“Not Terrible, But Not a Place I Recommend”
Review of Hotel Isabel

Hotel Isabel
Ranked #173 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Not Terrible, But Not a Place I Recommend”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

So, yes, the hotel is just a few short blocks from Zocalo. And yes, our double room only cost $450 pesos. However, although our stay wasn't terrible, I wouldn't tell someone that I suggest they stay here if they are visiting.
For one, the man who checked us in was not polite. He kept answering the phone in the middle of check in, and he would take the call instead of putting it on hold. So that took much longer than expected.
The rooms themselves have very high ceilings and are decently clean. However, it looks like half of the room was decorated in 1875 and the other half in 1975. The bedding was so old I was kind of nervous sleeping in it. On top of that, the bed was also the single most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on; it was hard as a rock.
We stayed in room 210, and of COURSE right outside is a bus stop that must run all night, because I was woken up in 20 minute intervals by the sound it on the street.
I will say that the restaurant attached to the hotel is wonderful! Our servers were excellent, and the food was even better. I suggest trying the sopes :)

Overall, could our stay have been worse? Oh yeah. We were only staying for one night, so we stuck it out. But if I head back to DF anytime soon I will be staying at a different hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that faces away from the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Katie L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 28 June 2014

For travelers who are adventurous but need a decent place to rest after a whole day of walking up and down the beautiful centro historico, this is an excellent choice. In a very pretty old building, with comfy bedrooms with a balcony overlooking Isabel la Catolica street, a good restaurant and joyful cantina, close to a main subway station (Pino Suarez), Hotel Isabel is a fantastic choice. Not a fancy one as the Hilton or the Gillow, but for less than 30 US dollars, this is the best you can get for sure.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor, it might be a bit noisy at night. I stayed at the second floor and didn´t hea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Irma V
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for 10 weeks during the summer of 2012 but as I am new to trip advisor this is my first opportunity to review it. I enjoyed my stay so much however that even nearly 2 years later I still feel the need to tell others how fantastic it was!
I was staying alone in Mexico City and so was obviously daunted when I arrived however the staff were absolutely first class and made me feel relaxed and welcome and also gave me advice as to what I should be doing during my stay.
The room I was given 203 was not exceptional (for the price I was not expecting it to be) but it was clean and big and exactly what I needed. I had a cleaner called Margarita who I came to nickname "Madre Mexicana" as she was always making sure I was ok, had enough towels and toilet rolls etc and also took the time to speak to me in Spanish in order for it to improve.
I was in Mexico to undertake a research project whilst at university and I could not have picked a better place to stay. The communal areas in the courtyard around the rooms helped me to meet people however there were few people my age staying at the time. All in all, the perfect place to stay in Mexico City on a budget. In the heart of the Centro historico and 2 minutes away from the Zocola and National Palace it was more than ideal!

Room Tip: All rooms inevitably have a great deal of traffic noise as it is Mexico City and they love to beep t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Conor W
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

A Good Choice For The Budget Traveler

The Hotel Isabel is my go-to hotel two to three times a year when I'm in the city. First, it is centrally located in the Centro Historico and just three blocks away from a metro stop (Isabel la Catolica). If you are traveling light, save the taxi fare by taking the metro from the airport to the hotel. Second, the rates are some if the most reasonable in the city. A single room will cost $330MEX and a double $450MEX. If you're staying five days or more, pay in cash and receive a 10% discount. Third, although the hotel could be spruced up a bit, it has the charm of the old colonial buildings, comfortably large rooms, and a very friendly, English-speaking staff at the reception. I always ask for a room with a balcony and am able to get one most of the time. Each room has a safe so one does not have to walk around town carrying excessive money, passports, or other valuables. The hotel restaurant is very popular with city residents and serves good meals all day. The small friendly bar inside the hotel features karaoke most evenings which can be very entertaining. WiFi is available throughout the hotel, but reception is difficult in the rooms due to the thick walls. However, a high-speed connection is available in the lobby and in the central areas on each floor. For travel information, a tour operator occupies a corner of the lobby. Just a block to the west on Bolivar Street are many local eateries and cantinas. While in DF, check out a cantina for an almost endless list of complimentary "botanas" or Mexican-style "tapas" that are served when purchasing drinks. It's an economical place to have dinner plus, on a busy evening, it's great fun.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Grousedoctor
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The best thing I can say about Hotel Isabel is that we slept very well there. The lobby is cute, bright colors and vaulted ceilings daylighted through the floor above. The room decor is really quite terrible, and noise is a factor. Earplugs are a must. But everything was comfortable enough, and our main criteria the nights we were at the Isabel were price and location. It's a good basic budget hotel central to the Centro and close enough to the airport. We were happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BonneChere
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here 2 nights.
The hotel is close to metro station (5 minutes walking distance) and Zocalo square.
The room was large, quote and bright, very clean and comfortable.
The rooms are arranged around an interior atrium which gives a good deal of its charm.
the beds are rigid.
Breakfast is non included but there is a coffee inside the hotel.
At the next door there is another hotel in which you can buy bus tickets without extra charge.

The staff is very kind and speak a good english.

www.donatoaquaro.net

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noises coming from the street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank daquaro
Gilroy, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We unknowingly booked a room at a haunted hotel! After staying there a week with the balcony doors open every night I can't recall running any ghosts. Although kind of disappointed,overall I felt this was a great bargain for the price. The location was perfect for day trips in and outside of the city. It is about 3 blocks from the metro. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room though dated are clean and large.They changed the blankets every night. The doors were a little squeaky but problem solved after bringing it to the staff's attention. I loved having a balcony although there were a few noisy nights , Friday and another night of construction noise from across the street. The glass floor was cool. The little bar was fun with many locals. The restaurant was ok and pricey. I'd return to the Hotel Isabel as it was a great price for the location and historically charming.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper get a room away or high above he street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends