“Looks nice”

Galeria Plaza Reforma
Ranked #34 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you want a hotel that looks beautiful but nothing works, this is the one for you! This should be a first class hotel, but it suffers from lack of maintenance and poor management. First they lost our reservation, the front desk was not very accommodating (actually couldn't care less about our situation),our air conditioner didn't work well, the electricity shorted out when I plugged in the hair dryer, what few outlets were in the room were falling out of the wall. Food, like the room, was very expensive but very average in quality. The room was very clean, the maids very competent , but not enough of them. Our room wasn't made up til 5:30 pm.The concierge was very good. They should have him running the hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Galeria Plaza Reforma

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This ex-Westin hotel has seen better days!room maintenance needs some attention. We arrived late, were given a room without a key for the safe box, changed to a digital safe room but overlooked a very noisy disco, changed again around midnight but LED light over desk flashed every 90 seconds ALL NIGHT! Changed room again to a junior suite, which was OK for the next four nights. The bar drinks and food menus were limited but generally good for our late arrival on our first night, and the breakfast buffet was fine, for its type. The staff were generally helpful and the concierge staff good for booking restaurant and theatre facilities, but they did seem to have their personal taxi preferences at differing prices. Front desk was helpful in getting the right room eventually with a safe box that worked, but it seems half the safe keys are missing! The Wi-Fi worked intermittently but required constant repeat of password. The hotel's location in the Zona Rosa is a good feature, much in walking distance and adequate supply of taxis for further afield. In general, an OK experience in a major capital city.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not overlook the all-night disco and are as high as possible to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Seems like a safer area in the city, walking distance to restaurants. Really amazing small coffee shop on same side of street 2 or 3 blocks back.

Room was nice, didn't feel like a 4 star hotel but overall decent. Breakfast buffet was decent, nothing great. Staff spoke english so that was nice.

wi-fi on phone didn't work, but did work on laptop. Somewhat small room, but maybe not good dea to compare to rooms in United States.

Overall good for the price and location.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Coming every year for business and staying at Galeria Plaza for couple of days last 10 years I am overall still satisfied but have to say that hotel is slowly getting dated and that it needs some facelift. Location is excellent, at the edge of Zona Rosa and two minues from Paseo de Reforma. Rooms are large and clean, however, furniture is dated. Safe in the room is still operated by the key which was not available as the last guest forgot to return it - so I was told and they did not bother to do anything about it. Breakfast wa sincluded in my rate and was good but for Mexican standards it was only 3 out of 5. Wi-fi was also included and it functioned pretty good throughout the hotel and in the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DEEJAY061
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I visit Mexico City almost every year. I have stayed at the Sheraton the past two years. Their price went up this year, so I went on Priceline and named my price and location. I knew nothing about the Galeria Plaza, but when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. It was in a great location, the Zona Rosa, and it is a lovely hotel. The only problems I encountered were with the information about upgrading and the air conditioning. When I telephoned the hotel, I was told a specific amount that it would cost to upgrade to the executive floor. When I arrived I was given a price that was much higher. When I spoke to the manager, he took care of everything and even paid for my dinner that night in the hotel. The air conditioning was not working properly, but they kept sending people to work on it. Eventually the corrected it. They were very persistent. The room was nice and comfortable, the pool was lovely, and the personnel were very accommodating. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Upgrade to business floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2014

WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR AN OLD BUILDING AND UNCOMFORTABLE BED. Also t is impossible to sleep at some rooms during the weekend.

Our experience:
We arrived on a Friday, at noon... When we came back at midnight there was a huge concert in a bar nearby. We got into our room and it was like we where IN the bar. We waited 40 minutes in case it finishes, unfortunately it didn´t. We asked for another room at the other side of the building and we got it. The staff who helped us to move to the new room told us that on weekends it is always the same: too much loud until 3 or 4 am.
SO, if you are not partying in Mexico City, I would not recommend this hotel. It is too old and too expensive. You may try NH ;)

Room Tip: When booking (If you dare) ask the front desk person to give you a room at the other side of the bui...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TwinkyWonder
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I am an American living in Mexico. Had a wonderful stay. Check in was smooth and quick. I had seen some negative comments re WIFI fees. Made sure they were included for free (they are/were applicable to the De Lujo (Deluxe) rooms. I called the hotel direct and made notes on who I talked to. Then confirmed the following day and got another name. We found that we needed a code to access and Recepciòn said it was not Free per our reservation. So I called the Reservations extension, the gal I first spoke to admitted it was her oversight and it was corrected immediately. This was the only issue we had, other than some loud music in the area on a Friday night. We heard it but it stopped at midnight. Our rate was $1,090, $87, plus 19% in taxes.

We had two beautiful rooms, with a connecting door. Comfortable, roomy, great bathrooms, huge bath towels and great housekeeping service.

On the morning of our departure we asked for a late check out of 1;30 pm from the normal 1:00 pm. No problem.

The Concierge staff was helpful and we used them daily for one thing or another. The hotel is perfectly located, a block south of Reforma, at the statue of Diana and an easy walk to Chapultepec Park/Zoo/Castle (closed on Mondays) and about a 5 minute walk from the Insurgentes Metro station (subway) You can get most anywhere on the trains for $5 pesos, about $.40 USD. Same quality equipment as the NYC subway system. Close to airport, 30 minutes and $310 pesos in a big van leaving and $250 for the return in a roomy taxi at the front door of the Galeria Plaza. Tons of great places to eat within easy walking distance. Located in the famous Zona Rosa where you will see all kinds of things, some of which may not appeal to you. But we never felt unsafe, day or night. A Scotiabank almost dead across the street with 24 hr ATM access. In room safes.

There were a couple of previous comments about a veggie restaurant and we went there for breakfast the first morning. I believe we left the hotel, turned right, then right at the first corner and it was a block up this street and across the street. BUT they were not truly vegetarian, having several meat items on the breakfast menu. There was this great Chinese place we found, about 3 short blocks away. CHANG WON, 19 Florencia. It seats about 50 and we knew we had a winner when the place was full (we got the last table) and we were the only non-Asians in the restaurant.

We loved it. I only selected this hotel because my "go to" Mexico City hotel was booked solid.

Cannot say enough about it.

Room Tip: Suggest the Brisas package, if available and floors 9 &10 are the most desirable floors. We were...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends