“Better than average 3 stars hotel”

Exe Suites San Marino
Ranked #135 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Montreal, Canada
“Better than average 3 stars hotel”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Pros:
> All staff we met were very helpful, in particular a tall guy working during the day. I can't comment on their English as I spoke in Spanish to them. However they didn't seem very fluent in English. Many examples of how great the staff was are 1) we called the day before check in to request a room without carpet and we were accomodated 2) there was a little incident in a room we were given for the first night and the day after we were offered a bottle of wine 3) we had to change room and the staff moved our luggage during the day as we were away 4) staff called safe taxis within minutes.
> location is great for activities in mexico df. Now knowing better mexico I would stay in that area or in Polanco should I return. Don't go too far from the big park.
> I must admit that the 2 rooms we've had were better than the average 3 stars hotel and looked like the picture we had seen online. Rooms were big and well equipped.
> business center and gym were in good condition and working well
> have in mind that anywhere else in North America you would pay about 3 times more to have the same type of room/hotel. So value for the price is the big thing here.
> kitchen had microwave, toaster, oven top, fridge and sink. There was nothing we could use to cook however. I should have read the previous comment to ask the staff as they can provide. Very useful if you get tired of Mexican food and/or get food sick.
> the safe we had in the room was a modern safe with a PIN, not an old key that you have to carry around
> I watched TV at night and reception was good and nice flat screen rotating on the furniture

Cons:
> elevator is very slow and it bounces!, I am pretty convinced this is the worst elevator I have and will ever use
> beds are hard. however this was also the case of a 3-star hotel in the cancun area. I have the feeling it's like this in Mexico but be aware of it. We are used to a soft bed and in Mexico we woke up in the morning with body pain. Maybe 5 star hotel don't but 3 stars definitively do!
> I had issues with the varying temperature in the room at night. For the week I was there I couldn't really find the way to have a good stable temperature, most of the time it was too hot in the middle of the night. I tried different variations of the central air conditioning (btw it stops between about 11pm and 8am, this varies every day due to system maintenace they said), window air conditioning (which was not working at all the first night, then got fixed but only the fan worked) and of the window itself but I wasn't able to find the right situation. I am generally able to find a solution after 2 days but not there. For your information my wife had no issue.

Comments:
> I've read many comments about the noise from the street. I live in a city and it wasn't so different except for all he cars honking during week days. But overall it didn't bother us.
> except for the elevator and window mounted air conditioning, we didn't really feel the hotel was extremly old.
> you are not paying for a 5 stars hotel, so don't expect 5 stars
> I would recommend this hotel to a friend or return myself

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with hard wood floor. No carpet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NickHula1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We went to Mexico City on a girls' trip. We chose this hotel because it is located in a great area where there is access to Avenida de la Reforma, Angel de la Independencia, Zona Rosa, Turibus, etc. There is also a pretty decent restaurant on the first floor and they deliver to the rooms, Margaritas too!

As for the room, it was dated but clean. The beds were really hard, it was comical. We did not really use the kitchenette except to heat up food in the microwave. The television had poor reception and the wireless was slow. The noise from the street could be heard and there is a lot of noise in that area at all times. I would not suggest this hotel for people who definitely need their sleep.

However, the good is that the staff was very helpful and if we needed anything, they were happy to assist. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room after all because this is Mexico City and we were well occupied with daily activities and just having fun. It is a well priced hotel for the area and it covered the basics, bed, shower, gym, internet access room. If you are looking for just the basics in a central location, this could qualify. If you are looking for a restful room with better than average amenities, this may not qualify.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The San Marino Suites Hotel claims in its internet advertising to be a five star property; in my considered opinion it does not even rate two stars. The hotel’s good points are its location, close to Reforma Avenue and the Zona Rosa, and, a friendly staff who are helpful within the limits of their understanding of the English language. Those ARE the good points! Now for the reality...
The hotel is old, approximately 40 years according to one of its staff; it has not been well maintenance and that lack of maintenance shows in many ways; you only have to look at the old marble floors in the two elevators, they are cracked and the dirt in the cracks is very evident.
The hotel is situated on a corner lot where to busy streets connect. The traffic noise was highly audible in my suites, prevalent night and day. The sound of sirens on police and emergency vehicles seems to be an almost constant blaring noise many hours of each and every day and night. In addition, at night, the raucous noise rising from the hotel’s outdoor restaurant and bar lasts well past the midnight hour.
The hotel is superficially clean, but when one checked carefully it was evident that many areas were only surface clean and had not carefully been inspected by management in decades. The so-called kitchenette i my suite was much outdated and the areas immediately surrounding the rims of the two cooking burners located in the counter was dirty, and, the bowls under the burners, in addition to being ancient show evidence of not having been properly cleaned in many years. The carpet in my room was significantly dirty in a number of high traffic areas. The dining area contained an old, not very clean wooden table, old glass marks were very evident, and two wooden chairs. The couch in the living room was another ancient, uncomfortable piece of furniture covered in faded and not very clean brocade.
The Queen size bed in my suite was possibly the worst hotel bed that I have ever slept in; (it had looked nice in the publicity photos) it was very hard and many of the coil springs could be felt through the thin mattress cover.
The laminate floor in the bedroom portion of my suite was chipped in places and there are visible quarter inch gaps between the ends of several of the boards.
The hotel advertises free wireless internet; yes, it is free, but not reliable! i.e. On one Sunday whilst I was there (October 7th ) it was not available for the better part of the day; further when it was available it was very slow both in connecting and downloading.
The satellite TV is a joke... The ancient 20 inch color set in my room could receive a number of channels, but, the reception was so poor that it was not worth attempting to watch. And, the advertised DVD plater and clock radio were nowhere in evidence. I enquired of the staff in the hotel’s reception area as to why the hotel could get perfect TV reception in the bar but not in the guests suites, the staff could not answer that question.
In my many years of traveling I have stayed in many older small hotels that have been meticulously cared for and older furniture lovingly cared for and restored, unfortunately this was not one of them.
Never again! I had booked to stay at this hotel for 18 nights, I left after 11 nights. I would rate the hotel one (1) on a scale of one (1) to five (5).
SGW. Ontario, Canada, October 2012.

Room Tip: To get a good room, go to a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kurmee31

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Jundiai
Reviewed 27 August 2012

THis hotel is on a very good location in Mexico DF. Easy getting walk around.
The rooms are very clean and have good size. The restaurante downstairs is a very good option.
This is not a new or modern hotel but the relation beetween cost and benefects make this hotel a rasonable choice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 July 2012

San Marino is located in the heart of Mexico City near Zona Rosa and very near several interesting places like the Museo or Anthr opology and the Museo of Modern Art. My two young daughters were with me and we felt very very safe in the area. The price was right and the people working there, very friendly and nice. I misunderstood them when they said the check-out time was "doce" which means 11am. I thought that is was "dos" and we ended up checking out 3 hours late! The staff was forgiving and let us check out without paying another night which I appreciated.

Location, friendly staff, safety, and price are my priorities and I was not disappointed. If you are fussy about little things, then you might be disappointed. For instance, they kept forgetting to put top sheets on our beds. The beds were not that comfortable. The lighting was dim. The building is a little old and not in great repair. But I don't really care about these things, so I was happy.

Just make sure you book online. Booking.com is what I used. Much cheaper that way!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Cali, Colombia
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The Hotel San Marino Suites is very well located in the corner of Rio Lerma and Rio Tiber streets, in the Colonia Cuauhtemoc, one block away from the "Angel de la Independencia", two blocks away from the US embassy, and quite near to the "Zona Rosa", where there are plenty of restaurants and bars, among others.

Additionally, in the area it is possible to find banks, grocery markets and mini-markets open the 24 hours.

My trip from the Terminal 2 Airport to the hotel took less than 40 minutes in a heavy traffic, and my way out to the Terminal 1 Airport (in a nice cab suggested by the hotel), took less than half hour.

The staff were helpfull. I asked for some kitchen appliances, and these were delivered to my room.

Althought the room was not modern, it was functional.
I had no trouble with the WiFi signal on the 7th floor.

I might use it again in a further visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Iván Mauricio C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This hotel is lovely and modern inside, location is a little away from downtown but you can easily catch the Metro from nearby stations. There is tour buses to Teotihuacan and Taxco picking up at the main roundabout on the main road. I would highly recommend this hotel if you want no stress and reasonable cost. It's located in a business area but its very safe and there are lots of police around all the time so we felt very comfortable here.
Our room was bright if a little worn but otherise very nice. Free Wifi worked well.

Room Tip: Try to get the highest room you can, road noise is always the main problem in busy cities.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple