“Decent service and good location”
Review of Hotel Isabel

Hotel Isabel
Ranked #168 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed for 2 nights.
Hotel is located 5 minutes walk from the nearest metro station and 10 minutes walk from central square.
The rate is very affordable.
Service is OK; not all the staff speak English.
Rooms are spacious. Furniture is not new, but OK. There was no air-conditioning, but in November we would barely need it.
Isabel street is pretty noisy in the mornings, but noise is bearable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side or at Republica Salvador street are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Stayed here back in feb 2010 on 2 different occasions. Really liked the place,
Rooms are huge and spacious and the restaurant serves OK food. The little bar on the left when you come in has a nice atmosphere.
BUT, without a doubt, the best thing is the location, only 5 min from the zucalo, how can you not love that!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank peberpigen
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I flew into Mexico City and had 3 nights reserved for the start of my trip and 2 nights for the return journey at the Hotel Isabel.

Great price, great professional service, and excellent location. The room is fine, and excellent value.

I reserved over the Net on the Hotel's website and my reservation was there when I arrived.

For 5 pesos take the metro from the airport to Isabel la Catalica station. Out of the station turn left and go 100 meters to Isabel La Católica [street], turn left again, and 4 blocks later you are there.

The hotel has a restaurant which is a bit pricey, but it is convenient and pretty decent. The Paella on Thursdays and Saturdays is a decent feast. And the beer is colder than ice ;)

Room Tip: I like a room with a balcony. These are giant rooms and you can lock the windows up so tight at nig...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank peter.craig
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed 6 nights at Hotel Isabel with my girlfriend and we really enjoyed the stay. There is nothing fancy about the hotel and the rooms, but it is comfortable, has free wifi and the staff are very friendly. The location is great, smack in the middle of downtown and close to the palace and cathedral. Subway is close to. There was noise from the street, but was else is to be expected in the biggest city in the world :)

At 420 pesos a night this really was great value for the money. The pressure in the shower was low and really the only negative thing I have to say.

I would use the hotel again for my next stay in Mexico City.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klitgaardj
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip. Great location for a great price with helpfull and friendly staff. The rooms are all orientated around an interior plaza. Our room had no window and was very dark, but clean. My advice: ask for a room with a window!

Room Tip: Ask for a window
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I've now stayed at the Holel Isabel (HI) four or five times. It continues to be one of the best price deals in the historical district. Although a bit rough around the edges, it's a great budget hotel. I always ask for a room with a balcony and always get one. The streets are a bit noisy, but I like the fresh air (as fresh as it can be in DF). Room cleaning service is great! The ladies straighten and clean my room daily. I get to practice my Spanish with them and they try out their English with me. Front desk service has always been friendly and helpful. I find the beds a bit on the hard side, but that's a personal choice. Although I speak Spanish, most of the people working at the reception speak some English so as to be helpful to non-Spanish speakers. On this trip, I ate a number of meals in their restaurant. The food was traditional Mexican fare and very good. At mid-day, the restaurant was filled with locals looking for good food at a good price. As there is a travel agency in the lobby, I had the occasion to ask them several questions this trip. Although I did not book any trips through them, they were pleasant and helpful. The HI now has WI-FI in the lobby which made using my iPad very convenient. Also part of the hotel is a bar. The local patrons love kerioke. It was great fun the few evenings that I stopped in for a beer. You're also just down the street from the nearest metro station and good eateries can be found in every direction. It's a safe neighborhood if you're out walking in the evening. I look forward to my return to DF and my next stay at the Isabel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Grousedoctor
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stayed here at the beginning and the end of my trip to Mexico. I was very happy with the hotel. It is amazing value, the reception staff were always friendly and helpful as were all the other staff with no exception. The restaurant is basic but adequate for those times when you don't want to venture out. It is situated a short walk from the Zocalo in a safe area and taxis have to check in with reception. You have to live with the odd light switch that doesn't work and the inside rooms are dark. I asked for a balcony room the second time I stayed and, though armed with ear plugs against traffic noise, never had to use them. I was on an early flight at the beginning and was given a room straightaway at 7 a m. There is free purified water. What more can you ask? (It is true that the beds are hard, but I found that in budget hotels all round the country)

Room Tip: Inside rooms are very dark
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo