“Perfectly Met My Requirements”
Review of Hotel Gillow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Gillow
Ranked #98 of 309 Hotels in Mexico City
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Perfectly Met My Requirements”
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Gillow and was perfectly satisfied. I was traveling alone and the room I was given on the 6th floor was perfect for me. Quiet, clean and comfortable. After a few false starts initially at assigning me room, it all worked out fine. It is a great location for seeing all the major sights in the historic central area. I felt very comfortable walking around the area. There are many good reasonably priced restaurants close by. Close to Zocalo area.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MaestroRon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Dear readers and travelers,

I rarely write reviews for hotels that i stay at. However being a big fan of tripadvisor and the great comments and experiences it brings i thought i would add my comments to this particular hotel, especially having read the most recent review, which i thought was very harsh for such a great hotel as this. I suppose everyone has their own opinions.

I stayed in this hotel earlier this month, together with my finance. We wanted to get to know mexico city and chose this hotel for its location and the comments from previous guests. We didn't however realize what a wonderful place we were really going to, till we got there. The staff was unbelievably friendly and very helpful giving tips on places to see, how to get around and also visiting some nice local places, which were not too touristic.

Sure, the housekeepers didn't speak much english, if any at all, but they were very kind and very respectful towards us. We tried to communicate with them as much as we could with the spanish we still had left from school and body language. They made us feel very comfortable. The room is not the most modern, but has a very nice home-like feeling. Very clean and spacious.

Perhaps another thing that is worthwhile mentioning is that they have a great restaurant there, offering great quality food at a very reasonable price.

The main reason why we picked this hotel was for its location, and it is indeed the best location you can go for. You have a lot of places you can see in walking distances. Its just great!!!

I would definitely recommend anyone wanting to get to know the real mexico to stay at this hotel. They offer you everything you need, with a wonderful warm smile.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TVEHL
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2010

My girlfriend and I chose to stay in the Hotel Gillow mainly due to it's location, supposed value, and the good recommendations on the site. However, when we arrived in our room after check-in our impressions immediately changed from good to awful. We arrived late, so we wanted to get to sleep early to get an early start the next day. We got into bed and soon after felt as if there was something in the bed. Upon further investigation, we found there to be about 40 black pubic hairs, a large yellowish-opaque stain, and two 4 inch long brownish-red streaks on the sheets. Being exhausted, we figured, ok that's pretty unbelievably disgusting, but we'll deal with it in the morning and just get some clean sheets sent to the room.

After calling the housekeeper 3 times and still receiving no answer, we called the front desk - which by the way, pretty much hung up on us. Over 50 minutes later our sheets arrived, when my girl friend answered the door, they were basically thrown at her and before she had even said thank you, the man delivering them had turned his back on her and left. So there we were, left to make the bed in our supposedly cleaned room without any form of apology or acknowledgement of the problem. Furthermore, when we actually stripped the bed, we found old food wrappers and little mites - our ankles and shins were covered in bites the next morning.

Still, the frustration didn't end there. The room also only had one electrical outlet - we tried to rotate our two camera chargers on one outlet, and the shower went from lukewarm to scalding every time someone in the building flushed the toilet - yes we ended up clean, although at the cost of red burns on our backs.

After putting up with the dismal plumbing and an awful sleep, we made our way downstairs where, after a lot of debate, we finally thought we should just mention it to the manager - not to get a discount or a new room, but just out of consideration for future patrons.

She was awful. Firstly, while we tried to talk to her, she wasn't even looking at us, she was rumaging through the drawers of the desk. Secondly, it was only then she told us that the room actually cost more than we had originally booked as the rates had changed over night (which if we had not gone to the front desk would have no idea about). Thirdly, she didn't even seemed phased by the filthy bed - definitely no acknowledgement or apology there. And lastly, to top it all off, she asked us to switch to a smaller room as the one we were in was booked for the evening and we didn't want to pay the extra price which had never been advertised.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, we had also asked for a quiet room in our reso as recommended by other reviewers - they put us on the first floor on the street, and once we asked to be moved, kept us on the street but bumped us up to the fourth - literally no difference, and again no consideration for the guests requests, which, when they are being charged way more than they agreed to, seems pretty disrespectful.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank 604Xenophile
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Our stay at this hotel got off to a bad start when we arrived in Mexico City around 11pm and the hotel informed us they had given away our room because I had said we were arriving at 8pm. This information was false and I had the emails to back myself up that clearly stated I had told them our flight did not get in until 10pm and it was not likely we would make it to the hotel until at least 11pm. I had a reply saying that was fine and that my arrival time was noted as 11pm.
The manager was helpful and booked us another hotel, which was in a questionably area, but it was just for one night. I was disappointed the hotel offered no compensation for giving our rooms away, not even a discount voucher for the restaurant!!
Saturday night in Hotel Gillow amounted to NO sleep because we discovered there is a nightclub across the street which plays extremely loud music from 11pm until 5am, an okay option if you are into the party scene. But we had a tour booked the next day which was kind of ruined due to lack of sleep.
On the plus, the rooms are lovely and the hotel is central to the zocalo. We did find that because it was central, a lot of roads got blocked off and taxis and tour buses couldn't get to our hotel to drop off and pick up.
Overall Hotel Gillow left a bad impression on all 4 of us and we would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Ems_Hame
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2010

i have stayed here many times, the first time with my husband in 2005 and have been coming back ever since. Excellent location, great service, very clean. Very helpful and friendly staff at the front desk. Very good food in the restaurant. I would highly recommend the Gillow.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Brighton
Reviewed 10 June 2010

V good value. Old fashioned service, helpful staff. Centrally located. Better value than modern hotels nearby. Handy for Cafe El Popular, Zocalo etc.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2010

I would endorse all the great comments said by recent posters. We paid 790 pesos for a junior suite – good big room, jacuzzi, ice and water easily available. Within short walking distance of the Zocalo, Bellas Artes, Plaza Garibaldi, etc. We paid a further 89 pesos each for an OK breakfast but it’s probably better to take the opportunity of trying one of the numerous local eating places.
Really great value for a central, capital city hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple