“I thought this hotel was excellent”
Review of Hotel Gillow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Gillow
Ranked #97 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Sydney, Australia
“I thought this hotel was excellent”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Hotel Gillow was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Mexico and stays in the hotel regularly. I was pleasantly surprised. The location is extremely convenient. This was my first visit to Mexico (I am Australian) and I was able to walk to all the attractions I wanted to see. Furthermore, the service was excellent. The room was comfortable and the price was modest. I will certainly recommend the hotel to my friends. I can also recommend the restaurant within the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank MrsPierno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I am recommending this hotel due to fantastic location, close to Zocalo and Alamenda Central, step out of the hotel and you ar ein teh middle of everything, great locaton if you are into walking, you can get far...Also, subways stops are near by. Rooms are spacious, matresses comfortabe, bathrooms the best, all redone in granite tiles...Ask for the higher floors...
However, great dissapointment in staff... It was last minute booking - I asked for the regular room for 2 people, was told that they don't have one available and they will give me jr. suite - for the price of regular room - nice I thought, they do not want it to sit empty.
So, the next day, a friend came to pick us up at 3 PM, no parking there, so we were waiting in front of the hotel - woman at the reception sow us walking out and told us that seh needs our room and that we had to move right there and then...All sweet talk, told us that the enxt day she will give us room with balcony on the top floor for the inconvenience.
And, yes, it was very inconveneint as our friend could not park, had to circle around, while we go pack our bags and move to other room.
Next day, we went to her asking for that promised room with balcony; she gave it to us and as we were walking to the room, bu chance, I initiated conversation about pricing and came to it that she wanted to charge us more for that room as well as the one we slep in the night before, since it had 2 beds! She did not bother telling us any of that, so i found it to be very sneeky and you could imagine us checking out at 4 AM when a night person would be there and being stuck with a bill much higher then expected and no one from management around to bring it up to.
And, I speak good Spanish, so it was not language barrier!
They say that they have free internet (person at the reception has to initiate connection), so first evening, it was free, second evening they told me I had to pay - I thought that receptionist did not know that I am staying at the hotel, so i told him, he said - no regardless. Manager happen to be there so, he let us have it for free!
I made a point of seing rooms at other hotels at similar price range, and there ar enot even close to this one, so I am reccomending this one for the location and quality of rooms for the price, but be sure of the cost of your room and keep in mind that room with 2 beds for 2 people costs more then room with 1 bed for 2 people and generally, be clear about anything with them, or you migth be un pleasanly surprised.
I did not find any hotel stuff to be freindly, no apologiez for inconveniance, un friendly waiter at hotel restaurant, same with bell personel.

Room Tip: Higher floor, ask to see few rooms, view of street
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lazarela
New York
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I was traveling with my wife and 15 month old son. We arrived very late due to a 4 hour delay in our flight and from reviews I had read before my trip was worried our room wouldnt be available. The front desk was friendly, quite understanding and our room was waiting for us - full disclosure we are both fluent spanish speakers and found it invaluable during this trip.
Our impression of the room was that it was nothing fancy but it was clean, had a flat screen TV (important for the child) with cable and ample closet and storage space. It was also cleaned throughly daily I witnessed our bathroom being completely scrubbed down twice and the sheets and towels were changed daily. We had a room with a balcony overlooking Isabela La Catholica street and it was quite noisy with the doors open but we didnt mind it and our son was able to sleep through it. As with past reviews I would request a quiet internal room if this is a concern.

The location was perfect, steps from the Zocalo, pedestrian only streets, good food, museums, a short walk from Plaza Garabaldi, and much more. The hotel referred us to one of their drivers named Miguel who we highly recommend. He was knowledgeable, friendly, trustworthy and even brought us to an amazing taquieria where there were no other travelers in sight (it turned out to be my favorite meal).

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel and was pleased to be able to run out for a late night taco, or coffee and sweets both are literally around the corner and popular with locals very late into the night. There was even a 24 hour 7/11 around the corner where we bought yogurt (for the baby) and water daily.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Boriken
Hudson, NY, USA
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stay was pleasant, except for noisy nights, until checkout. It took almost an hour to check out. The person at the desk tried to charge us much more than what had been confirmed to us months before via internet. We were never able to get the price that we had been promised but were able to get the price down somewhat.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jangrice
Lenox, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We had Booking confirmation 2 mths inadvance stating price in us$, Rates included Breakfast and were inclusive of Tax. Upon checking out, none of this was true. The price was an "estimation", and we were charged for breakfasts and taxes.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lenoxbabe
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Gillow and was perfectly satisfied. I was traveling alone and the room I was given on the 6th floor was perfect for me. Quiet, clean and comfortable. After a few false starts initially at assigning me room, it all worked out fine. It is a great location for seeing all the major sights in the historic central area. I felt very comfortable walking around the area. There are many good reasonably priced restaurants close by. Close to Zocalo area.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MaestroRon
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Dear readers and travelers,

I rarely write reviews for hotels that i stay at. However being a big fan of tripadvisor and the great comments and experiences it brings i thought i would add my comments to this particular hotel, especially having read the most recent review, which i thought was very harsh for such a great hotel as this. I suppose everyone has their own opinions.

I stayed in this hotel earlier this month, together with my finance. We wanted to get to know mexico city and chose this hotel for its location and the comments from previous guests. We didn't however realize what a wonderful place we were really going to, till we got there. The staff was unbelievably friendly and very helpful giving tips on places to see, how to get around and also visiting some nice local places, which were not too touristic.

Sure, the housekeepers didn't speak much english, if any at all, but they were very kind and very respectful towards us. We tried to communicate with them as much as we could with the spanish we still had left from school and body language. They made us feel very comfortable. The room is not the most modern, but has a very nice home-like feeling. Very clean and spacious.

Perhaps another thing that is worthwhile mentioning is that they have a great restaurant there, offering great quality food at a very reasonable price.

The main reason why we picked this hotel was for its location, and it is indeed the best location you can go for. You have a lot of places you can see in walking distances. Its just great!!!

I would definitely recommend anyone wanting to get to know the real mexico to stay at this hotel. They offer you everything you need, with a wonderful warm smile.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple