“Tiny rooms”
Review of Zocalo Central

Zocalo Central
Ranked #15 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 8 January 2009

An excellent place to stay if you are a monk. Our room was tiny and bare. When we ran out of bottled water I had to go down to the front desk. The room was spotless but the price was high when compared to Hotel Catedral or Gillow. We left after the first night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stickerj

Reviewed 4 January 2009

We were there for 2 nights right before Christmas and it was very busy. The staff was very courteous, helpful and friendly. The internet service was great. I would be willing to stay there again but NOT at Christmastime. We all Loved the breakfast on the balcony....

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jfpTexas
Reviewed 19 October 2008

This place is perfect for tourists looking to explore the city. Definitely worth paying that little bit extra for one of the rooms with a view onto the square - you can see the flag going up and down (including ceremony and army) each day. Breakfast on the balcony is a lovely start to the day. The food is good and if you have a seat at the edge of the balcony there are hummingbirds (I think) flying in! The terrace is also a great spot for dinner! Hotel staff (especially Jose Luis) were helpful organising tours (make sure to visit the pyramids) and offering recommendations. Felt very safe on the nearby streets at night and there were police on every corner.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank g0g
Reviewed 26 September 2008

The Holiday Inn Zocalo has an excellent location and a friendly staff. I woudl qualify the rooms as OK, clean and fine but small and not particularly luxurious.

Lookout if you need anything though. The staff is very friendly, butcfrequently seemed unable oto solve small problems such as the ATM being out of cash (I just wanted to know where another one was), or connect me to the concierge when I called the operator. They sent the bellboy to my room instead. The guest services button on the phone goes to a message saying the extension is out of order, while when room service closes at 11pm th number just rings and rings without a message or transferring you to the front desk.

The gym is a small room with a treadmill and two weight machines in it. It has a TV and water, but could use better ventilation.

The worst is the internet. There is none! There should be wireless on all floors, but the signal is so weak I have to reload basic pages over and over, reconnect every few minutes to whichever signal is strongest (never more than one bar, sometimes all connectivity is lost). I need to get work done and this is catastrophic for me. Every time I complain, and I have been for three days, I am given a different story - the wireless wont work because of the rain, we will reset the router and it will work (they did not) we are replacing the cables etc. No one at the hotel knows how to fix this key issue, and no one seems to be trying. When I explained that I confirmed that Internet was available and NEEDED to email things that day I was told to use the two computers in the lobby. I cant access my coroprate network through these computers. I asked for the location of a relieable connetion, they also didnt know wjere else I could go. I appreciate a friendly staff, but I appreciate them at least trying to fix the problem instead of just telling me a different story with every person I speak to a lot more.

DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS TRAVELLER OR NEED TO GO ONLINE WHILE TRAVELING.

Do go here if you want a nice location at a reasonable rate and are willing to go down to the front desk to straighten out every question or request.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank MIkaMika12
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Zocalo. It's not the fanciest hotel in Mexico City, but it is clean and has an amazing rooftop balcony restaurant overlooking Zocalo Square. There are great restaurants within walking distance (Opera, and Cafe Tacuba). Also within walking distance is the Palacio Nacional (with Diego Rivera's murals) and the Palacio de Bellas Artes. There is free internet on the computers in the lobby and wireless in the rooms. Downfalls: (1) many of the housekeeping staff members do not speak English well which may be inconvenient if you don't speak Spanish, (2) the service in the restaurant is not consistent -- sometimes really great and then others slow with errors in the order, (3) at times, taxi service was slow. Also, the rooms are on the small side, which didn't really bother me since they were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank LifeofLeisure
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Perfect location just in front of the zocalo, beautiful view from the terrace. Room spotless, comfortable and well furnished.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vally81
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I was here for a one week conference and was assigned this hotel. It is a Holiday Inn. The beds are uncomfortable, the linens are poor, and the pillows tolerable. The comforter slides off the bed while you sleep. The rooms are noisy, since you are next to Zocola square. The staff is OK but just do there job and do not go out of their way to help you. For instance, my room was not cleaned well; i was to receive a fed-ex package and they were no help in locating it (I had to call fed-ex), my laundry showed up at my hotel room at 10:30 PM when I had the privacy on. The only merit is the location to Temple Mayor, shopping, and restaurants (there is a McDonalds and 7-Eleven next door). The restaurant at the hotel for breakfast was fine. It has a great view of the square and service was good. I would stay elsewhere like the Sheraton Historico or Four Seasons next time.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business