“Great Value & Location”

Ranked #165 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
San Francisco, California
“Great Value & Location”
Reviewed 7 January 2008

The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to the zocalo and all the sights in central Mexico City and also close to the underground.

The hotel has 24 hour security, and one of the guards, Alberto, was very friendly and helpful.

My room was huge, but lacked a window. It didn't bother me, because I was only there to sleep and shower. The room was very clean, as was the hotel. There's a restaurant on the ground floor, too.

• Liked — value and location
  • Disliked — no natural light
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Intrptrvlr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed 4 January 2008

Someone else's review mentions being put into a large room with 3 beds that he didn't want, and later his valuables were stolen from the safe in the room. That's interesting, because my boyfriend and I were also given a large room with 3 beds that we did not want. We were later pressured to pay for the larger room, which we refused to do. The staff was very rude about it all, and made a big show of forcing the young man who assigned us the room to pay the difference because we wouldn't.
The building is a historic gem, however. And there's a cool bar on the ground floor.

• Liked — The architecture
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed September 2004, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NowVoyageuse

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2007

The Hotel is very good for budget travelers. The people at the front desk are very friendly but not efficient: You ask for something and it could take several days to get it (like extra pillows, and the key for the safety deposit). I appreciated the room service from the restaurant, which was better than your touristic eating place and with very affordable prices ($3 to $10 dollar meals). The location is wonderful, only five blocks from the Zocalo and four from the nearest subway station. However, if yolu want to buy food or other stuff during a holiday or weekend, the place is shut down because it's the neighborhood for large whole sale.
The interior of the hotel is beautiful, with an internal balcony painted in bright terracota colors.
The rooms are clean and the hotel overall is kept very neatly.
However, I would have given this hotel a higher rating if it wasn't for the mattresses. They are as hard as sleeping on a large piece of wood. We couldn't belive how bad they were and that was the only thing that made our stay less pleasant. I am trying to post this so if you have a back problem or cannot take hard mattresses, do not stay here. Otherwise it's great.
The price I paid for four people in one room was $55 dollars with private bathroom. You can pay $18 for a double with shared bathroom or $30 for a double with bathroom.

• Liked — the way the hotel is painted inside
  • Disliked — the mattresses were as hard as rock
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2006

This is the hotel to go to after being fedup with noisy backpackers having tiny rooms crammed with bunk beds and the cost is similar.

It is stylish old hotel with huge rooms on the corner of Calles Salvador and Isabel Catolica, very convenient. We (group of 4 travellers) had wonderful spacious rooms with attached bathroom, plenty of hot water. The lift works and attached restaurant is excellent. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We stored our XS luggage here and took of up north for a week and on our return another great room was available.
Hotel Isabel is highly recomended .. for SPACE and good beds (no bunks!) and peace and quiet (compared to backpackers).

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank Allan T
MEXICO CITY
Reviewed 24 February 2006

Being a mexican i enjoyed for several years staying at this place because of the convenience of the vicinity to downtown. On 5-feb-06 i booked a room wich i thought was going to be nice. The front desk gave me a room for myself with 3 beds on the roof. The door knob would not close properly so feeling insecure i called the front desk asking for another room, they hesitated for a few minutes and came up with the idea that i should take a room on the second floor (room 205) i accepted. Again when i came into the room i was again surprised that only myself would get again a room with 3 beds. As i was tired from my flight to mex city i checked the safe-box on the wall and as i was convinced that it worked properly i put my money inside of it.while i was lying in bed i realized that the ceiling were very high and that in each of the corners of the room there was a dark hole about 4 in diameter, i joked with myself and thought maybe theyre cameras spying on me. Next day i went out all day and did not check on my money. On feb 7th as i was going out for breakfast i decided to check my money, i got nervous when i realized that my money was not complete. I called the front desk and they sent me a person that said to be the hotel manager i explained my case and he denied it saying that he was the only one to have access to the master key as i was already getting nowhere with him i inmediatly packed my luggage and left. I was robbed in this hotel. Please trip advisor do take this review into consideration. Why was i given a room with a high ceiling and 3 beds? I know my money is lost and i am not planning a lawsuit because of the waste of time but i still want you to warn others of want happened to me in this place.

Stayed February 2006
17 Thank Olimpos21
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 25 January 2006

I've travelled to several countries in Latin America and stayed at a good number of cheap hotels, but this one is the worst of all! They want your money and they don't care one bit about your satisfaction. I've reserved a room there one week prior to my stay. The front desk agent promised me a beautiful clean room with a great view, but once I've paid, he put me in a hole with no windows, cracking floor and a bed as hard as a rock. Stay elsewhere, it's not worth the trouble to stay there.

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank Viracocha_24
London
Reviewed 7 December 2005

If you are travelling and trying to keep your costs down, but still, at the same time you want good accomodation i would recommend Hotel Isabel (Mexico City). The Hotel is exceptionaly clean, friendly staff at the reception desk. And lets not forget the location, 5 minutes walk and you're at the main square.
I was very impressed by the fact that i booked our room 6 weeks before through the internet and till our arriving i got confirmation emails weekly to ensure me that the room is booked for us.
I really can't think about anything i'd complain about.

• Stayed December 2004