“Classic older hotel located on Zocalo near national palace.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico

Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico
Ranked #2 of 304 Hotels in Mexico City
nampa, id
“Classic older hotel located on Zocalo near national palace.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

Gracious hotel, four story open center with incredible stained glass ceiling. We stayed in a suite with a sitting room. Very quiet, clean and near the main city square. Two blocks from the national palace where Diego Rivera's murals are displayed. It has a fourth floor restaurant where you can eat on the patio overlooking the square. Good food and service. Near shopping and subway.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank minniemo
Carlos R, General Director at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, 10 August 2015
Thank you very much for your comment. Our hotel has an excellent location (in the heart of the city), which will make your stay more affordable. It is noteworthy that will always be a pleasure to have your visit, providing excellent service and the best facilities. We await you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

At the end of two-week trip traveling through Mexico and culminating in Mexico City, I thought staying at the Gran Hotel would be the cherry on the cake. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with the room (uncomfortable bed), service (lost one of my shirts sent for laundry) and location (Zocalo is a ghost town at night with nothing to do and nowhere to eat). Also, after losing my shirt it took many weeks and follow-up e-mails/phone calls to get the reimbursement I was promised. The only things I can recommend are seeing the hotel lobby and having the weekend brunch on the rooftop, but you don't need to be a guest to enjoy either of those. Otherwise stay somewhere else and just peek in for a minute; that's all the time you'll need.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Artur084
Hotel_el_Ejecutivo, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
The Zocalo, being the main square in Mexico City, is full of joy during the day and at night there are several restaurants and cafeterias that tourists like to frequent. From time to time, the Zocalo offers different events and performances. Our concierge will be happy to inform you about any attraction or event around the area, and even make reservations for you in any restaurant.
We are really sorry about any inconvenient our laundry service may have caused, it is an unusual situation that do not happen often. We always take responsibility of our clients’ belongings, therefore, any debt will gladly be paid.
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

I stayed one night in this hotel. I was exhausted from travelling so wanted to relax one day in a comfortable environment with a TV & remote control and room service. The hotel and indeed the room was beautiful and I had a lovely bath before settling in front of the TV. Apart from that, the service was indeed awful. After just one hour of arriving, room service knocked on my door 3 times offering me fresh towels, a refill to the minibar and anything else I might fancy. When I finally did want room service to bring up food, they did not answer the phone. No, actually they did, and then they hung up on me because they didn't understand my request. After that they didn't answer the phone. Checking in and checking out was a real test on my patience because it took so damn long. And why were there so many people sleeping in the reception area at night? If this is a kind of charity to homeless people, well I guess that's nice of the hotel to offer. But couldn't the people be offered beds instead of the sofas in the reception? All in all, the hotel was nice but I would have expected a better, or shall we say more thoughtful and relevant service at that price.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_el_Ejecutivo, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
We are really sorry about the inconvenients our room service may have caused. We assure you that this is not our regular service, above all, we respect our clients privacy and comfort. We will ensure with the concerned departments that these situations do not happen again. Thanks for the comment, that is how we improve our service.
Jamesburg, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Our business causes us to travel a lot, many hotels. This weekend was a pleasure trip. The greatest discovery, by chance, was the Gran Hotel of Mexico City, a step back in time. The huge Tiffany stained glass ceiling by Jacques Gruber, five stories above the lobby, the antique and in use Otis elevator, along with the several 6' high Art Deco bird cages and their singing inhabitants…all perfectly maintained….well, I can't say it any other way…added a new dimension to "romantic."

Though I told my wife I left work at home, the room had excellent WiFi!

Another bonus is its location on the Zócalo, a full city block plaza, in front of the Metropolitan Cathedral, National Palace and Supreme Court complex. We bought a day pass for one of several open-top tour buses at the corner by the hotel. There is an endless line of taxis at the square whose drivers were more than anxious to get us where we were going efficiently…along with tour narration.

The minor downside, for me, was I wished I had an extra pillow. I mentioned this at check out just in passing, and I think I hurt their feelings that I had not just mentioned it to them sooner. I should have known better after experiencing the attentive service at their restaurant and roof top café. I was a bit hesitant because of language, but the staff was indeed proficiently bi-lingual. Don't be shy, they are very willing to make you comfortable.

Our next romantic weekend will be at the Gran Hotel. We spent so much time relaxing at the hotel and shopping the endless jewelry shops on the square, we missed the huge archeological dig one block away! See the cover story of November 2010 National Geographic, the Search for the Greatest Aztec. A Gran culture indeed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank czapigaj
Thank you for giving us know your kind comment. We are pleased that our facilities have been to his liking, as the style "Nouveau", also our dazzling stained glass "Tiffany" is one of the most outstanding designs offered by our Hotel. Something very important is that we are in a central location near a variety of museums, historical monuments, shops, which can make your stay more satisfying. It will always be a pleasure to have your visit.
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

Me and my father stayed at this hotel for two nights during our around the world-trip. When you enter the lobby you see the beautiful birds in two cages and the amazing glass roof. Although it's around 100 years old it really looks and feels fresh while keeping the old touch. The room was great with a view of the plaza outside. Even though you could stay here only for the beauty of it you wont be dissapointed with the great staff. Often it's hard to find a person that knows good enough english so that you could ask and have a conversation about some more difficult stuff. Raphael was one of those who knew english well and helped us alot with flight reservations and guiding. A really great guy that goes the distance for every guest!

If you are in Mexico City you really should stay here!

• Stayed October 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your comment. For us it will always be honored to have your sight, and provide our excellent service. We are pleased that our facilities have been to his liking and satisfying stay. We look forward to your visit again.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

Since it was my first time to Mexico City, I wanted to book myself a hotel located in central downtown. The hotel photos and information look appealling on the internet. Given such location and promotion room rate at US$95 inclusive of tax (without breakfast) I booked myself this hotel.
Turn out this hotel do meet all my requests. I am happy to recommend to other travellers.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your preference. It is satisfying to know that your stay in our hotel was completely to your liking, from our beautiful facilities to our excellent service. We have an excellent view from our terrace and the exquisite brunch that will make your stay unique. It will always be a pleasure to have your visit.
Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

Time flies fast. I sttayed at this hotel 25 years ago. At the time it was a beautiful, mellow place. So, when I came back to DF and stayed in Polanco I decided to extend my stay in Mexico City at this hotel. I took a taxi from Polanco to Zocalo and came to this hotel to arrange a reservation. At the top of the stairs there were 2 men. I told them that I had not been at the hotel 25 years ago and wanted to look around, get some coffee and reserve a room. The man on my right told me that I could not go in. So, I asked for a manager. He pointed to the man on the left of me who confirmed that I could not go in. Both of them spoke good English. They gave me no explanation. Their body language was very hostile. Such attitude is disgusting. Granted, I am from the USA, don't know the "important" people and not a member of the local elite but to deny entrance to someone who wanted to stay at the hotel without any explanation from an American perspective is very offensive. I doubt they even care what someone thinks of their hotel. We can only imagine what would have happened if a Mexican visitor had been denied entrance to any hotel in the USA without an explanation. They would have sued the establishment the following day and it would make the front page news but when we are in Mexico we have to swallow our pride, be quiet and move on.. Regardless, I would never stay there and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_el_Ejecutivo, Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
We do care about our clients’ feedback and appreciate it, therefore we have created a special department to attend and solve any kind of comments and complaints. Our security team is in charge to keep our guests’ well being 24/7, by no means they pretend to disturb any client or visitor, moreover, they are well welcome to know our historical building and even take photographs inside. Nevertheless, we are going to avoid the possibility it could happen again to anybody.