“Awful experience!”

Hotel Del Angel
Ranked #257 of 309 Hotels in Mexico City
“Awful experience!”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I arrived just overnight to catch a flight early in the morning. I had a paid night with expedia. I sent the reservation to the front desk, gave a printed copy, and they did no honored my reservation. The clerk of the front desk asked me to gave an open voucher for amennieties, which is a normal, BUT when i checked out on oct 31 st 2011. Efrain palmeros retained my original voucher and refused to give it me back, his argument was that maybe i could had cancelled my expedia reservation and they wouldn ' t be able to charge me if i had done such a bad thing. The staff doesn't speak englisg ( nor spanish, i am mexican) i talked with adriana ulibarri the general manager and she said that was te regular process for internet reservations. So, i hope the dont charge my crdit card and get my vouchers back. Is worth to pay a little more for a chain hotel there are some cheaps ones as well.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Rudolph2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 19 October 2011

My 2 friends and I stayed here from 10/13-10/17. We arrived at the hotel at 5:30am and were given a room immediately even though check-in wasn't until 3pm. A 3rd friend met us there as we checked In and the hotel didn't charge us for the extra person even though we only paid for 3 people. The location was good about a 2 blocks from the U.S. embassy and a block from the Angel de Oro. There are some restaurants/bars on the same street as well as a Hooters. The hotel isn't the Ritz but the room was clean and had enough space for 4. Stayed In #801. ask for David the taxi guy to show you around.

• Stayed October 2011
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Me and my girlfriend were on a ten day trip to three places of Mexico including a two-night stay at the Hotel del Angel in Mexico City. After the first night we headed out on day just going to do tourist related stuff. But before we left, we managed to set the do not disturb sign which was provided by the hotel on the outside door handle. I managed to forget my cell phone behind because of all the other stuff we wanted to carry (water, camera, money etc.). So as we came back to the room, we notice our only room key was for some reason deactivated. Once we got it reactivated and eventually went into the room, we noticed the bed was done and the bathroom was restocked. Not only that, my cell phone went missing. We reported it to the front desk and they put very little effort on resolving the issue. The weird thing is, we spoke directly to the female housekeeper that cleaned our room the following day and she said that the manager had told her to clean our room even though she was quite aware that the do not disturb sign was clearly posted in front of the room. It was absolutely hard to even get a hold of the manager and had no sympathy for our lost when we did speak with him. May I also mention that another guest just a couple of doors down over heard our conversation with the housekeeper and spoke with us moments after about getting something stolen from her room. She said that she had 200 pesos taken from her room.

If you really wanted to take the risk on staying at this hotel room because of its affordability, make good use of the safe. But to be honest, a cheap hotel room does not outweigh the cost of losing something personal and having your privacy invaded.

If you were my friend I would say to look for another place. Its not worth the stress. Its better to have a peace of mind when enjoying such an amazing city.

Plus another thing, we did not have running hot water on our second day there till later in the evening. There only solution front desk suggested was to let the water run, which did not do a thing.

They also need to repair the cracked tub and sink in the room where we stayed in.

These people are shady.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 November 2010

After the first time I stayed in this hotel, I knew this will be my favorite in Mexico city. I stay here everytime I go there. It is just one block from the "Angel de la Independencia", the Zona Rosa where the best restaurants are. The service at the hotel is excellent, very clean and big rooms. The prize is SO affordable and everytime I go there, I get free nights, or discounts at their restaurant or upgrades to the suites. This is a small chain of hotels that definitely cares about the customer service.
At the corner, there is an OXXO, 1 block from a "farmacia", in the same block there are like 5 nice restaurants, 1 block from Sanborns, so you have almost everything you need for a pleasure or business trip.
Try it, you won't regret.

PD: The only week point is that there is no fitness room.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Edrd
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The front desk staff was VERY helpful and most knew fluent english. We got a tour guide and a car for a day- it was GREAT! The door opened the wrong way in the bathroom, so it was awkward to move around in. The shower had very poor water pressure. Pillows were quite firm...we were given a different room for our 2nd nite, and that too had poor water pressure. Apparently they don't use face cloths in Mexico...just bath and hand towels. Not to USA standards, but for $70 a nite it was OK.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank mailboxlady
Guanajuato
Reviewed 19 January 2010

The location is great and the service was not bad. The problem with this hotel is cleanliness. The bed was dirty, bathroom, hair everywhere, so disgusting.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 23 December 2009

I was more than a little worried after reading reviews, but this hotel was highly recommended to me for it's price and location, and it did not disappoint! Everyone at the front desk spoke english and the room was clean and neat, if not a little out-dated (the hotel was in the process of renovating the lower floors, including new furniture and hardwood floors). We did encounter a few problems; the sliding glass shower door was off its track and the chain to flush the toilet in the reserve tank had come off, but I fixed both in no time without the notifying management. Our only other complaint about the room was the lack of an alarm clock, but the wake-up calls were reliable.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was perfect four our needs; offering 4 dishes (scrambled eggs, chilequiles, refried beans and a rotating potato dish) along with assorted rolls and pastries, cereal, milk, juice and coffee. The location seemed very safe and we walked around at night without a problem. Lots of restaurants and nightlife in the immediate area and the more busy Zona Rosa just a 5 minute walk away.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a great centrally located place to stay to experience Mexico City. If you want to hole-up in your hotel, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple