“Best budget stay in the area”
Review of Hotel Isabel

Hotel Isabel
Ranked #166 of 307 Hotels in Mexico City
Fresno
“Best budget stay in the area”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This is a BUDGET motel. It does not have amenities. But it IS cheap, cheaper than the hostels with dorms and shared bathrooms. Here are my thoughts:
PROs:
- very convenient location near zocalo (plaza) and metro/ bus stations
- cafe with good food, decent prices
- bar with decent drinks
-lobby with computers with Wi-Fi (for a fee)
-free WiFi for guests
- extremely quiet, very clean, good maid service
- extremely safe hotel and area,
24 hr guard at the door
-cheap-around $30 - $35/night after
taxes for a room with private bathroom
- private rooms with shared bathrooms are available on the top floor for less $
-room safe, armoire type closet, huge mirror with vanity / desk, giant vaulted ceilings
- next door, u can check out/sign up for tours at Hostel Amigo (a modern and stylish hostel, but rooms are $5 more for shared bathrooms and dorms)
-all rooms had hot water, decent toilet water pressure
-all rooms are non-smoking rooms
- the room you get greatly determines the enjoyment of your stay. I stayed here three times. Here's what I got:
- a GIANT room with a balcony and double doors to a foyer and a bathroom with another set of double doors. Two full beds. This is the best room. #104
*however, the shower drains slowly and the curtain does not reach the floor, so the whole bathroom floor is wet after a shower
- the room next door, #105, is similar, 2 beds, balcony, but not as big. Small foyer.
- #108 nice room, no foyer, 1 bed, but had a balcony.
- #112 -Whoa. What a dump. Tiny. 1 bed. No balcony. No view. Stuffy. Smelled like chemicals. Horrible. I changed rooms.

CONS:
- Wi-Fi was weak, as is the norm in foreign countries
-the towels and bedding are past their prime, but are clean
- No heat or A/C
*I stayed here in July and it was never warm enough to need A/C. I would imagine it's cold in the winter...
- Balcony rooms provide a nice breeze; however, there aren't any screens, so I wouldn't advise sleeping with the doors open lest you enjoy being consumed alive by mosquitos
- hard beds (common in Mexico)
- cafe patrons often flavored my breakfast with their smoke
- "designated smoking area" was just outside the lobby on the sidewalk, so the smoke drifts into the lobby/ cafe as well as upwards to the best rooms with balconies
- some of the reception staff were not very "receptive"
-No English spoken nor attempted (common for budget stays in Mexico)
- loud traffic outside
-the safe was locked, and the staff member who could open it was always busy, so I never used it. However, I had zero theft problems.
-staff gave me some horsecrap about not guaranteeing the same room for my next stay because sometimes guests continue their stay, yet upon my return when I wanted to continue MY stay in the current room, I was told I had to check out with all my stuff and then check back in to another room. Why? Some bull about a cleaning rotation. Inconvenient. But, STILL the best place for the value. They did eventually let me have the 2nd best room, #105, for the cheapest price, so I shut my hole and enjoyed my stay after that.

In summary, if you're looking for a modern place like a Best Western or Holiday Inn, this isn't it. This is not the US. If you want something like that, either stay in the US, or be prepared to pay for it.
If you're looking for a conveniently located cheap place from which to explore the city, this is it. I will stay there again before flying back home. If I ever go home...
Hope that helps. Happy travels!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank Queen J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

In a great location in the old town, perfect for sight seeing. Nice old building, old fashion but in a nice way. Huge rooms, good value, very clean and friendly staff.
If you are on the side of the street it is pretty noisy to try and sleep, as it is a busy road.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

4 nights in this hote were great. Location is OK...10 min, walk to metro station, about 5 min to Centro Historico. Hotel is nice, has some colonial futures. I liked rooms...are basic but huge so are bathrooms. The most important have safe and comfy beds....and is cheap..
Loved it

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DariusKN
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 June 2014

So, yes, the hotel is just a few short blocks from Zocalo. And yes, our double room only cost $450 pesos. However, although our stay wasn't terrible, I wouldn't tell someone that I suggest they stay here if they are visiting.
For one, the man who checked us in was not polite. He kept answering the phone in the middle of check in, and he would take the call instead of putting it on hold. So that took much longer than expected.
The rooms themselves have very high ceilings and are decently clean. However, it looks like half of the room was decorated in 1875 and the other half in 1975. The bedding was so old I was kind of nervous sleeping in it. On top of that, the bed was also the single most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on; it was hard as a rock.
We stayed in room 210, and of COURSE right outside is a bus stop that must run all night, because I was woken up in 20 minute intervals by the sound it on the street.
I will say that the restaurant attached to the hotel is wonderful! Our servers were excellent, and the food was even better. I suggest trying the sopes :)

Overall, could our stay have been worse? Oh yeah. We were only staying for one night, so we stuck it out. But if I head back to DF anytime soon I will be staying at a different hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that faces away from the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Katie L
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 28 June 2014

For travelers who are adventurous but need a decent place to rest after a whole day of walking up and down the beautiful centro historico, this is an excellent choice. In a very pretty old building, with comfy bedrooms with a balcony overlooking Isabel la Catolica street, a good restaurant and joyful cantina, close to a main subway station (Pino Suarez), Hotel Isabel is a fantastic choice. Not a fancy one as the Hilton or the Gillow, but for less than 30 US dollars, this is the best you can get for sure.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor, it might be a bit noisy at night. I stayed at the second floor and didn´t hea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Irma V
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for 10 weeks during the summer of 2012 but as I am new to trip advisor this is my first opportunity to review it. I enjoyed my stay so much however that even nearly 2 years later I still feel the need to tell others how fantastic it was!
I was staying alone in Mexico City and so was obviously daunted when I arrived however the staff were absolutely first class and made me feel relaxed and welcome and also gave me advice as to what I should be doing during my stay.
The room I was given 203 was not exceptional (for the price I was not expecting it to be) but it was clean and big and exactly what I needed. I had a cleaner called Margarita who I came to nickname "Madre Mexicana" as she was always making sure I was ok, had enough towels and toilet rolls etc and also took the time to speak to me in Spanish in order for it to improve.
I was in Mexico to undertake a research project whilst at university and I could not have picked a better place to stay. The communal areas in the courtyard around the rooms helped me to meet people however there were few people my age staying at the time. All in all, the perfect place to stay in Mexico City on a budget. In the heart of the Centro historico and 2 minutes away from the Zocola and National Palace it was more than ideal!

Room Tip: All rooms inevitably have a great deal of traffic noise as it is Mexico City and they love to beep t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Conor W
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

A Good Choice For The Budget Traveler

The Hotel Isabel is my go-to hotel two to three times a year when I'm in the city. First, it is centrally located in the Centro Historico and just three blocks away from a metro stop (Isabel la Catolica). If you are traveling light, save the taxi fare by taking the metro from the airport to the hotel. Second, the rates are some if the most reasonable in the city. A single room will cost $330MEX and a double $450MEX. If you're staying five days or more, pay in cash and receive a 10% discount. Third, although the hotel could be spruced up a bit, it has the charm of the old colonial buildings, comfortably large rooms, and a very friendly, English-speaking staff at the reception. I always ask for a room with a balcony and am able to get one most of the time. Each room has a safe so one does not have to walk around town carrying excessive money, passports, or other valuables. The hotel restaurant is very popular with city residents and serves good meals all day. The small friendly bar inside the hotel features karaoke most evenings which can be very entertaining. WiFi is available throughout the hotel, but reception is difficult in the rooms due to the thick walls. However, a high-speed connection is available in the lobby and in the central areas on each floor. For travel information, a tour operator occupies a corner of the lobby. Just a block to the west on Bolivar Street are many local eateries and cantinas. While in DF, check out a cantina for an almost endless list of complimentary "botanas" or Mexican-style "tapas" that are served when purchasing drinks. It's an economical place to have dinner plus, on a busy evening, it's great fun.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple