“Great staff - great rooms - very clean and safe”

Room Mate Valentina
Ranked #44 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great staff - great rooms - very clean and safe”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This was my first hotel in Mexico DF. I really liked the location, close to subway and museums. Zona rosa is also the gay district so there is some party and noise around. So ask for a room in the upper floors, it will be better. But no big deal with the noise. Rooms are excellent, beds are great and bathrooms too. Breakfast is a good value, even if you find coffee and pancakes all around for much cheaper. Staff is really nice and helpful. I'll go back there if I can - and if I find good promo fares on Internet.

Room Tip: the higher the better.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
valentina_direccion, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Valentina, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear Guest!!!

First, we would like to thank you for take a piece of your value time to write you opinion.

We really hope you have enjoyed your travel and it is a pleasure to know that Valentina was for you the best hotel!

We really hope to see you soon!

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Hermosillo, Mexico
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I read the reviews after making the reservation and to be honest, I was a little bit scared, that feeling continued when we first arrived and the guy at the frontdesk couldn't find our reservation. This guy was not as friendly but not rude either which is fine by me but could be quite weird to some because one of Mexico City's great things is its friendly people. The bellboy "Paco" on the other hand was pretty smiley and friendly.

I had requested two beds and got a room with a queen bed, there was a woman at the frontdesk this time and was very willing to help us and accesible to make a change.
The room was nice and spacious, pretty much white all over it, I didn't think it was unclean, it was perfectly fine and being a hotwater lover myself didn't have trouble with that either.
While there was a lot of noise outside (it is in the middle of a lot of gay nightclubs) we couldn't hear the noise once in the room.

The hotel is well located, just a few blocks from the Metrobus and Metro, you really don't need to take a taxi, not even for the ride to the airport. We did use the taxi provided by the hotel and it wasn't expensive, just around $15 dlls to the airpot which I thought it was a pretty good deal since it is safe. You could also take the Metrobus and it's around $3dlls per person but you do need a little more time and directions.

Breakfast is a typical continental breakfast with coffee, tea, some "pan dulce" a little bit of fruit and cereal plus a daily dish such as scrambled eggs, oats or some simple mexican dish.

There are a little details they could work on to make the stay better, like bigger trashcans and additional wall sockets close to the bed.

Overall it was a good experience and I'd consider stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanniePop
valentina_direccion, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Valentina, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear DanniePop!!!!

I really appreciate your kindly words
Thank you for the opportunity to visit us.

I hope you come back many time after, to Valentina and all the staff going to be very pleasant to see you again.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 April 2013

First off, the staff here were amazing. They were kind, friendly, and very helpful. Everyone spoke English and were able to accomodate our busy and hectic schedules. Whenever we needed directions, they were more than willing to help! The breakfast was great too; there was toast, fruit, pastries, specials of the day, juices, and more. Plus, the chef was so sweet too! The rooms were really cool and designed well. Only thing is that the basin for the sink was designed oddly, toilet was weak, and the glass for the shower was very revealing. Plus, there was no door to the bathroom and the towels were very frayed! But besides that, the hotel is great and we barely had to wait for the elevator. Yes, it is located in the gay district, so there are a lot of sex shops and bars around galore. But the area is VERY safe with police literally on every block. Plus, the metro is only three blocks away, making transportation very simple and easy. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Choose rooms on higher floors and ask for a view if possible
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Musicloverr29 !!!!!!
Thank you so much for your kind words!

It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your stay in Mexico City and you feel special in our hotel.
That is exactly our purpose!

We appreciate the comments made ​​in reference to your room to take them into account to improve

Hopefully we will see you soon!

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on Easter weekend. It was a perfectly decent stay and we had no regrets choosing this hotel. We had read the reviews ahead of time and so were not surprised to see the wear and tear of a not-so-new hotel. But the rooms were clean and comfortable and were adequate for our purposes. In the end, the stay was not particularly special, but for the price we felt it was of decent value.

We ended up upgrading to a "deluxe" from the most basic "executive" for an extra $5/night as they no longer had any rooms available with a queen bed. It was a much bigger room, and we were happy we upgraded although the "executive" seemed fine enough. The room was clean, but nothing to write home about - mostly bare white walls with the occasional artsy graphic. We overlooked the street and was pleasantly surprised that we couldn't hear the street noise (on the 6th floor). There was a comfortable seating area and fridge.

Bathroom was fine, although we did have one evening where there was very minimal hot water. We didn't bother getting management though as it seemed it was likely just a high volume time of day. Towels were thin and just further emphasized that this wasn't really a "boutique" hotel from our perspective.

Breakfast was fine - toast, cereals, fresh fruit and one hot entree - one day an amazing Mexican specialty, the next day, boring scrambled eggs.

In the end, the best thing about the hotel was its location. We loved being in the heart of things in Zona Rosa with all the restaurants and bars. We understood how some people might be turned off by the more adult-nature (with the various sex shops) and at times more party atmosphere of the neighbourhood (lots of bars in the area), but we personally never found it threatening or sketchy. It was only a 5 minute walk to the metro which was great for exploring the city. We never took any taxis to or from the hotel so couldn't comment on the ease or expense of such a service.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Room Mate. It wasn't the best hotel, but it wasn't bad by any stretch and we were happy enough with our choice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
valentina_direccion, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Valentina, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Cemmm!

On behalf of the entire team we thank Valentina share your experience through TripAdvisor.

That is gratifying to know that enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you consider us for future visits to the largest city in the world, the rest of the Room Mate hotels are at your fingertips in cities like New York, Miami, Florence, Spain, Argentina, and soon Amsterdam.

Best Regards,

California
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I stayed here twice on a recent Mexico Trip. I have to say I enjoyed it much more than the Hyatt Regency in Polanco and the other hotels I stayed at. The neighborhood directly outside the hotel is a vibrant gay community, with establishments to suit all tastes within walking distance. Insurgentes Metro station is a very short walk away. The neighborhood is safe and comfortable at all hours of the day and night.

The staff was very helpful and all spoke English and Spanish, which was good for me. They gave excellent food recommendations and advice for touring the city. I ran into the same issue that D4Dave did with an overpriced town car ($220 pesos for about a 1.5 mile trip to Polanco). A metered fare would have easily been under $100 pesos. For future trips I specifically mentioned that I wanted a taxi and the price range I expected. Be sure you know the price of the trip and agree with it before getting in the car. If you are afraid of the Metro, don't be, you will save a ton of money ($3 pesos per trip).

My room was HUGE and a great value at about $80USD per night after taxes. No hidden charges. Breakfast was complete and available till noon. Room has a built in sound system but you need to have a cable to use...didn't seem to support bluetooth or its own ability to produce music. There was always at least one channel on the television with English programming on, at some points 2 - 4. The bed was comfortable. Daily housekeeping was appreciated. Urinal in bathroom was kind of cool and saved water.

Read about noise issues, and I have to disagree with most. I stayed on floors 3 and 7, and in both rooms, as long as you shut the windows it was very quiet. You can occasionally hear the pulse of one of the bars across the street or somebody yelling but it would be unrealistic to think you could get rid of that...either way it was not an issue and should not be a factor in booking here. As a matter of fact, my room on the 25th floor of the Hyatt was noisier. Never heard noise from neighboring rooms, which were occupied.

Dislikes? Not really any...I wish you could have less lights on in the room at one time, like, just the green octagons lit up and nothing else, I guess that would have been cool. Thinking...thinking...yeah that's the only complaint!

Bathroom was large and had different sections for the sink, toilet(s), and shower. Water pressure on the shower was very good, sink not so much but isn't really necessary there. Windows next to mirrors looking out to the room were fun and different.

So yeah, functional, hip, and VERY convenient hotel. I will definitely stay here during my next visit to the DF, which I hope is very soon! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $10 on the Deluxe Room. It's worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ILikeHiking
valentina_direccion, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Valentina, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Customer, Thank you for your excellent review of your stay with us.
It is a great satisfaction to know that we could convey the experience room mate and we did feel like home.

As you mentioned, to tour the city many times should take the subway, but when necessary to take a taxi, at the hotel we have a taxi service that handle a fixed rate and to provide security.

We would love to greet you again sometime.

Reception Manager
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Don't let them call you a taxi tho, they called us one so we could go in to the city, we got a taxi from the centre city the day before it cost us 35 pesos on th meter with traffic, Room mate called us one to do the exact same trip, but a private taxi no meter no radio showed up took us to the exact same place and wanted to charge us 130 pesos for the trip when I said no he through a tantrum.

So other then that rooms are awesome look cool hotels nice and clean an the breakfast is great, hotel staff are friendly as and always wanting to help. Highly recommend this hotel but not there taxis

Only other kinda annoying thing is no backboards on the beds so you pillow sometimes gets swallowed down the hole

• Stayed March 2013
valentina_direccion, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Valentina, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear D4Dave!!!!!

We want to thanks you for your kind words.
We really hope you enjoyed your visit in mexico city.

About the taxi service, for us is very important your safety, for that reason sometimes we recommend the taxis are outside the hotel these are tourist taxis and flat rate.....so if we have the pleasure to see you soon, please do not forget to contact me directly is case you need more information about it.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Simply put, the Room Mate chain is trying to be a mid-priced option for a boutique hotel. Keep then in mind these two things (1) the boutique part means form over function, and (2) the mid-price means they can only be so cool. Your room thus looks like your 26-year old roommate went down to Ikea and spent money but not much primping the place. You either buy into it or you don't. The result is pretty good, but the photos would go on someone's blog, not in Architectural Digest. It's cool, but not way cool.

For practicalities, it works well. My room was much larger than I expected, with a huge bed, desk, couch, chair, and multiple compartments to the bathroom. Two people can share without being on top of each other. Still, the couch and desk were made for looks, not comfort. The bed was fine. The lobby is pretty much nothing; you won't hang out there. The room has everything you need--glasses, toiletries, a safe, and so on--but comparing this place to something like a Marriott simply isn't fair.

The location is in the Zona Rosa, not a real cool part of town anymore. It would work better in Condessa. The street it's on is bam!smack in the middle of the gay party distinct. Not just the gay district, the gay party district. The throbbing members of those nightclubs are just outside. You need to be okay with this. I was there on a Saturday eve and the room noise was negligible. Those windows are sealed tight.

The price is a tad higher than it should be, but not irritatingly so. The taxi they hailed me for the airport charged me just under what a street taxi would charge. The hotel staff was very pleasant. Next time, I might look around to find something a bit cheaper, but I wouldn't be unhappy staying here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Get away from street level.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tomaj
Dear Tomaj!!

Thank you very much for your time to write your experience at Room Mate Valentina. We really aprecciate your words about your stay here.

I hope see you soon again.

Regards,