“Not so great.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Not so great.”
Reviewed 3 August 2010

First of all, I had really high expectations after reading so many wonderful things about this place online. However, I was disappointed. I ended up staying here last minute, and they were able to fit me in, which was nice. The room was VERY modest, no tv, no air conditioning (which is bad for the hot natured, like myself) and not very clean. My room was also very loud because it was near the street, so stay away from those. As for cleanliness, I watched the lady clean one day, after a customer checked out, (while in the common area). They do no mop, only empty the trash cans, change the sheets, and give new towels. She was in there for only 15 mins or so and later that day I saw a new person check in that very room that afternoon. GROSS!

As for the friendliness, the staff is not friendly at all. I never saw the owner. The staff made fun of my Spanish accent, which is rude, because I speak it well, just with a bit of an accent. No one was really helpful with directions and when I checked out, they were very rude about me having to call my credit card company, while they waited (they froze my card thinking it was stolen-being in another country. Which leads me to another tip- call your credit card company BEFORE you leave). I was unhappy with the service, overall.
The food is not very consistent. Sometimes my breakfast (and dinner) was not very good and other times it was fabulous.

Also, be warned the hotel is far from the metro, but in a nice business type of area. The price is right, but for the cleanliness and lack of customer service, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank travelhistgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This is a very cozy and friendly hotel/B&B in one of the prettiest and safest zones of Mexico city. It is a family run business and the owner family lives in one of the wings of this lovely building. There is a beautiful garden where you can relax. Rooms are simple but spotlessly clean and spatious and furnished with typical Mexican furniture. There is no AC but according to me you don't need that in Mexico City anyway. The staff are really friendly and although some of them don't speak English (learn Spanish you guys if you travel in a Spanish speaking country) they are always trying to please guests and helping to organize trips (to the pyramids of Teotihuacan or the basilica de Guadalupe for instance). It's a place that has soul and if you wanna experience an authentic piece of Mexican culture, this is the place to stay.
I have lived in the neighborhood for nearly 2 years and since I had a very tiny apartment, my guests have always stayed at the Casa Gonzalez. Everyone was always surprised by its charm, friendliness and great value for money.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank Suizita
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I took my parents to Mexico for the first time, and I don't think they could possibly have received a better first impression of the country and Mexico City than they did at Casa Gonzalez.
Each room is different, but each is beautiful. Our rooms were large, airy, and comfortable. Even in our basic room, we had ample room to set down luggage, relax in a chair (rather than lounging on the bed), and set out our toiletries on the shelf in the bathroom.

The service was great as well. Though not all of the staff speaks English, the owner, Jorge, speaks very well, and was therefore able to chat with my parents (who don't speak Spanish) at breakfast our first morning. He was also very helpful in recommending restaurants and points of interest when we had an evening free.

A continental breakfast of fruit, rolls with butter and jam, juice, and milk, coffee, or tea is included in the price of rooms, and that was more than enough for us. However, you can make it a full breakfast for 30 pesos more.

Casa Gonzalez is a great value because of its charming atmosphere and friendly staff. We absolutely lives the quaint bed and breakfast, and I would stay there again in an instant.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank ShiningHalo
New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I’m a little surprised to read any criticism at all on this site of this lovely, family-run bed and breakfast where I've stayed dozens of times over the years. Of course, if you are looking for a modern 5-star hotel, this is not your place. And please don’t expect everyone who works there to be a native speaker of English. Remember: You’re in Mexico. But if you're looking for a homey, friendly, and welcoming environment in a secure neighborhood and an ideal location to explore the city, with warm staff who go out of their way to make sure you feel at home, you will not be disappointed.

I always find myself smiling just from walking through the front door into the colorful hallway. The common areas -- outdoor patios and indoor sitting areas -- are very pleasant, tranquil, and well-maintained. The clean guest rooms (all with private bathrooms) vary in size, style, age, and price – from basic rooms with one individual bed and not much more to larger suites with multiple rooms that are ideal for families, or larger rooms with a queen or king size bed, flat-screen TV, and a desk or sofa (some with shared patios) -- and the staff is happy to show you your options and try to accommodate your preferences whenever possible. Homestyle breakfast on traditional china in the bright and airy dining room is a perfect way to start the day and meet other guests.

Something else to appreciate: Casa Gonzalez -- now three generations removed from the founders, but still in the same family -- does not try to make profits on incidental charges like so many hotels do: Bottled water costs the same or less than at the corner store and pitchers of filtered water are free; telephone calls from your room go through an internet service and the savings are passed on to the guest; laundry is charged at reasonable prices by weight and not by piece as at most hotels. And since recently, continental breakfast is now included in the room rate and a full (hot) breakfast costs 40 pesos more.

But in the end, for me, it's the authentic, personal, caring service from the whole staff that makes the difference. A recommendation of where to go and how to get there... an after hours sandwich.... a driver for the day... a doctor in an emergency... an early morning ironing of your wrinkled business suit... a bus ticket... a map... a desk for your room... luggage storage or assistance... dietary accommodation with food that’s not on the menu... a meeting room... photocopies... faxes... important phone messages relayed to your cell phone while you’re out... an item you accidentally left behind sent by overnight courier to your next destination – nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank PoblanoJ
Yukon
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We selected this B & B because of reviews in the Lonely Planet and on Trip Advisor. We found the place to be a bit of a disappointment. Our room was very, very small. I mean we did not have room to open our suitcase on the floor, only on the bed. The bed had a loose headboard which kept us awake. Also the mattress was quite hard. The contenential breakfast was blah, white bread & jam. I had to beg or steal for more coffee. Other than the owner the staff was not overly friendly. I would say that for the price there are quite a few places that offer more comfort at a better price in Mexico City. Also, we found the Zona Rosa to be well past its prime...its now a beit seedy & run down. I would definately recommend staying in the Colonial district instead.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I love this place. Just on the other side of the Reforma from the Zona Rosa, it's a quiet place that's just blocks away from nightlife. My wife had a short bout of fever, and they took great care of us... making some warm soup and bringing it up to our room. The daily breakfasts are fantastic.

Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leosf
Sechelt, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2010

On recommendations from a few friends who have stayed here in the past and prior reviews I booked a room at casa gonzalez. The complex is very nice for looks but the rooms are small and the beds are very hard and uncomfortable and if you don't speak spanish you will have a difficult time communicating with the staff. After leaving Casa Gonzalez I stayed a two different places for less money more charm and better service.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple