“This is all that you need.”
Review of Hotel Catedral

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Catedral
Ranked #14 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Atlanta, Georgia
“This is all that you need.”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

If you are on a budget but don't want to rough it too bad while staying in the Zocalo district of Mexico City, you can't go wrong here. My friends and I love this hotel in the historic downtown area of Mexico City. It is called "Catedral" because, well, you are right next to the Cathedral and the Plaza Mayor. Two blocks from the Zocalo! This is an excellent location if you want to be in this district.

The service is great (except when they get a little busy with tourists, then everyone is going in a million directions)... they have laundry service, an onsite restaurant including a breakfast buffet, a computer room with internet access, and a travel agent who can book you a tour with the van driving up to the door to the hotel. All of this for under 50 USD a night is a wonderful bargain.

If you are used to A/C, you won't find it here in the room...but you can turn on the ceiling fan.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
Berkeley
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I have stayed in a a couple hundred hotels in my time and there is always something new. I read the review about the rats. It's 11:00 a clock at night and there are still workman making noise redoing the room next door. This is a new one for me. I should have said I wouldn't take this room, but I honestly didn't think it was possible that these men would stay working this late. They were very polite, but they are creating a lot of noise and dust. I haven't really seen the rest of the hotel yet. Yes there is noise from street but, it's not that loud. It sounds like Mariachi's. I'm sort of just passing through, so I wouldn't recommend this Hotel for that purpose. Not the best place for sleep. I hope that I won't have the same tipping issue that others have had. There is an envelope asking for a tip for the lady who cleans the room. I think this should be voluntary and the envelope is just bad manners It's a no for Hotel Catedral so far. To be fair, it the room is very clean and the staff has been nice. We'll see how it goes when I go downstairs to ask about the workman still being here. I finally went down and complained. I hate complaining. I have only done it 2 or 3 times out of hundreds of hotel stays, but really to have 6 workman going full blast in the room next store at after 11:00 p.m. is a no. Also when the men saw me going downstairs to say something one of them was rude.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BerkeleyEducator
london
Reviewed 2 June 2010

i stayed at hotel Catedral when I visited DF for the Day of the Dead celebrations it was very well situated by the Zocalo, and all the major sightseeing sites especially as I was traveling on my own and had heard all sorts regarding safety for a woman on her own in DF.... (rubbish!) it was near a very good shopping area, very good and famous restaurants and near the sightseeing bus stop!! as well as the major attractions in DF. The staff was helpful without being overbearing and helped me find salsa clubs, lucha libre matches as well as a reasonably priced private tour to go and see the Frieda Kahlo house, museums etc... Food was ok but some of the best restaurants in DF are within walking distance of the hotel and the terrace for breakfast in the morning was certainly a +! Great value as you even got an extra discount for paying cash!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Europe
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I can't speak highly enough of this hotel. Obviously, this is not a 5* hotel with a gym and swimming pool or designer furniture. But given the price, this hotel offers absolute value for money and is really comfortable. I paid 490 Pesos- about USD45 for a single room. My room had a small balcony with a view of the old town. I basically left it open whenever i was in the room, as combined with the ceiling fan it provided a perfect breeze. My room did not have AC and I did not need it, thanks to the fan.

The location is excellent- close to lots of attractions in a really interesting part of town. plenty of food and convenience stores nearby.

The wireless internet was free and worked perfectly. Be sure to check out the rooftop terrace for a great view of the Cathedral. Overall, and excellent stay- would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Hello_Bamboo
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We stayed 3 nights and it was all we expected after reading the reviews. The staff were very courteous and helpful and the location was great. The restaurant had good food and reasonable prices. Would stay here again

• Stayed May 2010
san jose, Ca
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I stayed at hotel catedral march 31 - april 11th 2010. It is very nice, quiet and very clean. It is very well located only 1 or 2 blocks brom Zocalo, catedral.........everything is very convenient.......there are pharmacies, 7eleven store, grocery stores near by.............i was very happy staying at this hotel......i would definetly stay again next time i visit DF city.......

the room are clean, the bathroom........even pple at the lobby are very nice............
i would definetly recommend this hotel to single and to family people.
maria

• Stayed March 2010
new york
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I just love staying at this hotel. I stayed at this hotel 5 yrs ago and it's still great! The service is great, the location is great and there are so many restaurants and bars that u can go and i had a hard time deciding which one to go to. Definately go to Teotihuacan( the pyramids) with the hotel travel agency, the guide is excellent and the price is about 400 pesos which was reasonable. I stayed at the 7th floor with three queen size beds and i loved the fact that the terrace is right near the room. I along with two girlfriends walked aroud the hotel area 10 at night and it wasn't scary at all b/c there are policemen on every block.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends