Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
Book In Advance
US$75.00*
The Colors of Mexico Private Walking Tour: Zocalo, National Palace and Art
US$35.00*
Mexico City Half-Day Tour with Museum of Anthropology
US$88.00*
and up
Private Tour of Mexico City, Teotihuacan Pyramids and Lady of Guadalupe...
Ranked #9 of 529 things to do in Mexico City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the largest churches in Latin America, this famous cathedral dominates the Zócalo.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We strolled by this place not really expecting it, we didn't take a tour but walked in and spent some time. Very beautiful inside!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This Cathedral is as ornate and beautiful and historical as ones I've seen in Barcelona. It is open to browsers to walk through, as well as those wanting to pray. It's gorgeous. I didn't get much out of the extra fee to see the sacristry on the side. But the gift stands at the entrance have unique items, i.e. bookmarks for bibles, pins of body parts to pray for illnesses and post on back wall. We were lucky to view a baptism day on Saturday afternoon, so saw approx.10 local families taking photos outside with beautiful babies in gorgeous gowns. I was also interviewed by a teen for her paper on "Americans" (despite my attempt to fit in!); she was there in cathedral courtyard with her parents and sibling. Lovely people, all of them.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

When in Mexico city it is a Must see. For me it was another catholic Cathedral, nice enough but I live in London and have St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey. Hard to compare.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I visited this magnificent building during Semana Santa, Holy Thursday to be exact. The church was abuzz with people....had the wonderful experience of being blessed by a bishop.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was my second visit to the Catedral Metropolitana and I was looking forward to it. During my first visit , there was a lot of restoration work going on inside the church and the place was so dark and gloomy that I could not enjoy it. Now, I wanted to see the final results of the restoration. We walked through those impressive doors on Good Friday- and it was Epic. You must take the time to walk around and admire every area of this exceptional building. At the same time we had to be respectful of the locals that were celebrating Good Friday at their beloved church. Must see while in Mexico City regardless of your religious preference. I met an adorable Mexican old lady who is an active member of the Parish and she was selling "Panecitos" - sweet bread rolls- inside the church. A moment to remember!