves in the hotel bar, including a price-friendly menu del dia until 6pm) and good service. They provide cheap taxi-service, a medium-prizes and sized travel service and perfect baggae locker and safe deposit service. The majority of the staff speaks English. Rooms are decent and always clean, but don't expect much of the advertized view of the Cathedral, as the most you see is its back and a lot of construction around the Templo Major.

The hotel is just a block from the Zocalo, which makes it a perfect starting place for ex[ploring Mexico. The street itself is quite at night and busy during the day. As around 10am starts the local street market at the end, making it an access route.

Mexicans do sleep here, as well, but the majority is tourists on their own and with package tours. The restaurant menu is diverse, Mexican with a sense of French/American. The hotel has two internet access computers, but no Wifi. In general, the services are more than fair for such a priced Mexican hotel, but not up to the business men's limits.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Ortwin