“Excellent in every way”

Ranked #76 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Maryland
“Excellent in every way”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I stayed here while attending a business conference and was impressed by everything. Excellent (and fully biliingual) staff, clean, elegant - absolutely no complaints. Had breakfast twice at La Huerta and enjoyed it fully both times. If I'm back in Mexico City, I won't even think twice - I'll be back here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dkckek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
France
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was happy to return to this hotel. Its striking architecture makes it a special place. Staff are courteous and smiling. Location is great, close to the park (where you find the few remaining oxygen atoms in MC) and the splendid museum. IT staff prompt to help for internet problems. Yes the corridors are long, lighting is bizarre in some rooms, showers may overflow, and it is not cheap, but still worth it, and the Blue Lagoon bar is a great place for relaxing.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Phileas_Fogg_61
Brasil
Reviewed 5 November 2012

It is a beautifu hotel, design by the great archicheture Legorreta. The hotel, the staff, restaurants options, location, decor, cleaness.... Everything was just great (just the wifi signal could work better, but still fine). Regarind the restaurants, I tried Maria Bonite...Sincerily, food was just OK...But I did loved ChinaGriil. La huerta cafe was also a good option for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AMLFP
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I have now stayed at this hotel three times. The first time I had a suite that seemed to be underground with no natural light and a dank smell. The second time, a great room - my room was on the pool side, spacious & had a balcony. The third time a small room looking out onto the wall of the disco. My iPhone disappeared from my room. Time to try another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Warwickite
Bath
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I have stayed in the Camino Real Polanco several times in the past, and returned this time after four years. It is still a great and iconic hotel. It is beautiful, our room was very nice and with a great view over the garden/pool area, the service was frienldy and efficient and the restaurants and bar continue to serve up fab food and drinks. The location is also great - I'll definitely be back. I have tried other hotels previously, in the Zona Rosa and Col Condesa (boutique hotel), but I think I'll just stick to the Cmaino Real in the future - it has never disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerFromBath
San Jose, CA, USA
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed at Camino Real Mexico City for 3 nights. Our impression at first was that the facility was huge. To get to our room, we had to twist and turn and walk some distance. Because we were busy for our three days activities outside the hotel, we didn't get to explore much inside the hotel. The room size was pretty good but the lighting was poor. There was two small bed lamps for reading at both ends of the two queen beds, so far apart that if you want to call housekeeping or room service at night, you couldn't see the telephone buttons or label because the lights were at the far end of each bed and the phone was in the middle. The brightest light in the room was inside the bathroom so to work the TSA lock of our luggage, we had to move the luggage in front of the bathroom. Service was not consistent either. One day we had three hand towels and then the next day we had only one. The red granite shower were design to be open access (i.e. no enclosed door). So water splashed all the way outside. The bathroom door turns inward to 90 degree slapping in front of the toilet. So you had to be careful not to bump your head against the door unless you closed the door. There were supposed to be some great restaurants at the hotel, like Morimoto. But it was closed on Sunday when we wanted to try. My husband tried the beefbar and he was very happy with the food there. We had dinner at Maria Bonita at a group function. The food was OK, nothing to praise about. We liked the La Huerta Café on Sunday. The breakfast spread was quite interesting, with Japanese, American and Mexico choices. No gluten free bread but could ask for corn tortilla. The complaint I had was this cafe charged a lot for a small bottle of water. Even though the hotel stated that their water had been purified, it had some weir taste to it. We bought big bottles of water at the smoke shop with the price that is less than the small bottle of water at the cafe.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1311. Not sure why, we kept hearing banging noise even at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank alang-alang
Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I spent seven nights in July at the hotel. I was ready for a change after having spend so much time at another hotel in the Zona Rosa. I remember this hotel from my childhood, 30 odd years ago, with its classic whirling pool upfront. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are smallish. I got stuck in a room which was across from one area where they host parties so it got loud sometime. (sorry forgot the room number). The rooms are colored lively. The pool is nice but small.

The hotel has many bars and top restaurants to choose from. I went to the Blue Bar Lounge which is very nice (Pierce Brosnan filmed a hollywood film here). China Grill is nice and they had a marvelous chili infused mango martini. Castilian Center left a lot to be desired.

Once issue, as many reviewers have pointed out, is that they charge for everything every chance they get. Its a big turn-off and really sours the relationship--even if its not my money since my company is paying for everything.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business