“Ok for a couple of nights”

Exe Suites San Marino
Ranked #159 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Ok for a couple of nights”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Nice clean kind of old hotel, its ok for a few nights, very good value for money. 1 block away fromEl Angel, the famous monument, 5 minutes taxi to chapultepek park and a few more to old town. Big comfortable rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank josemoli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portugal
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Well located, fair price, nice rooms, lots of space. Wifi works.
Nice refuge in DF's hectic environment. In the morning or for afternoons you can seat in the adjacent restaurant - El Mexicano - and enjoy a drink, a nice breakfast, beautiful people, a good meal and - yes, it's true- good old flat screen TVs always passing the latest football matches

The street is one of the good places to dine out with plenty of good restaurants 50m away, and with different cuisines

A place to return

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wolf097
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Friendly staff who offers to guard your luggage (we went to taxco for one night and could leave our bags until we came back next day to check in again -free). Excellent location, easy to walk around the zona Rosa with shops and restaurants and to the park. Hotel was good but for only a little bit more you can get a five star hotel like galeria plaza reforme with roof terrace and pool so with that in mind I think the standard could have been a little bit better. The hotel feels a bit "old". But offers kitchenett so have microwave and free wifi that was great!

The bedrooms was nice and big but the bathroom felt a little bit old, and the hotel could really use a touch up if the want to keep calling themselves a four star hotel.. 3 would probably be more honest and realistic as they probably were a four star when it was new but now maybe not so much...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Klara A
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This is a very well located hotel near Chapultepec, Museum of Anthropology, Museum of Modern Art, Museum Rufino Tamayo as well to Reforma 222. Booked it because it was cheaper than others in the same area.
Pros:
Location
Lots of Restaurants nearby.
Cons:
Very noisy street
Air Conditioner barely working
Bed

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the upper floors to avoid noise. Nothing below 6th floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank elgamero

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Located just a few meters away from the Angel of Independence, San Marino is definitely one of the best placed hotels in the city. I booked this hotel through internet and they provided me a room for 65USD/night(taxes extra), which was way less than the other hotels located in the same area(about double the rate). They serve only breakfast here, something I learned the hard way when I felt hungry at 10PM at night and could not get out due to rain!! But the variety for breakfast was good enough. I was given a lot of security advises before my visit to Mexico, but this hotel is located in arguably the safest part of the city and I used to stroll out without any concern till 1-2AM. 1 problem that I faced here though was the lack of English speaking crew on board but this is something I had to cope up with during my entire trip. The rooms are hardly 5 star, but above average. They provided an oven, gas stove and a fridge in the room. The restaurant below was always filled with a lot of people and had a pretty decent food too. 1 point though - the lift operation is a bit confusing here. You will press the down button in the lobby and the lift that will open might take you till the top floor first before you get down where you wanted!!

Room Tip: I stayed at the 4th floor where the noise from nearby restaurants, traffic and parking lots was a bi...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Pros:
> All staff we met were very helpful, in particular a tall guy working during the day. I can't comment on their English as I spoke in Spanish to them. However they didn't seem very fluent in English. Many examples of how great the staff was are 1) we called the day before check in to request a room without carpet and we were accomodated 2) there was a little incident in a room we were given for the first night and the day after we were offered a bottle of wine 3) we had to change room and the staff moved our luggage during the day as we were away 4) staff called safe taxis within minutes.
> location is great for activities in mexico df. Now knowing better mexico I would stay in that area or in Polanco should I return. Don't go too far from the big park.
> I must admit that the 2 rooms we've had were better than the average 3 stars hotel and looked like the picture we had seen online. Rooms were big and well equipped.
> business center and gym were in good condition and working well
> have in mind that anywhere else in North America you would pay about 3 times more to have the same type of room/hotel. So value for the price is the big thing here.
> kitchen had microwave, toaster, oven top, fridge and sink. There was nothing we could use to cook however. I should have read the previous comment to ask the staff as they can provide. Very useful if you get tired of Mexican food and/or get food sick.
> the safe we had in the room was a modern safe with a PIN, not an old key that you have to carry around
> I watched TV at night and reception was good and nice flat screen rotating on the furniture

Cons:
> elevator is very slow and it bounces!, I am pretty convinced this is the worst elevator I have and will ever use
> beds are hard. however this was also the case of a 3-star hotel in the cancun area. I have the feeling it's like this in Mexico but be aware of it. We are used to a soft bed and in Mexico we woke up in the morning with body pain. Maybe 5 star hotel don't but 3 stars definitively do!
> I had issues with the varying temperature in the room at night. For the week I was there I couldn't really find the way to have a good stable temperature, most of the time it was too hot in the middle of the night. I tried different variations of the central air conditioning (btw it stops between about 11pm and 8am, this varies every day due to system maintenace they said), window air conditioning (which was not working at all the first night, then got fixed but only the fan worked) and of the window itself but I wasn't able to find the right situation. I am generally able to find a solution after 2 days but not there. For your information my wife had no issue.

Comments:
> I've read many comments about the noise from the street. I live in a city and it wasn't so different except for all he cars honking during week days. But overall it didn't bother us.
> except for the elevator and window mounted air conditioning, we didn't really feel the hotel was extremly old.
> you are not paying for a 5 stars hotel, so don't expect 5 stars
> I would recommend this hotel to a friend or return myself

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with hard wood floor. No carpet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NickHula1234
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We went to Mexico City on a girls' trip. We chose this hotel because it is located in a great area where there is access to Avenida de la Reforma, Angel de la Independencia, Zona Rosa, Turibus, etc. There is also a pretty decent restaurant on the first floor and they deliver to the rooms, Margaritas too!

As for the room, it was dated but clean. The beds were really hard, it was comical. We did not really use the kitchenette except to heat up food in the microwave. The television had poor reception and the wireless was slow. The noise from the street could be heard and there is a lot of noise in that area at all times. I would not suggest this hotel for people who definitely need their sleep.

However, the good is that the staff was very helpful and if we needed anything, they were happy to assist. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room after all because this is Mexico City and we were well occupied with daily activities and just having fun. It is a well priced hotel for the area and it covered the basics, bed, shower, gym, internet access room. If you are looking for just the basics in a central location, this could qualify. If you are looking for a restful room with better than average amenities, this may not qualify.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends