“Loud nearby disco and security issues means I won't be back.”
Review of Hotel Catedral

Hotel Catedral
Ranked #16 of 313 Hotels in Mexico City
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 January 2011

There is a loud disco/music venue that keeps going until 2:00. I had a room with a view of the Catedral so maybe other rooms wouldn't have this problem with the loud music. But biggest issue is that the desk clerk called me a taxi at 22:45 one evening to take me to zona rosa. It turned out to be an insider deal where the taxi overcharges and then gives the desk clerk a kickback. When the taxi driver arrived I saw him give money to the desk clerk. The taxi driver then led me to his 'taxi' which was an unmarked white van with no meter. I hesitated but thought it was okay to get in because I trusted the hotel. I was charged $120 (pesos) to go to Zona rosa. For my trip back, the bar called a taxi, gave me the taxi ID number, and then verified it was the correct taxi that came to pick me up. It was a marked taxi with a meter and it cost $66 to go back to hotel cathedral. I felt cheated and that my security had been at risk.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Hotel Catedral is located just a stone's throw away from the Zocala (5min walk). Rooms are basic but impeccably clean. Unfortunately I stayed in one that was facing the inner courtyard but didn't think this was a big deal. Breakfast was phenomenal and the staff very pleasant. Would stay there again..

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We read your reviews and eventually decided to stay here, don't know why I hesitated. Good sized rooms, very clean, fresh linen, bottled water, shampoo etc daily. Only negative was that the shower had very poor power. We had an internal room that looked into the quadrangle inside, so no views (not that there are any anywhere) but it was very quiet. Recommend breakfat, great buffet- loads of juice,fresh fruit,yoghurts,cold meats,cereals,bread, toast and of course lots of choice on the hot buffet. Coffee could be better.

Location is excellent, 2 minutes walk to the Zocola and Cathedral, turibus and Metro. Lots of restaurants, and main shopping streets 2 minutes away. Very safe for walking around, police on every street corner. Real plus for non smokers is that everywhere seems to be non smoking-well done Mexico

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Very handy location: close to Metro (we should have tried the Metro earlier than we did - excellent way to get around!), less than 5 minute walk to the Zocolo. The buffet breakfast was pretty good - we preferred this to the restaurant just because of the variety.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We spent 2 nights here en route to the coast as we wanted to visit Teotihuacan and visit the Archaeological Museum. The hotel was fine but basic. Rooms and bathrooms were clean and functional but don't expect any luxuries. Breakfasts were included and were buffet style with a lot of choice with both hot and cold choices and certainly a very pleasant surprise exceeding expectation. Staff were helpful and friendly. The area of the hotel is fairly safe and heavily policed and we saw no trouble at all. We wondered over to the Cathedral and watched the flag lowering ceremony which was fun.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I first read about Hotel Catedral some years ago in Lonely Planet - before going to Mexico City for the first time. We chose Catedral for our debut stay in Mexico City. Right now is our 4th. visit to the capital and the country and we are still with Catedral.

They rate themselves as a luxury hotel. Well, I would not say that. But it's a very good hotel.
And good value for money. If you pay cash you even get a 10 % discount too. Strange, but a too good offer to turn down.

Since our 3rd. stay 2 years ago, it's now free Wi-Fi in the rooms. On the other side, I miss private, electronic safe boxes in the rooms. (It's still the same old fashioned deposit system in the reception where they provide a key operated post box like service)

The surrounding area is quite dead and dark at night. If you are looking for a lively neighbour hood, this is not the location for nights out. I would guess the Zona Rosa district is the obvious choice for such activites.

The staff has always been very nice. Not all speak English though. Since our last stay the hotel bar has disappeared and turned into a breakfast location. That's a bit sad.

The hotel offers different kind of rooms: 1 bed, 2 beds, shower-only, with bathtub, with jacuzzi etc. It seems difficult to reserve a specific kind of room weeks in advance though.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2010

You will find many reviews that indicate that the front rooms are loud. They are, no question. Bass laden thumping at the bar/club just across the street woke me up Saturday morning at 7am. That is the negative.

The staff is great, I just suggest requesting an interior room. Breakfast is good, and convenient. You are 2 blocks from the Zocalo, so easily can get to tons of tourist sites/cool Mexico City feelings.

I felt very safe, though always watchful, I moved around the city from 8am until 11pm and always felt comfortable in the neighborhood. I also rode the metro and a bus or 2, super convenient and cheap, albeit crowded, but not too much. I would avoid rush hour during working days.

Overall the staff was professional, and helpful, they called a cab for me on my last day to go to the airport. The bed is not new or even updated, but clean linens and decent shower, I did not stay here to enjoy the hotel, but to enjoy the city.

The "potable water" tap in the bathroom and ice machine in the hall allowed me to fill my water bottle, without worrying about getting sick.

Overall a decent place to stay. This reminds me of a tour group European hotel. Well situated, clean, but not fancy. You can’t beat the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo