“Great location and lovely hotel”
Review of Zocalo Central

Zocalo Central
Ranked #12 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Bray, Ireland
“Great location and lovely hotel”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

This place is perfect for tourists looking to explore the city. Definitely worth paying that little bit extra for one of the rooms with a view onto the square - you can see the flag going up and down (including ceremony and army) each day. Breakfast on the balcony is a lovely start to the day. The food is good and if you have a seat at the edge of the balcony there are hummingbirds (I think) flying in! The terrace is also a great spot for dinner! Hotel staff (especially Jose Luis) were helpful organising tours (make sure to visit the pyramids) and offering recommendations. Felt very safe on the nearby streets at night and there were police on every corner.

• Liked — Roof errace, Location, Food
  • Disliked — Check-in staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank g0g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 26 September 2008

The Holiday Inn Zocalo has an excellent location and a friendly staff. I woudl qualify the rooms as OK, clean and fine but small and not particularly luxurious.

Lookout if you need anything though. The staff is very friendly, butcfrequently seemed unable oto solve small problems such as the ATM being out of cash (I just wanted to know where another one was), or connect me to the concierge when I called the operator. They sent the bellboy to my room instead. The guest services button on the phone goes to a message saying the extension is out of order, while when room service closes at 11pm th number just rings and rings without a message or transferring you to the front desk.

The gym is a small room with a treadmill and two weight machines in it. It has a TV and water, but could use better ventilation.

The worst is the internet. There is none! There should be wireless on all floors, but the signal is so weak I have to reload basic pages over and over, reconnect every few minutes to whichever signal is strongest (never more than one bar, sometimes all connectivity is lost). I need to get work done and this is catastrophic for me. Every time I complain, and I have been for three days, I am given a different story - the wireless wont work because of the rain, we will reset the router and it will work (they did not) we are replacing the cables etc. No one at the hotel knows how to fix this key issue, and no one seems to be trying. When I explained that I confirmed that Internet was available and NEEDED to email things that day I was told to use the two computers in the lobby. I cant access my coroprate network through these computers. I asked for the location of a relieable connetion, they also didnt know wjere else I could go. I appreciate a friendly staff, but I appreciate them at least trying to fix the problem instead of just telling me a different story with every person I speak to a lot more.

DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS TRAVELLER OR NEED TO GO ONLINE WHILE TRAVELING.

Do go here if you want a nice location at a reasonable rate and are willing to go down to the front desk to straighten out every question or request.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — friendly but unhelpful staff and lack of basic promised services,
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank MIkaMika12
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Zocalo. It's not the fanciest hotel in Mexico City, but it is clean and has an amazing rooftop balcony restaurant overlooking Zocalo Square. There are great restaurants within walking distance (Opera, and Cafe Tacuba). Also within walking distance is the Palacio Nacional (with Diego Rivera's murals) and the Palacio de Bellas Artes. There is free internet on the computers in the lobby and wireless in the rooms. Downfalls: (1) many of the housekeeping staff members do not speak English well which may be inconvenient if you don't speak Spanish, (2) the service in the restaurant is not consistent -- sometimes really great and then others slow with errors in the order, (3) at times, taxi service was slow. Also, the rooms are on the small side, which didn't really bother me since they were clean and comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service, at times
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank LifeofLeisure
Milan
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Perfect location just in front of the zocalo, beautiful view from the terrace. Room spotless, comfortable and well furnished.

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — noise from neighbours during the night
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vally81
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I was here for a one week conference and was assigned this hotel. It is a Holiday Inn. The beds are uncomfortable, the linens are poor, and the pillows tolerable. The comforter slides off the bed while you sleep. The rooms are noisy, since you are next to Zocola square. The staff is OK but just do there job and do not go out of their way to help you. For instance, my room was not cleaned well; i was to receive a fed-ex package and they were no help in locating it (I had to call fed-ex), my laundry showed up at my hotel room at 10:30 PM when I had the privacy on. The only merit is the location to Temple Mayor, shopping, and restaurants (there is a McDonalds and 7-Eleven next door). The restaurant at the hotel for breakfast was fine. It has a great view of the square and service was good. I would stay elsewhere like the Sheraton Historico or Four Seasons next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms and staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank MarianaG
Manila
Reviewed 2 August 2008

If you're a history and culture buff, then Holiday Inn Zocalo in Mexico City will be a hit for you. Located at the corner of 5 de Mayo, one of the streets surrounding that great square called the Zocalo, you will be near the Metropolitan Cathedral, the National Government Building, the Mexico City Government Building, and some archeological finds like the Templo Mayor within walking distance.
We arrived at about 10 pm on a Thursday. When the reception clerk couldn't understand us, the English speaking Mr. Carlos Mata was called to help us. We were shown to our room with a double bed and 3 pillows. The bathroom has a good hot and cold shower which was easy to adjust to the right temperature. Bathroom amenities incuded 3 big towels, three hand towels, three small towels with 1 bath robe, plus the usual soap, shampoo and conditioner small bottles. Surprise! there was a small can of shoe polish, interesting, isn't it? The room was equipped with a personally controlled airconditioner (which was a big bonus since we can decide when we want it cold or warm inside the room).

Breakfast is more than sufficient with the buffet table laden with fruits, fruit juices, french toast, pancakes, Mexican breakfast staples. There was a corner to order eggs as you like it, sunny side up or scrambled, with a lovely senorita cooking on the spot for you. Endless coffee refills as you wanted. But the best part is the view of the whole Zocalo square ...where the 8:00 ritual of flag raising is done. You have to see it and feel the Mexican spriri of pride as a retinue of soldiers emerge from the National Government building, complete with a brass band, then raise the biggest flag I have seen at the middle of the square.

The hotel staff is another wonderful thing. If you're ever booked there, look for Mr. Daniel Aguilar at the Concierge's table. He speaks very good English and is a wealth of information on where to go, what to do, and is a big help on your travel needs. He was a big help to us when we were anxiously waiting for our tour guide, approaching us without our even asking and "taking charge" of the situation. Very friendly man, this Daniel.

Mr. Carlos Mata was also a big help especially when we found out our reservation for our flight to Vancouver had been cancelled. He called up Mexicana and arranged eveything for us.

The best thing though is the price. Our travel agency was able to get us a room for 6 nights, with buffet breakfast, transfers to and from the airport, half-day city tour, tour to the Basilica and the Teotihuacan pyramids and the Xochimilco floating gardens for only US$590 per person.

Thumbs up for this hotel!

Stayed July 2008
5 Thank maryval
Isabela
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I was supposed to arrive at 7.30 PM. I remember when I arrived at 2:35 AM (because my American Airlines flight got delayed) . The check in staff asked me why did I check in that time. When I replied it was a flight delay, they immediately gave me everything (room card key, breakfast coupons and helped me with my luggage). When I reached my room, I gave a tip to the employee, but he said it wasn't necessary. My room got everything, even a jacuzzi (I did not expected it). During my stay, all staff were friendly and courteous. The hotel is near many stores and it is quite interesting because you can hear and see the Mexican army raising the national flag at 6AM and lowering it at 6PM. I'm likely to return to this hotel.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo