“OMG”

Ranked #33 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Tulsa, Ok
“OMG”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I understand that location is critical when choosing a hotel in a big city unless you want to spend your time in traffic jams trying to reach your destination so that was the reason for choosing this hotel. While I do not refute is nearby downtown, Reforma avenue and you can walk by to the Zona Rosa area and its personnel is quite polite, this hotel is just really bad. Here is why: Being a 4 star hotel (...) the less I would expect is to have free Wi-Fi in your room, well that was not the case, you have to pay give or take $15 USD per night, free water, neither was it. You have to pay around $3 USD for a pint of drinkable water bottle. The room was small and needed TLC. Bathroom condition: clean but old. Being winter I would expect the A/C to work and heat the air, well the best I could get was a portable electrical heater. The hallways are dark, kind of depressing , but the lobby was fun to be around. Unfortunately, this hotel is not handicap friendly.

Normally, I try to bring the good and the bad in my reviews, but this hotel is so bad that I recommend you bring your own toilet paper( seriously). At the best this is a 1 1/2 star hotel.

Room Tip: It may be noise during the weekends due to the parties in bars during the night.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank HBTulsa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Macau
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Galeria Plaza may have been a much better hotel in the past - that's my guess. Nowadays there is not much to recommend it except a central location and an affordable price. My standard room was very uninteresting and the breakfast was not better. A friend who stayed in a more expensive room has a better opinion about the hotel, so it may be worth doing some research in this respect. The staff were courteous, but this is not enough to make a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
San Ignacio, Belize
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Unable to find a room at a hotel we like near the Zona Rosa, we chose the Galeria Plaza expecting to find more than less expensive places. Unfortunately, that was not the case. We carried our own luggage without anyone offering to help, and found our way to the 10th floor room. Remember, it is December, and Mexico City temperatures make many travelers eager for a warm room. Upon arrival I put the temperature at 78 degrees but when we retired for the evening the room temperature hadn't changed. I later put it all the way to 85º and it continued to blow cool air. I found the absence of a bottle of drinking water a bit peculiar since even cheap hotels often provide that important necessity, something better hotels would never forget to include. It was after midnight when a woman knocked on our door apparently offering a service you might find in an "auto-hotel" where rooms are available by the hour. Then, at 09:00 more insistent rapping on the door, an employee insisting on taking an inventory of the locked liquor cabinet! Four hours before checkout, a time the management apparently found convenient. I certainly did not. This place also charges what I consider an astronomical price for Internet service. I would consider staying here again under one condition: I couldn't find a room anywhere else in Mexico City. There are much better hotels similarly located in or very near the Zona Rosa.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days...great hotel...service and location...George at the conciere desk was awesome....very helpful...very close to many things to do....area feels very safe..everyone who worked there was nice...enjoyed my time at this hotel and in this area of mexico city...........

• Stayed November 2013
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I am most grateful to the staff of the Galeria Plaza. Everyone took care to ensure that we had tours, dinners, show tickets and taxis when needed and at fair prices. The thoughtful advice and care taken to respond to our needs as first time visitors to Mexico City was exceptional. I would be very happy to return.

The business floor was quiet, offered a convenient breakfast and free WIFI. My only suggestion is that breakfast can be busy and it would help to have extra staff and an extra coffee machine for times when there are many guests wanting breakfast. Its lounge was a comfortable place to relax with a glass of wine.

While the weather did not allow us to enjoy the pool, it looked like a nice place to relax. Our room was clean when we arrived, had everything we needed, and was maintained well during our one week stay.

There are probably fancier places to stay in Mexico City, but this hotel offers excellent value for money and service that is truly extraordinary.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

What I loved:
- Safe location in Zona Rosa
- Free wifi in executive rooms
- Free snacks & drinks on executive floor
- Fairly decent rooftop pool area

What I hated:
- Uncomfortable hard-rock beds
- Continental breakfast on executive floor

The Galeria Plaza represents good value for money if booked at the right price, just make sure to take advantage of the special offers on the hotel’s own website, even at short notice. Only complaints: hard-rock beds and the rather unappetising continental breakfast on the executive floor… It is worth paying the difference of Mx $80 pp (approx £4) to upgrade to the buffet breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant. Another tip: get a room at the back of the building for absolute peace and quiet. Would I return? Yes!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The location of the hotel was great for the Zone Rosa and Reforma. The room was clean, quiet and decent although a little dated. At checkin, the agent spent 5 minutes chatting with his friend, then called us over. My in-room safe didn't lock. Calls to the front desk to fix it produced no results.

The hotel charges for wi-fi, 380 pesos ($15/day) for two days, PER DEVICE. I was double charged which resulted in an argument at checkout. After refusing to pay, the charge was removed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple