Hotel La Casona
Hippodrome Hotel(Mexico City)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel PF(Mexico City)
View Hotel
Hotel Block Suites(Mexico City)
View Hotel
All reviewsboutique hotelcomfortable amenitiesroma neighborhoodgreat neighborhoodlarge bathroomchapultepec parkroma norteno elevatorthe location is perfectlovely hotelhistoric buildinglate at nightliving roombreakfast was deliciouswithin easy walking distancelight sleeperthe air conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I really liked this hotel. A world away from corporate nonsense card key hotels, with a nice courtyard bar with nice simple food and friendly staff. Internet in rooms, which was free. Excellent breakfast. Great location. Interesting decor, with just the right amount of attention to detail.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2013

If you want to see the best of modern, upscale Mexico City, you could hardly have a better location - smack dab in Roma Norte and fairly close to Condesa and Polanco (all interesting, trendy, safe neighborhoods, with excellent bars and restaurants). Also convenient for getting around town, as you are close to the major avenues like Insurgentes, Reforma, etc.

Service was excellent (the front desk spoke English), decent breakfast buffet, free internet, in-house water filter - all a plus! The individually decorated rooms definitely fit the "boutique hotel" aesthetic - not luxury, but a worthwhile step above bland chain hotels. The vibe is definitely comfy. Also, they let me choose between two different rooms, which was nice. All-in-all, no complaints.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank clumsy_plumsy
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We arrived 4 hours late due to our plane being delayed so by the time we got to the hotel it was 10pm. There was no room service available nor were we offered anything to eat or drink. The mini bar was empty and my husband had to go across the road to the store and buy some beer! We had foam pillows, some of which which we eventually got changed. The room was dark, even with the lights on and there was no view except from the bathroom which opened on to the street. The reception staff were especially unhelpful and the breakfast we did have mas mediocre at best. In a country where fruit and coffee are good and plentiful we had tinned fruit salad on offer and the coffee was weak and tasteless. On our second morning we were informed that the restaurant didn't open til 8 on a Sunday so we could go across the road and pay for a breakfast at a fast food place |(which they didn't know was open anyway). The one redeeming feature was the furniture in the hotel which is exquisite , vintage and beautiful but it doesn't make up for the horrendous start to our trip. I disagree with people who say that the hotel is in a good area...on our return to Mexico City we refused to stay there and the neighbourhood we stayed in was so much better.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ssw57
Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel over all is fine, but there were somethings that really irked me. Before the ugly, the good. The hotel is in a very good neighborhood. I felt safe and there were plenty of places to walk to. The room was also spacious. The bad: The hotel is old, and you can hear everything. In the middle of the night, I would be woken up by people walking around and some type of banging. Also, the electronics in the room are old and difficult to use. For example, the buttons are the TV remote are worn, and it is difficult to change the channel. Another example, my hair dryer stopped working. I called down for a spare. The front clerk sent a gentleman up who could only tell me that the hair dryer was hot. We called the front desk clerk who told me that the hair dryer was broken and they didn't have another one. I can tell the hair dryer was old, and think that something like hair dryers 1. should be replaced often and 2. hotels should have back-up incase they fail.

One more thing, the pillows are hard memory foam pillows. Not easy to sleep on.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank colleengrant
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Just came back from spending a long weekend at the La Casona. I was meeting a close friend for the weekend and wanted something intamate and cozy. The La Casona fit the bill. I booked the room based on the reviews here, the location, and the priice I found on the web.

To be honest when I first got to the hotel I was not all that impressed. I think it was the difference between the pictures on the site and reality. It also could have been the 1+ hour drive from the airport in crazy friday rush traffic. Hoever my opinion of the hotel changed rapidly.

Our room was quite comfortable with a king size bed and large bath with shower/bath. Things were clean and well maintained. The only problem in our room was that the curtain didn't work great but it was very servicable.

What was very special was the attention that we recieved from the staff - including to my surprise - the owners of the hotel. Our out of room hangouts became the front salon and the patio behind the restaurant. It was on the back patio that we met the owners while they were entertaining guests/family. They were warm and cordial and asked about our visit. One night when we came back and wanted coffee and the bar had already closed, the owner sent one of the staff out to get us coffee and never even charged us for it.

The only negative to our experience in the hotel was that it took a while for us to get the room cleaned during the day. It was after 4 each day. I think they were short staffed for the weekend or maybe they are just trying to economize a bit. We let the front desk know about the issue and the front desk manager sent us a bottle to apologize for the delay which was a nice touch.

As has been said, the location is great - good restaurantes, shopping, and entertainment are all close by. I wish it was a bit closer to a metro stop, but you can't have it all.

Room Tip: If I return, I would like to be on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple