“Womb with (not much of) a view”

InterContinental Presidente Mexico City
Ranked #18 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Maryland
“Womb with (not much of) a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed at the InterContinental Presidente for business during a few days in July. From a couple of the reviews, I was worried about rusty faucets breaking off in my hand, frayed carpeting, and peeling paint. While I'm only half kidding, I was pleasantly surprised that my room was fresh, clean, and as modern as I would want. It wasn't a huge room by any means, but it was standard for a hotel room in the States.

All good hotels have their unexpected benefits, and this one is no exception. Next to the bed were two switches: one lowered and raised a light screen, so that it blocked sunlight while still enabling you to see outside. The other one lowered and raised a darker screen, and when you closed both, you were cut off from the world completely. With the screens lowered, I created a "womb-like" atmosphere to sleep in. For someone with sleep problems like me, this is a godsend.

And it was no sacrifice to obscure the window. My twelfth floor window looked out on a large HVAC system and satellite dish. I could have been anywhere from the Bronx to Seoul. My colleague, on the other hand, stayed on the 37th floor and had a spectacular view of the city. So ask for a room on a high floor.

There was nothing objectionable about the room. The bed was comfortable, the desk had ample space, and the bathroom facilities were clean and satisfactory. But I couldn't help compare it to the spectacular room I had at the W, just down the block, the last time I was in Mexico City. That room was huge and sleek, and even had a hammock in the room that served as a huge shower.

My only other quibble with the room is that there is no outlet next to the bed. The closest one was across the room. Since I use a CPAP breathing device that requires power, I had to jury-rig a set up to power the device so I could breathe at night. Tossing or turning would have pulled the plug out of the wall.

I needed to use the Internet, so I bought wi-fi service for about $10 US/day. After a few minutes of connection problems, the wifi worked fine and was reasonably fast.

The stucco-walled gym was pretty good as well. It is broken up into a few small spaces, with elliptical machines mostly in one area, treadmills in another, bikes in another. Scattered around were some dumbbells and some weight machines. You can definitely get a decent workout in.

I didn't really use any of the hotel restaurants since I was out the door at 7 am and back at 11 pm, but the neighborhood is great and has good restaurants nearby. I felt as safe walking around the neighborhood as I would in, say, Aspen.

In sum, get a room on a high floor, close the shades without getting out of bed, and enjoy a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mgips
Guillermo447, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your review which is very well done and detailed. We have taken note of the need of an outlet next to the bed and will considerate it when we do the guestrooms renovation.
We would like to comment that we will be renovating our Gym shortly and adding some new equipment since its demand is very high.
Next time you visit us, I highly recommend you to use our gourmet center which offers 7 different restaurants. They are very popular and we offer a good variety of cuisines and a wide selection of wines from around the globe.
Looking forward to having you back soon, I remain,

Guillermo Valencia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

For many years I have been a guest at Intercontinental in Mexico City, this is the best choice for business or pleasure. The quality of the service from all personnel at the front desk is superb and the responce is instant for any requirement or need of service. I want to specially thans Joslin Fuentes and her team to make me feel at home with their attention to details and full commitment to what customer service is all about. Eric Ard...

1 Thank Eric A
Guillermo447, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and excellent comments on our staff and the service provided during your stay. I have shared your opinions with my team and have given a special recognition to Joslin and her team for an outstanding job.

I am glad you had a memorable stay and are planning to come back to our hotel.

Once again, thanks a lot and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Morelia, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

As an Ambassador PriorityClub member I have been staying at this gorgeous hotel every time I travel to Mexico City... and it is simply the best! From the amazing lobby to the check in procedure (pretty fast), the rooms (I personally recommend the Club Floor rooms and also the lounge at 39th floor because of the magnificent views, the breakfast service and certainly the helpful staff), the nice and excellent restaurants within the hotel to the expedited check out.... just wonderful. My congratulations to the well managed team that made my stay a memorable one!

Room Tip: If possible, reserve a room at the Club Floor... it is worth the price.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank emroao
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your review and your excellent comments which I have shared with my team. I fully agree with you, Mexico City is an excellent option for a great weekend and it has a lot to offer, and our hotel has the best location. I am glad you had a memorable stay. We have achieved our goal of having happy guests who will recommend us and are willing to come back.

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Safe, secure, in an area where everything is within walking distance. The restaurants inside are very good and though the hotel is slightly dated, all is at hand and comfortable. As an Interconti priority member, I also had access to the lounge for nibbles and drinks. As noted, elsewhere, the hotel buzzes, but it is in a secure location, and you never want for somewhere to eat, drink, shop, or simply have coffee. Recommended.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the right side of the hotel. One side looks over a highway and it can be a lit...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your review and for recommending our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the property, its location and the service provided.
In reference to your comment “the hotel is slightly dated”, we have been working on a major renovation program as of last year when we did the main lobby. This month we will start works in the lobby bar, the gym and Club Lounge. We are also in the process of doing some sample rooms to then rehabilitate all our guestrooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Very best regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I was very please with the service I received from the employees that served me.
Specially from the hostess at "Frutas y Flores", her name is Alejandra Ramirez, she made exeptional effort to help me with my needs at the restorant.

Also the maid that set my room ready to sleep, she also was of great assistance, making great effort to assist me too.
Unfortunately I didn't aske her for her name, but it was friday 29 of June.

The overall experience was very plesant.

Room Tip: Corner rooms at higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments, and I am very pleased to learn that the service provided was excellent. Thank you for recognizing Alejandra and the room attendant. I have shared your opinions with my team and we will congratulate these two employees for going the extra mile.
We look forward to having you back in the near future.
Best regards,

Toronto ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here twice in the past month and felt extremely comfortable in the hotel. Very typical business hotel - nice restaurants, attentive staff, nice boutiques throughout the complex. The hotel seems to be the preferred choice for politicians, celebs etc - there was a never ending rotation of security and police. I felt very safe here. Bonus: Starbucks directly across the street that opens at 6am. PS....Smoked Salmon from the restaurant on the 2nd floor is amazing!!

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room - an endless view of Mexico City that will take your breath away!
1 Thank bikinis_and_bandanas
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and our staff was attentive.
It is our goal to exceed guest expectations and make their stay a memorable one.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future, I remain,

Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Best part of this hotel: great location.

My partner and I stayed here for four nights: April 21-25, 2012. I liked the very central location in Polanco and it was a good value packaged together with my flight. The majority of the front of the house staff was very nice and helpful, but the woman at the concierge desk most of the time we were there was snippy (I don't know her name but she is small & short, and speaks pretty good English). Though clean, the lobby, open sitting area just below the lobby and the rooms are in huge need of a renovation. The seating in the open sitting area just below the lobby was old and cracked. The little tables need to be replaced. The carpeting is old and worn, though clean. Our room smelled musty, moldy and stuffy each time we returned to it. There was a stain on my sheet under the pillow. The in-room movie cost us almost USD $20...for one movie! We knew that before ordering it and it was our decision of course, but that is more than twice the cost of a movie in even nicer hotels. Unbelievable. The bathroom is in DESPERATE need of a renovation. I would not stay here again based on the bathroom alone. The toilet was something you would find in a public restroom. The wallpaper and flourescent lighting was straight out the 1980's. I could not beleive the drop ceiling and cracked caulking in the shower. Someone left their razor cover on the edge of the shower which housekeeping missed every day! We ordered two juices through room service which took almost an hour to arrive! It made us late in meeting up with a friend because we couldn't leave until the juices arrived. We didn't even want them by the time they came. On our final day at checkout, the man who checked us out (early 30's, curly dark hair) asked if we had eaten or drank any of the items in the room. I told him I ate one pack of granola bars. The form he gave me to sign had three packs listed. I asked why there were three, and he said something to the effect of, "well you ate three packs." I said, 'no, just one." He looked at me like he didn't beleive me, and said in a tone of disbelief, "in ALL of your stay, you're saying you had just ONE pack?" "yes!" He removed them and gave me a new form. We left our luggage at the front desk because our flight wasn't until 8:30 pm and we figured we would walk around the city to kill time. At 5:30 we picked up our luggage and I wanted to change clothes because we had been walking around all day and had a long trip back to the U.S. I asked the woman at the concierge desk (the woman I referenced earlier) if there was somewhere I could change, like in the spa upstairs. She instead directed me to the public bathroom in the sitting area below the lobby. Before venturing down there, I decided to check the spa to see if they would let me use the changing area because JW Marriott hotels let guests use the spa to change. The spa said I could, but I would need to purchase a showering service for $25! That's not what I needed or asked for. So, I headed down to the public bathroom - via the stairs with a 50 pound suitcase because there is no elevator! It is not right to have a guest change in a stalll, especially when the stall is so small that luggage cannot fit inside! I needed to leave my suitcase and computer bag unattended while I was inside the stall changing. It was very embarassing having to open my suitcase on the floor and dig through it on my hands and knees to find my clothes and toiletries while people walked around me to use the urinals.

All in all, I liked the proximity everything I wanted to do but I would not stay here again until its gone through a major refresh.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Guests,
I have read your review and apologize for the inconveniences you had, and for not meeting your expectations.
Regarding the Lobby bar at the lower level, I am glad to share with you that renovation works will start on July 9th and it will have a fresh and very nice look. We also are working on the sample rooms to then do the renovation of our guestrooms, including the bathrooms.
In reference to in-room movies, the cost depends on the type of picture you select. What we charge is the same as in other hotels.
I would like to reassure you that we take guests comments very seriously and I have shared your opinions with my team to make sure we improve both in terms of service and product.