“Magnifico.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #83 of 304 Hotels in Mexico City
Miami, Florida
“Magnifico.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

From Jan,9 to Jan.12 I was a guest at the Metropol.I can say that this hotel is very good for the price,Room and bathroon were nice and very clean with plenty of towels and articles of toiletry,The room was big but I hated the color of one wall PectoBismol pink...The location is excellent only a block and a half from the Alameda park and Bellas Artes and close to Chinatown whith abundance of restaurants,I found the front desk personnel a bit cold but that is OK with me.Going to Mexico almost every year for the last 20 years and the first time at this hotel.I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bitalala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Prague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I went to the Mexico City with my boyfriend for the New Year's Eve (which was btw. a lot of fun) and booked this hotel. I was very satisfied with the location and maintanance of the hotel. The room was spacious and clean, the bed very comfortable. Close to everything that we wanted to visit in the Mexico City.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Merida, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

We recently stayed there with a group pf 14 people for a week. Actually we had four days there and then went to Patzcuaro for Day of the Dead, returning for three more nights before leaving. The rooms were spacious. It was very well maintained. ALL of the staff were friendly and courteous. Saludos to Armando at the reception desk for being very attentive to any and all requests. Also to the manager of the bar who always remembered our drinks! Breakfast buffet each morning was great and besides they would do eggs and toast to order! Very accommodating. They even stored our extra luggage while we left for the 3 days without charge. We are taking another group of 14 people back in March 2013 and have already booked the hotel. Several great restaurants within walking distance...18 Portales, Romero's and Italianni's to name three. Several great coffee shops nearby as well. Yes, the Internet was iffy at first but we learned to use it in our rooms to get the best reception in the hotel! No problems.

Room Tip: Choose rooms along the back as the front is right on the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I normally don't write reviews, but seemed it's necessary to share this info with travelers.
I read the reviews below and decided to give it a shot as I've been trying out different hotels in the area. And it was a total failure.
First, there was a blackout in the area and I had no electricity, no internet, whatsoever.
But, this isn't necessarily their fault. Ok.
The way they managed the situation, however, is horrible. It shows their service level. Or non-existing service.
Way before there even was a blackout, or before I realized it, when I tried to check-in, they said they cannot find my reservation. They said they will only be able to check it the next day and I will need to make a $45US deposit until they confirm. Ok. I was trying to be nice and gave them the money. And then as soon as I got up to my room, the whole blackout started....
In the morning, after waiting forever for the light to come back on, I went down to check out. No, they still don't know who to check with to confirm my reservation with Hotels.com. After waiting 30 mins, strongly asked for my money, and got it back.
And don't even think about getting any compensation for the whole night of blackout. Zero. Not even a restaurant coupon or anything.
And what's even worse? This tourist who also came down for another complaint told me that him and his wife got bug bites all over their body. Some kind of bed bug or something. He showed me one bite, and it was gross. and they got no compensation for it either. No hospital fee. No nothing. Just couple hours for the late check out. I don't think I would even want to stay there for even a minute more.
Hope this helps you make better decision.
(Just in case you are wondering then where did I move to, I went back to Hotel Marlowe I stayed couple days earlier. It's not amazing as a hotel itself, but compared to Metropol, heaven. Still very convenient location, and the rooms are clean. Quite small, but clean. Great value for money.)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank June L

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Table View, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I found the location to be very good, just 3 blocks from Juarez metro and less than a 10 minute walk from the zocalo. Taxi were abundant and the traffic noise was only a factor for 1 row of rooms. The hotel itself was very clean and the room bigger than I expected. The bed were also very comfortable and the bathroom was big enough with a big shower. I did not use the restaurant so cannot comment on the food it serves. The one drawback was that the Internet desktops they have is not free to use but they do provide free internet.

There are a few restaurants around the corner but the best one was the Argentinian one (forgot the name) one corner opposite the 7-11.

All in all I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The single rooms facing Luis Moya have traffic noise while the rest of the rooms were quite.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We had been traveling all over sothern Mexico. Our last two nights were in Mexico City at the Hotel Metropol. As we walked into the lobby with a shinny marble floor it was evident that this was a nice place. The desk was helpful and friendly, the lobby was impressive and the room was great. The room was large, clean and decorated well. The bathroom was large, clean and even had a tap with drinking water. It was quiet and nice. There is not air conditioning but Mexico city has warm dry days and cool dry nights so we didn't need air.

The hotel is located in the Central part of the city close to shopping and lots of things to see and do. It is also only a couple of blocks from the Metro. The metro is inexpensive and easy to use so the whole city was easily within reach.

When we return to Mexico City, we will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Father0f6
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I recently stayed in Hotel Metropol with a couple of friends. We loved the location close to the zocalo, fine arts museum, etc. We were interested in going to Lagunilla open air antique market, so that was a fair walk, but otherwise it was centrally located to most of the places we wanted to see on our short visit. The staff was friendly and helpful, so that made it easier for us to get wherever we wanted to go. The value was there, and there were no untoward surprises. Highly recommended! No complaints at all.

Room Tip: There's going to be a bit of noise, and I don't know how to avoid it given the central locat...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends