“Good location & full of character”

Hotel Imperial Reforma
Ranked #201 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We selected this hotel as we desired something central to Reforma with some distinct character, and not just a 'box standard' hotel. It certainly is a good location for exploring downtown, the historic district and Condessa. The hotel is an unusual wedge shape on a roundabout and looks quite austere from outside and the entrance area, lobby and Goudi restaurant are all also quite grand. However, we did find the rooms to be a tad on the dated side. We had booked a room with a kingsize bed on Expedia but when we checked in they did not have a king available, so after being shown a twin room, we elected to take a double room and were then moved the following day into a room with a kingsize bed.

The rooms were clean and adequate, although could have benefitted from some refurbing. The bathrooms were quite small with tiny bathtubs.

We enjoyed drinks in the bar area and were brought out little nibbles which we really appreciated. We did not dine in the hotel as we choose to enjoy sampling some of the restaurants around the city. There are plenty of Starbucks around the hotel, so we usually took a short walk in the morning and took in the flavour of the city vibe and a cappuccino.

We did the open-top tour bus rides to see the city, although you could walk along Reforma to the a number of the historical monuments. We also walked to Condessa one day, and took the tour bus to the Pyramids from right outside the hotel.

We found all the staff at the hotel to be pleasant and friendly, and although it was a pleasure to be in a part of Mexico where you do not constantly hear English, the staff had a good understanding of English (which helped us!)

Our cab from the airport cost $194 pesos (a bargain we thought), and although at first wary of taking cabs we took one back from Coyocan one afternoon during rush-hour, which cost $70 on the meter, so we realized that cab fares were quite reasonable. After this we decided to try taking a cab again, but this time the driver took us a long-way round for a 5 min ride and then tried to charge us $100. This happened a second time, where we asked the driver to switch his meter on and halfway back he claimed it had stopped working (more likely switched it off), as it was reading $24 and then he tried to charge us $100. So be wary of these banditos! We took the hotel taxi back to the airport for $150.

Room Tip: If possible get a room further back in the hotel. Rooms right on Reforma can be very noisy. We wer...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank saramarsdenille

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Clean, gracious and efficient. A quick walk to the historic center (but no really convenient Metro station at hand, as there is no line that follows Paseo de la Reforma).
Before accepting room: verify that strongbox (no charge) is operational and, if you care, verify that refrigerator is operational, too. Good hot water (shower and tub) and excellent beds.
You will not be able to get a radio-taxi from here, unless you call it yourself. There are a few English- and Japanese-speaking drivers attached to the hotel, so-called "taxi turistica." These are pleasant and friendly but don't offer best rates unless you insist beforehand.
NB, in Mexico City it is NOT advisable to hail taxis on the street.
The buffet breakfast is ample but for much less you can order coffee, coffee with milk, or tea
and delicious sweet rolls, if that is all you require.
There is a Sanborns mini-department store across Reforma and several adjacent convenience stores for beer, snacks, and other needs.
Don't forget to have your shoes shined on the street for a dollar. Be generous and pay with a 20-peso note. You could never achieve this brilliant shine yourself. Don't try it at home.
The Hotel Emporio down the street is also a good bet, with a jacuzzi in each room.
Except for traffic noise, both these hotels are respectable, quiet, and helpful.
The State-run arts and crafts shop with fixed prices, FonArt is just down the street same side.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better, both sides are very bush avenues with morning traffic. Again, verify key st...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Though the self-bestowed 5 stars are a little on the generous side, nevertheless the Hotel Imperial is a great place to stay. The lobby, upstairs restaurant and friendly and accommodating staff rate full marks. The bedrooms have been modified from their original colonial decor and are a bit of a mixed bag. The first time we stayed, the coat rack bar and hangers were missing as were the little luxuries (such as Kleenex tissues). The second time, everything was in order. Noise from the street (if you want to have the window open) is fairly intrusive as is to be expected from the location in the heart of the commercial district.

Museums, the cathedral, the 'zocalo' are all a short distance away and the rates on both of our previous visits (booked in advance over the internet) were at least half of the rack rate. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tacklow
Reviewed 29 November 2011

A friend and I stayed at this lovely historic hotel in September 2011. It was walking distance to the MONUMENTO A LA REVOLUCIÓN and Mercado Artesanal de la Ciudadela. There's a Sanborn's across the street and a few good restaurants (including the hotel restaurant) in the vicinity. What struck us was how helpful the staff were. I left my cell phone in a cab on the way to the airport. The phone was returned to the hotel and then they held on to it until I could send for it once I arrived home. Room service is prompt and courteous as was bell staff. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. I highly recommend a stay here while you explore this gorgeous city.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room that does not face Paseo de la Reforma to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2011

the 1st room was small - the AC the refrigerator a couple lamps did not function.
i arrived t 2 AM and the ride up the elevator was nice - on the floor is no light? at night.
so finding the room is tough. there are lights, but they turn them off early.
in the day the sky light is great, but at night the only light is reflected up from the lobby -
four floors below - so it is very dark upstairs.
I told the desk about the broken items, but two days later - nothing was repaired?
i fixed the lamp and opened the windows for air, but the shower too had problems.
at 6AM the road noise starts - the third floor was being renovated - and the hammering started Early!
and went all day long - no rest for the weary. lol

they did move me to another room the third day. only 1 lamp did not work. the shower had problems. not clean and the sliding door did not glide. you lifted and drug it as many had done in the past. you could see the damages from previous guests dragging the door.
the AC worked. the window was higher so the road noise was suppressed. the room service was good, but room cleaning was sporadic and done by request - multiple requests and most days the beds were not done until after 3 PM - one night they did not come until after 6 PM - So i told them
not tonight. But Please clean the room in the morning. Please.
about 1PM the room was done the next day -

the restaurants are very nice, the food was ok.
the lobby was very nice and a classic eye pleasing place to stay.
the Land mark style of the hotel Imperial was easy to find. so i did not get lost - all the taxi knew how to find the place. :D
the staff at the desk were very very helpful. it is an impressive building and i would stay there again.
as i like the location and the classic look - my girlfriend will not stay there - she say "yuck"
my sisters would not stay there either - but i liked the old style and a few roaches dont bother me.
but the price was too high for a roach hotel - - - - -

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I returned to Mexico City - and I returned to the Imperial. The four years gone by were kind to the hotel. Not much has changed - either way:

The Hotel Imperial is a beautiful hotel, that still has kept its charm from the turn of the century - the 19th that is. The luxury has somewhat faded from the days it housed presidents and diplomats. The hotel's location on Reforma boulevard at the Cristobal Colon traffic circle puts it in the middle between the historic district/Alameda and Zona Rosa/Chapultepec Park. Metro stations for line 1 and 2 and 3 are within 10 minutes walking distance.

I made the walk fromn the hotel all the way to the Zocalo via Bellas Artes and to Chapultepec Park along the monuments, statues, and various art pieces to be done in 30 minutes each -or less, and quite pleasant.

A friendly staff is helpful and most speak English. The lobby, bar, restaurant and cafe areas are pleasant and appointed with taste. You have entered a 3 to 4 star hotel (on a 1-5 scale). I had booked a king room (for one person). I had requested a room on an upper floor to escape traffic noise (especially on the Morelos Blvd side), which was obliged. To receive a functioning A/C and refrigerator presented a challenge and 1.5 hour waiting.

The room's furniture resembled more 2 star accommodations. The room was clean, the furniture functional. A hard mattress (the aztecs didn't sleep on anything softer either!), dresser, desk, round table, a couple of chairs and a few pictures. Ample closet space with a built-in safe (get lock from receptionist). You will find hotel branded accoutrements everywhere. The stationary, toiletries - all had the Imperial Hotel's logo. The A/C produced about 65-70 degrees on high fan speed. It was October and 75-80 degrees outside - so I am not complaining about lack of A/C. I just don't know if it would work when it's hotter. The bathroom: stone counter and tiles everywhere, plenty of towels, 2 bottles of water every day, plenty of toiletries, a shower enclosure over the tub. Though shall not walk on that carpet with light colored socks - enough said!

I go to Mexico City to enjoy art, history and cutlure, not to spend too much time in my hotel room. But - it would have been nice to have more than one or two English speaking channels on the TV (get remote control from receptionist), but then - you have not lived until you watched the Simpson in Mexish. A reliable wake up call got me going at 4:00 am to catch the return flight and the bell man had a taxi cab waiting for the airport ride (180 pesos = $15).

Numerous restaurants and shops are in the immediate vicinity. Sanborn's accross the street is a small department store with a "quite ok" restaurant - open until 1 am. A convenience store is next door to the hotel, (they have your cold beer, cappucino, snacks), bakeries, cantinas, more restaurants, Banks/ATMs, etc are very close. I did eat once in the hotel's Cafe (afternoon buffet, 165 pesos) the food was "pretty good" - but repeated itself day after day as I observed. Waiters were somewhat inattentive. The lobby/restaurant bar seems stocked well - and has the best ice cubes I ever had. Check it out and you will see what I mean.

In summary: I paid $50 per night (incl. tax and fees, through a lonely travel website), and I had safe and satisfactory accommodations in an excellent location. I had done extensive research on this and many other hotel websites and could not find a better value in the center of Mexico City. Should I return with my spouse/fiancee/secretary and want to "impress", I would go to the next level and select the Camino Real at Chapultepec Park for twice the money. But I am glad that I did not pick the lower priced options off Reforma, in Zona Rosa or in the historic districts. I walked by some of those and I was glad that I did not save the $10 or $20. The Imperial surprises nicely in some areas, disappoints in others.

The Hotel Imperial was a satisfactory choice that gave me my monies worth and then some. With a little investment and consistency by hotel management, this could be a prime selection for the financially conscious, yet amenity oriented traveller.

Room Tip: high floor and removed from the intersection Reforma/Morelos
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank HermanTheGerman-inTX
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Decent location, though busy and quite noisy. Standard room was a generous size, but the air conditioning didn't work and neither did half the lamps. Used both the restaurant (Gaudi) and Room Service, with very satisfactory food quality and service. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Booked the room one day in advance and benefitted from a low low rate on hotels.com. For the price, it was OK.
September, 2011

Room Tip: Ask NOT to be on the Paseo de la Reforma side.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo