“Great, gay location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
New York City
“Great, gay location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pros? It's right in the heart of Mexico City's gay neighborhood (La Zona Rosa). It's a nicely designed, modern hotel. Our room was comfortable, and had a big seating area. The bathroom was spacious and the shower was nice and strong. The staff is extremely friendly, especially Victor, who always greeted us with a smile and helped us make reservations. (Valentino, the young son of other staff members, was delightful.) The breakfast, included with the cost of the room, was a tasty mix of cereal, fruit and pastries, and included a daily hot special. The price was surprisingly reasonable, as was much of Mexico City.

The cons? The walls are extremely thin. We heard almost everything that went on in the room next to ours: talking, water running, the hair dryer, sex. (Granted the guys in the room got back late and stayed up late.) The noise woke me up several times; luckily I get back to sleep pretty easily. This could be a deal breaker for some people.

Also, the hotel is starting to show some wear and tear here and there, including frayed towels, matted carpet and chipped furniture.

Room Tip: The walls are shockingly thin. Corner rooms might be less noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NYCleveland
valentina_direccion, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Valentina, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear NYCleveland!!!!!

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your thoughts of your stay at Room Mate Valentina.

We are so happy to know you really enjoyed the room.

I will transmit to all staff your kind words especially to Victor who will surely look forward to hearing from you.

Receive feedback like yours makes the work to become a pleasure.

I surprised when you say you could not sleep.
All the hotel provides soundproof windows to ensure that our guests can have a pleasant dream.
We will consider the rest of your comments as they are the best way to live up to your expectations.

When I read your comment regarding Valentino put a smile on our face, sadly not a child of any of us, is the son of one of our guests, the child was with us about 40 days and became part of our team.

Hopefully we will see you soon again, feel free to contact us for any additional needs in the future.

Regards,

Laura Cabral
Front desk manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Today. I am back in Canada from Mexico. A friend recommended this hotel under its previous name (Marco Polo) because of location within walking distance of almost everything I wanted to see. When I (a single 65 + woman) arrived and saw all the sex shops on Amberes, I thought I had made a terrible mistake. The new name, Room Mate Valentina, added to my unease. However, this was the perfect hotel for me. I loved the small scale, so unlike many of the surrounding hotels. The rooms are very clean and mostly well designed (I would have appreciated a bedside clock and a bedside reading lamp.) The included breakfast offers a selection of options. The staff is friendly, very helpful, well informed and, mostly, comfortable in English. Also, I (as someone who was never out after midnight), felt completely comfortable in the neighbourhood. I would love to spend more time in Mexico City - especially if this is my hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank meherbert
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Great location, good breakfast, great location, super friendly staff, super helpful staff, big modern room. I was impressed. Next time I'm back in the city, I'll be staying there. You could walk almost every in the central city and I felt very safe the entire time. Easy access to good restaurants and great street food.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kg1701d
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

Second time in Valentina and I did not regret the decision, was even better, I stayed in a Atico suite and was just fantastic, incredible view, the bed was so confortable, every day the cleaning service was great, the man in charge of the room Fernando, so friendly and helpfull.
The rooms were very spacious, bright and had a very modern open design, also had a HUGE bathroom with enormous sheet towels!The breakfast and the wifi are a great addition free of charge.
At the desk every single time when I went for some help or info, the staff was so helpfull and nice, special thanks to Erika, Victor and the desk Manager Laura.
the Location is great right in middle of Zona Rosa a block from Reforma and Angel of Independencia, very close from Chapultepec and downtown. The area is nice to take a walk during the day or night.
The hotel has a staff car and driver who is equally helpful, knowledgeable and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: the higher the better view
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MiguelAngelUrda
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Great value for a big city hotel. Very modern design plus comfortable & clean.
I liked the location, just off the Reforma, 35min walk to Zocalo, but the city tour bus also stops just outside. On the other side is the park, Modern Art Museum and Museum of Anthropology etc. I like the location for evening, lots happening, many restaurants just outside plus not too far from the trendier Condessa with even a nicer range of eating establishments. Service was friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: This was a room that I actually enjoyed spending time in, not just a place to sleep and leave
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 13oyster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

Good hotel with low cost. Is not so close from good things to do in Mexico City, but if you are looking for good prices with good taxes, i really recomend this hotel....me and my wife liked a lot. You can find good restaurants near from the hotel. I Really recommend...

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Zona Rosa is a little far from the Zocalo in Mexico City. It's at least a 35 minute walk and even catching a taxi takes a long time (traffic on Reforma sucks). For the price, this is a great location. And walking around was always pleasant and we always felt safe. The rooms were very clean and the staff helpful. We had a little trouble communicating with the man on the front desk.. However, there are some other staff around that have truly great English skills (I don't know why they aren't on the desk!). We organised a tour to Teotihuacan with a driver/tour guide so that we could go early and beat the crowds. This was great!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends