“A terrific surprise!”

Ranked #34 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Turku, Finland
“A terrific surprise!”
Reviewed 28 July 2010

It's been a year since I stayed at this hotel, but wanted to write a review even this late, as I had such a pleasant surprise while staying there. This hotel is definitely best suited for business travelers and conferees, given its ambience and decor. My room was pretty small and dark, so I would specifically ask for one that is not so dark. The hotel has an excellent service and the breakfast served at the restaurant is amazing. But the best part was when I forgot a wad of cash in a pocket and sent the lot to the laundrette. My colleagues and I took a vote whether it would be returned and the consensus was an overwhelming "no." But as I came back, I found on my bed my laundry and all the money neatly folded on top of the laundry. Who would have guessed? What a terrific surprise!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Allforservice
Emporio_Mexico_Hotel, Manager at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
We are pleased to know you could feel "the Emporio Experience" and you have had a great stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Paris
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Pros: very comfortable beds, nice bathroom amenities, efficient housekeeping staff, excellent breakfast buffet. Cons: very noisy air conditioning in the room, old bathtub. Check-out was an unpleasant experience as the hotel staff took 30 minutes to finally agree that they should use the total price in our confirmation of reservation in USD, and not try to charge us 15% more using a new MXN-USD exchange rate. I would recommend the hotel to people who would like to visit the historical center of the City. Next time, I will stay in Condesa or Coyoacan, where there are more restaurants and cafés open in the evening, rather than on the Paseo de la Reforma.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
We are glad to know that our hotel and staff exceed your expectations about comfort and service.
We appreciate your comments and we will consider those to offer you the best in a near future..
UK
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Good location in a safe business district. The hotel is well turned out and so are the staff. It is mainly used for business but we used this as a base for a bit of sightseeing. There is a bus stop for the sightseeing tour 5 mins walk away. Good value and very clean, would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Thank you, we are really excited that your stay with us was great and we hope to see you in Emporio reforma soon..
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2010

In a hectic city like Mexico City absolutely is- one needs a little safe heaven to rest. Emporio Reforma serves this role very well. Safe, clean and reliable and with a lots of personeel everywhere at your service 24 hours a day. The cleaning service cleaned my room just perfect. Great hotel! Will definitely go back there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Dear guest, your comments are very important for us, was a pleasure to serve you and we are waiting your visit again..
Burlington, VT
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I booked Emporio Reforma for a recent trip to Mexico City mostly due to the strong TA reviews and thought it represented good value. Well it was certainly cheap enough, but stick this place in the 'you get what you pay for' category. I arrived late at night, walked into the lobby, which I found dark and seedy. I got very suspicious so before checking in and asked to see a room, which was only marginally better than the lobby, but certainly not four star calibre. Room was small and it stank of mildew. Needless to say, i didn't stay. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a luxury four star property - it isn't even close.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jdr27
First, thank you very much for your comments, we try to offer our best service since we were remodeled.
The hotel was decorated with an European-Contemporary style. Tranquility, warmth and courtesy are some of the main characteristics you will find in our property. We hope that very soon you know our service..
Opus73
Reviewed 21 April 2010

After staying here previously and enjoying it, my partner and I returned in Dec. '09 for two nights. We booked our room online. When we arrived at the hotel, we were informed that we had no reservation in their systems and the front desk clerks urged us to make another one at their counter. We were assured that we would not be double-charged if the original reservation were to surface. Several hours later in the room, the front desk clerk called, informing us that the original reservation popped up and that we were indeed being charged for two rooms. I reminded her that we were told this wouldn't happen; also, as it was early in the day, they could still book the other room for someone else anyway. I was told since the reservation was made through a partner website of theirs (alien to us, as the site we booked from, right in front of them at the counter, appeared as their official site), there was nothing they could do, etc. We had no intention of using a second room and spoke to each person up their ladder including the hotel manager, sending numerous e-mails to solve the situation but to no avail. Though we were assured many times by each member of staff, nothing was done and in fact mysterious additional charges showed up on our account on top of the extra room from things we did not use or purchase. After the runaround for two weeks from the hotel, I notified my bank in detail of the problem. The bank reversed all charges from my card, having investigated the claim and determining fraud on the part of the hotel. It's unfortunate that though the hotel itself is a pleasant place to stay, the incompetent (and possibly criminal) staff ruined it for us. We will not come back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank Opus73
Emporio_Mexico_Hotel, Owner at Emporio Reforma, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
“Dear Guest,

We are taking immediate action in order to prevent this from happening again

As general Manager, I can assure you our error was not committed in bad faith. When you first arrived with us, we could not find your reservation at the check in (which is very rare in this hotel), we looked for it in our system and couldn´t' find it. Because of that, you made a second reservation at the web site, using a different name and credit card. Later that day both reservations showed and the charges were made to both reservations by mistake.

We assure you this kind of error is very rare in our hotel and our company, and we will do everything we can to earn the opportunity to serve you again.”
Chicago
Reviewed 11 April 2010

This is a small little hotel located right at the intersection of Avenida Reforma and Avenida Insurgentes, two of the most important arteries in Mexico City. I would say it is equidistant from the Zocalo area (Palacio Nacional, Catedral Metropoliana, Bellas Artes) and Chapultepec Park (Anthropology Museum, Art museums, theme park). We walked back from the Zocalo to the Emporio and it took about 20 minutes. Other than a great location, the staff was helpful and friendly, even gave us a late check out with no problems. The restaurant was really good and economical and had a pretty solid buffet. There are 2 computers in good condition in the Business Center with fast internet. Our room was pretty small but was very clean and had a flat screen TV with a DVD player. The bathroom came with a tub with jacuzzi jets and all the bathroom amenities you could need. Everything was clean, modern, and the hotel was very quiet, as it is mostly business travelers. We paid +/- $230.00 USD for 3 nights, which I found surprisingly cheap considering how nice the hotel is and how strategic it is located. Every cab driver we had knew exactly where it was, which minimized confusion. The only negative I would say is the hotels taxi service. It an unmarked car with a driver employed by the hotel which the door man arranged for us. It is expensive and unnecessary, as he charged us 100 pesos from the hotel to the Zocalo, which a city cab would have charged about 30 pesos. So, the only thing I would say is beware of paying too much for a ride and use city taxis if you are on a budget (they are ridiculously easy to hail in front of the hotel). After our late check out, a ride to the airport in the hotel taxi (in a very nice unmarked sedan) was 190 pesos. I will no doubt stay here again if I am ever in Mexico City.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple