“Great Location... just make sure they have water...”

InterContinental Presidente Mexico City
Ranked #20 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times. The hotel has a great location in Mexico City in trendy polanco. It is centrally located to the business district and there are several nice restaurants within walking distance. For this reason, I have always chosen this hotel. However, during my last visit, I woke up before a busy day of meetings to find that my room did not have any water. You could not turn on the faucet, take a shower, or flush the tolit. When I called down to reception, I learned that the pump to bring the water to the floors above level 10 broke! So everyone's rooms above floor 10 had no water!!! The receptionist did not really care at all, but I guess there was not much she could do.
So this meant that I had to spend a whole day in meetings feeling very icky from no shower! I was in Mexico City to make an impression to some clients -- but I couldn't even take a shower! It was miserable! When I returned that night the problem was fixed and they gave everyone cookies in their room. Kind of a joke in my opinion. This is supposed to be a business hotel --- and you couldn't even shower!

I am sure this was a one-off event, so I would recommend this hotel to business travellers. However, due to my terrible day without a shower, I will never be back! I was never given any compensation for the inconvenience either.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
YvetteT, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion in this social network. The feedback of our guests is very valuable to us and we thoroughly thank you for your comments on our service and location.

In regards to the water shortage during your stay, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience. You are right, it was due to the installation of new water pumps, however the interruption of the water should not have happened according to the contractors, We are, of course, aware of the great discomfort this has caused you and other guests.

We are sorry that we could not compensate you accordingly, as we did with other guests. We would very much appreciate if we may do so retrospectively or, hopefully, during your next stay in Mexico City. Please contact me directly in order to find out how we can reestablish your confidence in the Presidente InterContinental Mexico City.

Hoping to have the pleasure of hearing from you,

Sincerely yours,

yvette_thuering@interconti.com

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Presidente Mexico City

Reviewed 5 August 2010

I had a one night stay at the hotel. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and other intercontinental properties, and this hotel holds very high standards. I stayed on a room with a king size bed, very comfortable, the a/c worked just fine. I had a wonderful view towards the chapultepec park. Breakfast was great with a good service. Checkout was a breeze.

The location of the hotel is a very nice and safe part of the city which is a plus

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
MAA-PIC, Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Dear Mr. Escalante,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience in the social network.

We are highly motivated by your words and ensure you that we shall continue to strive for excellence.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Thank you for your patronage.

With warm regards,

The Management Staff at Presidente InterContinental Mexico City.

Reviewed 11 July 2010

Well, if you want to be in Mexico and don't know that you are in Mexico you can go the Presidente. On the otherhand you don't feel like being in Europe either - so what is the point.

The hotel is located in an expensive part of the city - that does give you an isolated feeling. You have to go to everywhere in the hotels' taxis (whose fare 2.5 times the regular ones).

I was booked on a program with half a pension - all we could get is a lousy western food like NY York stake or Pasta. But even those were barely eatable. A NY stake which was supposed to be rare - was really rare - it was frozen in the middle. .... Our requests for Mexican food instead were simply ignored. One of our colleagues summarized it properly "a few coupons won't prevent us from eating reasonable food" and indeed after one catastrophic meal we all ate outside all nights.

When you stay in what is considered to be a 5 star hotel you expect at least some sort of service but more than once I returned to my room at 6pm to find that there was "no time" to fix my room.

The bathroom features have seen better days. The rooms should have been renovated a long time ago. The aircondition unit was very noisy and nothing was done to fix it when I complained.

To top the icing on the cake the hotel put a hold on my credit card in a way that cause my credit card to block the card (even though I didn't charge anything).... The problem is not solved yet. And the hotel was not even trying to help.

And 20$ a day for a wifi connection is not cheep - go the sturbuck in front of the hotel!!!

In short - avoid this place if you have an option.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
YvetteT, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback in this forum.

It is thanks to guests like you that we get the opportunity to hear about impressions and opinions that have not come to our attention during the actual stay.

We followed up carefully on each point you mentioned in your review. Where we were able to reconstruct the incident, we reviewed our reports. Rest assured that we consistently put emphasis on the importance of immediate action in regards to our guests's feedback and concerns. We deeply apologize that this did not happen in your case.

Please allow us to inform that we also offer a 4 hours' internet access option, that costs MXP 100 (approx. USD 7.70). Unfortunately you were not informed upon check-in, and we have reinforced the training accordingly.

In regards to the liberation of amount held on your credit card upon arrival, we are sorry that it took 2 days after your departure. This delay was due to an external factor. We take your complaint as an example to try to reconfigurate our credit card processes with the bank.

We sincerely hope that you will visit Mexico City again in the future and then give us another opportunity. We would appreciate to be able to "repair" your impression of our hotel and service, as your business is very important to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

With best wishes for a good summer season and

kind regards from Mexico City

yvette_thuering@interconti.com

Reviewed 25 June 2010

I recently stayed at The Intercontinental to attend a conference for 2 days. I travel a lot and have stayed in many business as well as holiday hotels. After a previous visit to a big conference hotel in Mexico City that was less than satisfactory I was somewhat nervous of what I might find. The anxiety was compounded by some reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find the hotel exceeded expectations - good sized, attractive room, imbeccably clean, excellent friendly staff and truly excellent room service. The food was the best I have had from room service and the service prompt and friendly despite the fact I had run out of dollars for tipping. An excellent hotel of its type.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Brydon55
YvetteT, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience in a social network.

We are highly motivated by your comments and assure you that we shall continue to strive for consistency and excellence in service.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

With best wishes for a great summer season and

warm regards

Reviewed 6 June 2010

I stayed here four nights for business, and my feelings about this place are definitely mixed. It didn't seem to be of the same quality that I have seen at other Intercontinental properties, and maybe that's because it's older, but still.

Check-in went just fine. The staff had everything I needed and no problems. The lobby is huge and very loud, but a good place to just meet people and hang out while waiting. For whatever reason, I was given access to their club on the 39th floor, which was nice. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have eaten breakfast or picked up something small, and I wouldn't have gotten internet access (expensive!), both of which were free in the club.

The elevators - there are six of them, but they don't seem to move quickly, sometimes there was quite a wait for them. Other times they were just fine. Modern and spacious. I liked that they give you a lot of warning before they open, so you can be in front of the next one without having to run for it. There are a couple of pricey shops, but they aren't too bad - a couple of higher end gift places and a sundries place, which is so nice to have in a hotel. There is a concierge desk which was really helpful for us in terms of giving us addresses and suggestions for markets, restaurants, etc.

My room - I had requested a king size bed, and the only one available was in a handicapped-accessible room, so I don't know how applicable this will be for most readers. I was on the 14th floor, looking out over the auditorium. I thought it was fine, the view was okay, nice big picture windows. The TV was a flat screen with cable and a TON of channels. There is a safe which is great. The wake-up call button on the phone didn't work - either phone - but there was a clock radio which I used and was fine. One of the phones was a cordless, which is nice. Note on the minibar - it is a fridge sealed with one of those plastic tabs. So any time you open it you will be charged. So you can't buy drinks elsewhere, keep them in the fridge for coldness. There is voice mail on the phone but it's not really obvious when you have a message so you have to check. The A/C was very good. Nice accoutrements in the bathroom, hot, good water pressure in the shower even in the morning. But, the tap says "potable water". Note that it isn't. And they are supposed to have a complementary large bottle of water in the room for you daily, so you can use this and not use the tap water. Alas - they NEVER put a bottle of water in there for me. I learned about the gratis water from my colleagues the last day. So coupled with the "potable" sign and the no water, and the quality I associate with the IC chain, I assumed the water was safe for tooth brushing. My GI tract is STILL paying for this mistake and am very unhappy with the hotel for not giving me water. The bed was fine, although there were just 2 standard size pillows and they were kind of squishy. The one thing I really didn't like was that the room soundproofing was not great. The room was next to the service closets, and I could hear all kinds of banging around - and it was really banging. Near to the elevators, this room was - it sounded like Las Vegas. So I would have pushed for a soundproofing retrofit for the doors near to these places. I didn't hear my neighbors through the walls, just the hallway sounds.

On the first night, I arrived late and ordered room service - onion soup and also a Chinese style rice. First there was a problem because they wanted to charge me more than the menu said. I had to argue with the waiter and he called down and said (in Spanish - my Spanish was better than his English, which is crazy because my Spanish was pretty bad) to me that I had an old menu and this is the new one and these are the new prices. Well, the old menu was in my room, not the new one, and it's not my fault it was there - how was I supposed to know? And the difference was something like 60 pesos - pretty substantial for an already-expensive room service meal. That wasn't even the worst part. There was a broken piece of glass in the onion soup! It was probably 1-1.5 cm square and jagged. I called down right away, and they said they would send someone up right away. It was something like 15-20 minutes later, which I felt was very poor, but then I saw why, that same poor waiter had ANOTHER bowl of onion soup in his hands! Like I would want to eat anything else out of that kitchen?! Barely - and I do mean barely - apologetic. I told him to take it all away, I wasn't hungry anymore after that point, and he told me they wouldn't charge for the soup. Frankly, I think I deserved a lot more than that - I shudder to think what could have happened if I had swallowed that piece of glass. In my mind they should have written off the rice as well, not just the soup, and someone, a manager or someone, should have called me and apologized.

Ironically, I had lunch two days with the conference I was at, and the food and the horchata were both excellent both days. The first day we had tortilla soup which had pork in it, and when I told them to take mine as I don't eat pork, they came back and gave me one that was chicken, which I thought was a really nice thing to do. Conference facilities were pretty good, there were a number of others at the same time and we never really were bumping into them even though all our conference areas opened into the same lobby. (Which, by the way, was sweltering hot - I think the roof is all skylights.) There is no pool, which was too bad. I overheard one of the hotel staff telling visitors that when the hotel was constructed no one thought a pool would be necessary, and now it's hard to put a pool in since the hotel grounds and the area are all built. It would be great for this hotel and the Nikko next door to each give up a little land and have a joint pool.

The 39th floor - what a nice thing, this lounge. Breakfast is above a straight continental breakfast, but is simple and not a lot there. Cereal, juices, milk, coffee and tea, fruits, some meat items, cheeses, offerings like taquito or quesadilla. It's not like those enormous European spreads, but it is more than enough to do the trick. The views are spectacular. The internet is free to use here - they have 2 computers and rarely did I have to wait. (Printing does cost, though, I think like 5 pesos which is a little less than $.50) They also have a great happy hour - there are beers and wine, and always coffee and sodas, with desserts, chips, again the little Mexican style snacky things. It's a very nice touch.

Location - this is in Polanco, which is a kind of chichi area. There are lots of restaurants and bars and clubs nearby, so I'd recommend hitting some of them - it's safe enough to walk at night, if you aren't alone. (For taxis, get one from the hotel, don't jump into any one off the street.) If you go out the back of the hotel, not where the taxis are but where the yellow sculpture is, and cross the little street and take the path into the little park, the metro is super close, and there are all these little stalls that line the path up to the metro, so you can buy water, snacks, food, magazines, I think even maybe little tourist stuff, all along there. It's safe in daylight to do this. There is also a 7-11 across the street from the hotel's entrance (where the cars go). There was security - I saw one security guy on the back side, ask someone whether he was a guest or not, and show the key. This same guy was also really helpful with directions, etc. and was really nice.

Another problem was the check-out. I checked out with two colleagues. We all were there for the same conference, all registered by the same entity, with the same rate. Yet we received three different totals - we were charged different rates, some were charged different rates of taxes, one of us was charged a conference fee that she shouldn't have been. It took over half an hour to sort through this, and it was problematic and distressing that they didn't have a better command or organization on their end for this. If we hadn't all done it together and compared, we would have never known, and the amounts were pretty significant - well over $100/night difference in some cases!

While it had its high points, I think next time I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
flyingking, Gerente at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. Your comments and patronage are important to us; you are a valued customer and it is our goal to not just meet, but also exceed our guests expectations.

The experience you describe is certainly not typical of the level of quality we deliver to our guests. We truly regret that we failed your expectations. By copy of this letter to our department heads we are requesting all issues be reviewed; however, explanations after the facts are unacceptable and our main concern at this point is that you did not receive the service you deserve and have every right to expect from our company.

Very respectfully, we would like to follow up on the situations you kindly reported in order to prevent them from happening again. For this reason, I kindly ask you to please contact me to my email adress ricardo_suarez@interconti.com as I need to find more details about your stay.

The comfort you derive from our facilities and service is our main objective. Rest assured that we will strive to anticipate your needs and are committed to ensuring your total satisfaction.

With warm regards,

Ricardo Suarez
Operations Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2010

A wonderful hotel at the very best location in this metropolis.
Efficient and VERY friendly staff
Fantastic views over the city from the lounge and upper floors
Great restaurants, especially" the tete de cochon".
Great bellcaptain and staff
All in all a great hotel at a great location and very efficient and outstanding management and staff

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I had been told about the excellent service that Mexicans provide, however the staff at Presidente InterContinental Mexico City exceeded my expectations.
I stayed over a week and during the work-days their Business Service staff and Concierge were extremely helpful to a stressed-guy such as myself. During the weekend I enjoyed of the weather by walking to the best Museums and stores in the Reforma - Polanco area, everything's very close to the Hotel. Congratulations to the Chef of the Italian Restaurant, pastas are magnificent... Can't wait to come back !

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business