“Four nights at the Monte carlo” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Monte Carlo
Hotel Monte Carlo
Ranked #277 of 304 Hotels in Mexico City
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Four nights at the Monte carlo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

I first stayed one night at this hotel with my son, on my way in from Frankfurt. I have stayed in the Monte Carlo in the past and sort of made it my 'pied a terre' since it is so conveniently located in the heart of the city. I have always raved about this place for its convenience, its charm of the past, and its prices. Well, this time, I learned that the owners had changed and the prices had changed too, but at 320 pesos a night for two ($27 Cdn or US) it is still a good deal. However, there was a mouse in the room and it bothered me all night. As I woke up early, due to the jetlag, I could hear a scratching noise coming from around the wardrobe, and after investigating with my flashlight, I found a live mouse trapped on a styrofoam plate that had been previously covered with glue. As we checked out early that morning, we left the live animal and its platter on the front desk... Taking it as a one time issue, we checked in again about ten days later before leaving the city. Well, this time, we were both attacked with bed bugs. Even though the sheets were clean, the banklets were more than 'sus' and the floor seemed like it had not been vaccumed in days. We were confused on the first night as we also got bitten by mosquitos, but on the second night, we definitely realized there were bed bugs all over the room, bed and carpet alike... We did mention the problem to the front desk the day of our departure, and before we checked out at noon, someone had already come and sprayed the mattresses with some sort of insect repellant, but, is this efficient...? Taking it from the comments I can read above, it seems to me the whole hotel has that problem. However, before leaving the hotel that day, we talked to some gringos in the lobby and asked them if they had any similar problem and they said they hadn't. So..., if you want to take a chance, flip a coin and go for it because I feel the hotel should not be a write off. Things might improve with time.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw. We had room 102, with a double bed and a single one; a closet, a desk, a table and...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Emmanuel L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Well a great find 2 min walk from the Zocalo, city centre shopping etc. Very safe and comfortable, very basic hotel, no frills safe and secure and great value for around $20 a night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AdamCosmicTraveller
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Although I did not stay at Monte Carlo on this trip, I took advantage of being downtown to revisit and see how it had held up since my last stay about 15 years ago (21 nights). It was remarkably unchanged.

The hotel is superbly priced and strategically located for travelors more interested in budget and history than in prestige and luxury. It was great to live there on a study sabbatical from my college. I had no problems with cleanliness, noise, or insects of any kind. The staff were completely courteous and competent, a trait that I experienced again on this visit. The front desk quoted 230 pesos as the current rate.

I hope TripAdvisor accepts my unusual review and that other "student" travelors will benefit.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Lalo_de_Mexico
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

In 20 years, I have stayed here 4 times. I am still loyal to the Monte Carlo but must admit that it needs some help. During my first 3 visits, the interior was verdant with palms, calla lilies and other plants. Now, the few palms left need a friend with a green thumb. This last time, I got a room in the back of the hotel. The positives: clean linen, comfortable bed, old style windows that matched perfectly the interiors of Mexico's Golden Age movies that I watched on 'de pelicula' Channel 29. The negatives: stiff pillows, faded carpets, mosquitos at nite, bored receptionists who could tidy up the front desk mess in 5 minutes or water the thirsty plants.
The Monte Carlo is close to everything, the rates cannot be beat, and it is across the street from the historic Pasteleria Ideal. Still, I could polish up this gem in a week. I hope someone with a sense for history will. PS. Business and Fitness centers are not amenities.

Room Tip: The front rooms are best
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank jamiejet
poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

simple, clean, nice, for not too long stay, rooms in Art Nouveau style

Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank justamm
Memphis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

Beautiful old building -- mid-1800s hotel? Built for horse and carriages. Some auto parking.

5 quick blocks south of the Zocalo. Safe neighborhood, in my 30 years experience.

I've been to Mexico 50 times since 1979, stayed at the Monte Carlo 1-2 nights roughly once or twice most years.

It makes a fine pied a terre in Mexico City, to see Mexico City, before venturing a-hinter.

But -- ascetic it is!

No frills for you!

D H Lawrence and W Somerset Maugham used the Monte Carlo as their base in Mexico City.

Staff and guests are friendly, though tend to be quiet, not that outgoing. Lots of youngish backpackers from Europe and Mexico.. An interesting place to stay.

White marble lower floor and stairs, old wood above, high ceilings, high courtyards,. $22 with a private bath. truly spartan single -- or $4 less for washbasin only, bathroom down the hall.

It's a good place to unwind, watch late night Mexican TV the night you land in Mexico City.

Very ascetic, bare-bones.

No bug problems in my experience.

People from all over the world stay here.

The only other thing to say is -- you know who you are.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank ClaseDe68
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2008

Well it's a beautiful building with friendly, helpful staff and in a great location BUT.... I stayed there for 2 nights and was bitten, whether by bed bugs or mosquitos I don't know, but it was bad enough to make me very itchy and uncomfortable and I moved on....
To be honest, I think it was bedbugs; the sheets and blankets were threadbare, ripped and with holes in them. I would not be able to recommend this place to anyone I'm afraid.

• Liked — Historic building
  • Disliked — Insect bites
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Mary75London