“Aging beauty; great rooftop view”

Best Western Hotel Majestic
Ranked #116 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Chicago, Illinois
“Aging beauty; great rooftop view”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We honeymooned here 24 years ago and were eager to see how the old Majestic was holding up.

The lobby and grand staircase are still eye-popping. The human-operated, brass elevator takes you to a bygone era, for sure. The place is old and needs an overhaul. Our room had an insanely noisy neighbor, so the front desk moved us to a more secluded room which was tiny but had huge closets.

No natural light or air (we followed the lead of previous TripAdvisor reviews and asked for a fan but there were none). Nice bed, problem-free plumbing; aging electric outlets wouldn't hold our chargers.

The rooftop restaurant offers a great view of the zocalo. Breakfast buffet is pricey (try the jugo verde, a refreshing juice made of cactus & celery), but the coffee keeps coming and the scenery is fantastic. As the cathedral bells rang, we saw zocalo action (two different protest marches, Sunday morning church-goers) and the snow-capped volcano.

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Yeah, the Majestic is showing its age, but is a good bargain for its central location and old-style feel.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the street noise, get a room facing the zocalo: the 5:30 a.m. flag-raising is...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cdub333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I was attracted to this hotel because of its situaiton next to the Zocalo, the main square, in Mexico City and I was really happy to be given a room overlooking the square, with a clear view of the two volcanoes Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl in the distance. The hotel is showing its age in its fittings and furniture but it has a certain charm and I was glad to have chosen it for an overnight stay (the airport is only a 10-15 minute taxi ride away). I had always wanted to visit its rooftop restaurant where I had breakfast the next morning. The negative aspect was what happened inbetween- ear-splitting noises above my head from what sounded like a giant stone washing machine and then very, very loud bangs as if from a metal rod. Very frightening and disturbing, even for me (extremely hard-of-hearing). I didn't call to see what it was as I kept thinking it would stop. After about 2 hours, I managed to fall asleep so I suppose it did stop eventually. Hopefully I will get an explanation as I mentioned it in my check-out survey, and the problem will be solved for future visitors. I'll keep you posted. BTW, excellent price for this city-centre hotel - just over £65 including breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank cathbaker14
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The location off the Zocalo is excellent. The hotel was built in 1937 and looks like it needs a complete renovation. The room was clean. The bed was hard. I had to call twice to have the toilet fixed. The balacony doors were hard to close. The biggest problem is the noise. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We arrived early at 530am into MEX airport. The taxi dropped us off at the hotel and it was locked or looked closed. At first I was shocked and thought they must of went out of business. The taxi driver told me they close the doors overnight due to security. I am glad I stayed at this hotel it was in a perfect location. We were given a room that overlooks the Zocalo, it was Mexican Independence week so all the buildings were decorated with lights. The hotel is old but still satisfies with its helpful staff. The price is beyond reasonable, I would stay here again if or when I return to DF.

Room Tip: You must request a Zocalo view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Creeping_Death_LA
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We were happy with the location. The view from the room is fantastic. If you want the old style Mexican hospitality and care from a great staff, this is it.
However, the old place needs a rehab. Plumbing was iffy, electrical more so. The cleanliness standards don't match up to any other Best Westerns we have been to.
Never mind any of the negatives, if you book on Hotels.com and get the $80 rate, it''s a good deal and a nice memory. Try it, you'll like it. Just ignore the negatives.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flylowguy
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in 2 rooms and enjoyed the lovely building and the good location. Nevertheless, the rooms were very dark, shabby and loud. The connection door between the rooms couldn't e opened. The roof top terrace is beautiful with a fantastic view of the Zocalo, but the breakfast buffet leaves definitvely room for improvement. Good for a night or two, but 5 nights was too long. The internet connection is lousy and didn't work most of the time. The hotel computer is hopeless.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Zocalo view. The interior rooms go to the patio and are very dark.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rombach00
Lincoln, California
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We enjoyed the location and chose our room to face the Plaza. It was a little noisy, but we loved opening the window and hearing the church bells and the hustle and bustle of Mexico City. It is on the walking street and easy to get around from there. The rooms are large, comfortable and clean. However, it is easy to see that they are not improving their rooms. We had lamps without bulbs and much of the room looked a little shabby. Wi-fi almost impossible to use and the "business" center computers are close to unusable. The restaurant, which has a great location, was had very average or below food. Wouldn't recommend it. Hallways echo and are noisy. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family