Best Western Hotel Majestic
US$179
Zocalo Central(Mexico City)
US$178
US$173
All reviewsnational palacepedestrian streetseventh floorinside roomthe main squarezocalo viewgovernment buildingsuntil midnightterrace restaurantalarm clockbring earplugsfelt very safemetro stationflagcathedralplazapalacio
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had a room on the sixth floor with a perfect view of the Cathedral and the Zocalo. Easy access to all my destinations either walking or heading out on the step on -step off tour bus of the city 1/2 a block away. Yes, ear plugs are a necessity as there is always something going on in the main square.
My friends were staying in the Cuidad hotel on the southern end of the block paying 5.5 times per night more than I with the same noise issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floor facing the Zocalo
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank JaneAnne56
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here as part of a group trip. The location was fantastic: right on the city square and a pedestrian mall. The front door was guarded by a policeman with a machine gun. Noise was a big problem. The Zocala across the road has protestors or singers using microphones from 9 am to 11 pm all days we stayed there, so if you're into people shrieking angrily or fanatically singing about "Christo" then I guess you'd not mind staying at this hotel. The internal noise was nearly as bad.

This hotel does not have an automatic elevator which is a first for me. A bell boy has to operate the elevator on call. Despite being told my room was ready at 5 pm, it had not been cleaned at all since the previous guests. I was told to wait for half an hour while the maids cleaned the room; I was eventually moved by Victor to a clean room. The room cleaning was very ordinary. I found a toothpick on the floor of the bathroom and the floor in the main room had not been vacuumed at all. No foot towel was left after the first room clean.

The wifi was the poorest we had in Mexico with no connection on the rooms and, at times, no connection in the lobby.

There was no black tea at breakfast and the breakfast fare was...fair.

Aside from location, this hotel has very little to recommend it. Bring ear plugs if you want to rest or sleep. I am surprised it qualifies as a Best Western; it's more aptly named the Worst Western I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Try an internal room that doesn't face the street to reduce noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank episode10
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I should have listened to all the reviews, but after years of reading tripadvisor reviews I thought that the complaints were from people who had unrealistic expecations.

The good: location is excellent for seeing sites near the Zocalo. It's a very pleasant walk to other parts of the city via Madero street, which is pedestrian only for many blocks. There are lots of shops and restaurants steps from the hotel. The room was clean enough, and the bed didn't give me any problems, but I like very firm matresses. The lobby is very pretty. The hotel is very well secured. The gentlemen operating the elevator were all very nice. There is a coffee maker and 2X500ml bottles of water are provided every day as the tap water is not drinkable.

The bad: the very thin walls and doors between connecting rooms. Many had said it here before, but I had no idea how bad it would be, because I'm usually not noise sensitive at all. For instance, it's true that if you're on the 6th floor you can hear tables and chairs moving around in the restaurant above you. That didn't bother me at all. Lying in bed and feeling like the couple chatting in the room next door are right beside you- that's uncomfortable.

The rooms were adequately cleaned, but one day they took our towels away and never replaced them. We didn't realise it until we got home after 12:30 am, so it was 6 flights of stairs up and down to ask for some since the elevator wasn't manned at the time. I didn't realize how much the manned elevator would bother me until I was there and wanted to pop out quickly to the Circle K for a drink at 2am but felt too awkward to ring for the elevator there and back. We mostly ended up walking down every time and only using it to go up.

The safe in our room did not have a key (I guess it had been lost long ago?) so our only option was to use the front desk's safe. The TV remote was by request only, so we didn't bother. We were barely in the room anyways.

The terrace restaurant does indeed have a spectacular view of the zocalo. The menu is very pricey because of this. It was a nice place to sit with a beer at sunset, though.

We got a very cheap price for 4 nights, so I wasn't too unhappy about our stay, but I would never recommend it to anyone else, and for the same price there are many better options.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bcBEZ
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hotel is disgusting. The bedding had holes in it, we got flea bites while we slept, and the staff is rude and extremely unhelpful. The rooms are sparse and the hotel overall is in pretty bad shape. On Sunday morning we were awoken at 6:30am from loud hammering in the room next door. It was a nightmare!! We were miserable here and couldn't wait to check out and switch hotels the next day.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank passport2earth
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The location of the hotel is very good, near by the center square. The beautiful architectural design of the building. Good size of the room accommodations. The food was good and the breakfast included lot of special food from mexico. The restaurant on the top of the building, with a wonderful view of the Zocalo. The staff is friendly, and the wifi is free, just you have to ask the code.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple