“OK. Old but kind of interesting.”
Review of Emporio Reforma

Emporio Reforma
Ranked #29 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Dallas
“OK. Old but kind of interesting.”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is an old, clean, hotel in Reforma. Old means lots of beautiful stone and materials in the architecture, but it also means lots and lots of steps up and down. Your rolling luggage is going to be a pain to move around. The breakfast buffet is a waste of time and money unless you are a fan of very traditional Mexican breakfasts. Just a big room with no view or atmosphere to speak of. I would say hit the beautiful coffee shop in the lobby with the view of the avenue, but they are sllooooowwwww! Never fear, the avenue just out the door is fantastic and there are many wonderful places to grab something within walking distance.

By today's standards, the rooms are Microtel tiny. My room had a window, but it was behind a wall so I couldn't see anything. Reforma has a bunch of these great little old hotels. This one has a great location but just around the corner are better ones. I will try to stay at a different one every time, just so I can review them and compare.

I found the staff friendly and helpful, but pretty tedious and time consuming. There was no line when I checked out, but it still took 15 minutes. My USA Mastercard caused them a lot of time on the computer figuring out how to charge me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window that isn't blocked by a structure.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank joelinda
Emporio_Mexico_Hotel, General Manager at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thanks for your feedback, everyone will try to service and offers the best that we can. The Hotel has different kind of rooms and views. The Restaurant is Mexican food a buffet, the other option is a Coffee Shop in the lobby.

We hope that you will visit us again soon, thanks again for your comments.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Miami
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Nice hotel near the city center. The room was super clean and the buffet breakfast was wonderful. We had a problem with the safe and they sent someone right away. The room however was quite small but worth my money

Room Tip: .Order a double room. The standard is very small if you are going to be sharing a bed
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Emporio_Mexico_Hotel, General Manager at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We really appreciate your comments and it is a pleasure for us to know your stay was comfortable and nice. Everytime, we try to continue with the same service and quality. One more time thank you very much.

Aus
Reviewed 5 July 2013

A good portion of the hotel staff do not speak any English. At night time its even worse. I had to make about 7 phone calls to try to order room service. Which wasnt what I ordered, 3 times they brought the wrong dish, before I got the right order (it took over an hour to get my food because of this). Many times when I called they put me on hold and hung up on me. It was very confusing.
I wouldnt know how good the location is because I was a girl flying SOLO and as soon as I stepped onto the streets the whole world was staring at me. Do not wear shorts in mexico. Or singlets. Regardless of weather. Because of the unsafe feeling when leaving the hotel I mainly stayed at the hotel unless my local friends were able to take me out. The wifi in my room was non existant. You will have to be in the lobby to get any useful type of reception.
Otherwise I loved the service, the room was great (my mexican friend told me its the best room he's ever seen), the prices were good too.
If I came again I would make sure I speak spanish for less problems, and definately wear jeans and a hoody regardless of the 30+ degree heat.... It's the only way you can fit in if you leave the hotel =P

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PkTravelling
Emporio_Mexico_Hotel, Director General at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear,

We really sorry for the inconvenience, Could you please give more information about the person in the hotel that do not speak English and which was your room number and your check in the hotel because we are going to investigate about that person, because it is very important to us to understand all the things that our guests needs.

All the time we are trying to offered a good service, but in this occasion that was not possible, sorry again and I wish you forget the inconvenience and give us another opportunity to serve you as you deserve; just remember all good things in the hotel.

Thanks for your feedback, we hope that you will visit us again soon

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I chose this hotel based on its location and reviews. In summary, while it has a few faults I thought it was great and would stay here again. The hotel is nicely appointed, and although the rooms are perhaps smallish on American standards, I found my single room to be perfectly adequate. I stayed here for 7 nights for business and the desk and chair in the room are good. My room was not facing the main street and I didn't hear any street noise. The walls are on the thin side, but I found that turning the air conditioning on meant I didn't hear anything. (Yes, the AC is very noisy but it was fine for me). The staff was always friendly and attentive, although sometimes I had to talk to a couple of people before I found an English speaker. Breakfast is outstanding and the service in the restaurant is impeccable. The hotel staff are able to arrange taxis, usually the tourist taxis, at short notice. I found these taxis very expensive compared to the normal taxis, but I have been told that it is very dangerous to hail cabs on the street as you may be subject to crime. The SITIO taxis that you can find at taxi stands are cheaper and a bit safer than hailing off the street. I didn't mind paying a bit more for safety reasons. Each evening I received a chocolate and a card with the weather forecast, which was a lovely touch. Room service was prompt, affordable and good, although if you can, you really should eat Mexican food while you're here - it's just so amazing!

I got a good price on the room and for the price I don't think I could have gotten a better deal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Joanna M
Emporio_Mexico_Hotel, General Manager at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thanks a lot for you review. we really appreciate your comments I take the notes for improve the services. About the taxi, the cost is high definitely at difference with another however that taxis are 100% safe.

We hope that you will visit us again soon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed here on a Business Trip because of its location close to the Mexican Senate. Breakfast is simply amazing and the rooms -though very noisy- are somewhat ample and comfortable, especially the beds. You can hear everything on the hallways. However, the staff was awful. Do not trust anyone at this hotel save for Mr Manuerl. Front desk manager Mr Placido charged me 70USD for a phone call I did from the front desk even after I asked for his help for a call collect procedure. The manager (Director) refunded me half, but after I had left my bags for the final day of work, they broke my souvenirs. when I asked for explanations, nobody was responsible, not even apologize. Pity because it would otherwise be a good hotel. Not recommend it at all and will never return, having so many other lodging options in Mexico

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Antdlf
EmporioReforma, General Manager at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
I appreciate the time taken to send us your feedback. I've had feedback with Mr. Plácido and the front desk staff and bell boys. I will give more training to employees to take responsibility for the care and satisfaction of our guests. It saddens me that such a situation has affected their perception of Hotel Emporio Reforma.

I invite you again to give us the opportunity to serve you in the future and show that we can exceed your expectations when traveling to Mexico City.
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have been staying at the Emporio for years and would not consider changing to another. I have stayed at more than a dozen high end and medium priced hotels in DF, and have not found a better hotel.

The rooms are exceptionally nice and well appointed. The staff is extremely attentive. After my first stay it was a year before the second visit. Although, I had no reservation, and thus was not expected, the manager actually remembered my name as I approached the front desk with a smile and a "Ah, Mr. Hood, it is a great pleasure to have you return!" I was in shock!

The restaurant is one of the best places to eat in the city, with the fresh fruit, vegetables and excellent cuts of meat. I particularly enjoy having the pleasant woman behind the grill cook my omelet each morning as I watch - not to make sure she gets it right, because she always does - but to enjoy her efficiency as she goes though the steps of preparing breakfast for perhaps 50 or more people at a time, with never an error.

The bar is very well stocked and the bartender is always conscious. Once a gentleman, who had a few drinks, accidentally knocked his glass over and the bartender not only did not charge him for the drink, but called for a bellhop to escort the gentleman to his room as he was obviously at the end of his evening. I liked knowing that they care about their clients health and welfare.

As Edith Piaf would have said, NO REGRETS!

Room Tip: The higher floors are away from the noise of the street and are better appointed in many ways.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank NomadicAdventurist
EmporioReforma, General Manager at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
We really really appreciate your comments and it is a pleasure for us to know your stay was comfortable and nice. Everytime, we try to continue with the same service and quality. One more time thank you very much.

We hope that you will visit us again soon
omaha, nebraska
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights over the new year and it was perfect. Quiet (even though it's located right on Reforma), exceptionally clean, and a soft bed. We stumbled back to the hotel most nights in dire need of some unwinding and the nice TV with ample HBO channels allowed us to rest and recharge before setting out each day on our Mexico City adventures!

Room Tip: Try to get on of the "10" rooms (110, 210, 310, 410, etc). These are located next to the e...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amy c
We sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your comments. We hope that you will visit us again soon.