“Amazing Stay !”

Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico
Ranked #3 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here in April for business and the location was amazing. Not only was I able to walk around the beautiful Zocalo and church after my work was done for the day but they had great recommendations for fine dining which was also walking distance. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Mexico City and for business or pleasure. The hotel is simply breath taking. They were kind enough to bring me complimentary dessert after checking in and once again after my first night there alongside a list of things to do and see the following morning as well as a hand-woven miniature doll with a story of its meaning for their culture. Simply amazing service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Vanessa A
GuestService_Online, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

It’s a pleasure to read you have enjoyed your stay in the Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico; we are pleased to know that you enjoyed every detail and attention of our staff. We serve with respect, warmth, pride and efficiency ensuring the total satisfaction of our guests. For each one of us, it will be an honor to have the opportunity of welcome you again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here on a recent business trip after recommended by a friend and I was not disappointed. You would easily pay twice the going rate for a hotel of this class in USA or Europe. Loved the architecture, antique lifts (modern ones are available as well) and décor. Was welcomed by attentive staff with Champagne at check-in, lots of useful advice from concierge and nice turn-down with chocolates. The location is perfect, just off the Zocalo (main square) and close to many attractions. My room faced the side street and I had no noise whatsoever. I had a nice and reasonably priced breakfast at the hotel too but did not have time to try the exercise room, bar, or other amenities. If I am called to Mexico City again I will definitely try to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate your kindly comment, it is very gratifying to know that your stay at Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de Mexico exceeded your expectations; besides being characterized for having one of the most spectacular panoramic views of Mexico City’s Historic Center, we are known for being people committed to providing each of our guests: personalized service and unique experiences, so that each of our employees will always provide the best attention. It will be a real honor to see you again on your next visit to Mexico City; we can assure you will be greeted with open arms

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel at about 9.00pm and were greeted by super friendly and helpful check in staff - and a glass of champagne to drink while we were checking in. A welcome gift of little chocolates in our room was the icing on the cake. We headed out that night and found a lovely upstairs bar with the Mexican band roaming the room and serenading the patrons. Couldn't have found a better place. The room was huge and spotlessly clean, and the bed so comfortable that we had a great night's sleep. Up very early for sightseeing and checked out without a hassle. The ceiling in the foyer is amazing and contains 10,000 pieces of glass, so we were told by one of the very proud staff. We didn't get up to the pool or the roof ….. maybe next time! My only regret is that we didn't have time to stay longer. This hotel would have to be one of the better hotels I have stayed in - a large percentage of that being the fabulous staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AustraliaDebra
GuestService_Online, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear guest thank you so much for your review, we feel so proud that you enjoyed every detail that Gran Hotel offers you. At Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico our entire staff will always assist you with all your needs and special requirements to make of your stay with us an unforgettable experience.
We hope to welcome you soon and then maybe you can visit the rooftop restaurant “Terraza” which is well known for having a spectacular view of Mexico City´s Zocalo, Metropolitan Cathedral and National Palace.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

As all reviews mentioned, the hotel is a architecture gem in the historical center of Mexico. I had an executive suite with the view on the Zocalo where something always happen (raising of the flag, concert, demonstrations...) so noisy. Nevertheless I enjoyed the location and slept well with earplugs. The room was large and has everything including tea cattle, iron and mini bar. The large TV was not working but got fixed straight away. The bathroom was also very spacious with a bathtub. The shower was really strong and practical. Actually my colleague had a normal room next door and it was very the same space and features with only an entrance with sofa and chair in the suite.
I stayed a few days and enjoyed every night coming back to the hotel a glass of sparkling wine at the reception. The girls were really nice and friendly.

Breakfast was included and it is not a buffet but a la carte. It was good though I prefer buffets with large choices. The service was a bit hectic in the morning; waiters were nice but often we had to ask several times and one morning a cup of coffee was poured in the back of a client.
The restaurant on the roof is great. Margaritas are very generous and excellent! The food was good.
I really like very much the calm and special atmosphere of this hotel and will certainly go back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate you took the time for sharing your experience at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico; it’s a pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with us. For every one of us it’s a pleasure to create on our guests unforgettable experiences, mixing the architecture and decoration of the hotel with the quality and warmth service. We are glad you enjoyed all the facilities that the hotel offers you. We will be waiting for you with open arms!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is absolutely beautiful! We enjoyed our room (Jr. Suite) which overlooked the Zocalo. A little loud at times (noise from the Zocalo) but a comfortable and spacious room. Staff was extremely helpful to all guests so we were able to see the sights within our price range. Location was perfect since many sights were within walking distance or easy to get to with the Metro (access almost across the street). We had one meal in their restaurant at the top of the hotel (with a fabulous hibiscus margarita). The view is worth it (the food was good as well). We were lucky to have arrived right before a lengthy festival of countries in the Zocalo so we had ample entertainment at night. If you are big into night life then this is not your location - this is more of a daytime location with lots of shopping opportunities within walking distance and access to various sights. Breakfast was included with our room and the fresh fruit every morning was refreshing and a great way to start the day. Their breakfast options should fit all tastes and get you going! I strongly recommend this hotel. Oh, and the amenities in the extremely large bathroom covered everything! Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, face soap, hand soap, shower cap, shoe shine, toothbrush & toothpaste (for one day), and a shaving kit.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Zocalo. Noise generally ends before 10pm and you will have the opportuni...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lkondrat
GuestService_Online, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

It's so rewarding to read a nice comment, we are very proud to know you totally enjoyed your experience with us, we make an effort to create great memories to our guests; we appreciate your comments and your kindly recommendation. As you well mentioned Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico is located just in the middle of a busy city where it is always happening things interesting to watch and live. We look forward to receive you soon; it will be a total pleasure.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed three nights in Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico in early May 2014, for a short holiday break after a conference in Veracruz. Having not been particularly impressed with the hotels I encountered in Veracruz, I was uncertain about what to expect when I arrived this hotel, particularly since it is not at all an expensive hotel in international context.

Since my room overlooked one of the busiest plazas in Mexico City there was a bit of noise during the day and into the evening, but during the night it was quiet enough for me to sleep well.

All my worries were swept away the moment I stepped out of the cab. The whole staff performed absolutely perfectly and gave me the full five star experience throughout. I was greeted with a glass of sparkling wine at the check in counter, and followed to a beautiful, nicely furnished and spotlessly clean room overlooking the Zocalo. A tiny bit of wear and tear to the interior did not trouble me one bit, but added to the historic feel.

The architecture of the lobby is an experience in itself, and the main reason I selected this hotel. The service in the roof top restaurant and bar is friendly and good. The buffet food was admittedly not fantastic, but sipping a drink while watching the blue hour over the Zocalo in the evening is what took me there two nights in a row (but I had food there only the first night).

Breakfast was very good, and service from all staff continued to be superb through my stay. Great helpfulness with all questions I had, and they rapidly arranged a car with English speaking driver when requested.

Definitely a hotel I would like to come back to!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank aquatics

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent experience with us, we are glad you enjoyed it. For us it is a pleasure to provide the best service during your stay to ensure that you carry an unforgettable experience. As you said, our rooftop restaurant “Terraza” offers the most spectacular view of Mexico City’s Zocalo, National Palace and the Metropolitan Cathedral so it make it a great place for enjoy a drink or our Brunch. Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to receive you soon, will be a pleasure.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Their breakfast is great and the staff for the breakfast, lunch and Dinner service are very nice and friendly.
overall I always have best experience during my stay. Keep up the great work!!! love to like this hotel..amazing and helpfull staff

Room Tip: very attractive and cleaniness!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank johana_alfaro

It is very satisfying for us to know you enjoy your stay and that the services our collaborators provide you are to your liking. Our staff is compromised in offering our guests personalized attention and unique experiences. Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico provides its guests two fabulous restaurants: Terraza and Café Ciudad de México where our chefs will always delight you with our delicious menu. Thank you for your preference, we hope to welcome you, soon.