1,265 results
All reviewsthe executive loungenational auditoriumchapultepec parkpolanco areagreat hotelwithin walking distanceoutdoor poolconcierge deskanthropology museumbusiness hotelbusiness tripi highly recommend this hotelhotel is locatedspecial thankshigh floorsafe neighborhoodrooms are spacious
Reviewed 23 December 2007

I spent one night at the JW Marriott in Mexico City just before Christmas. It was my first real experience in Mexico City, and I have to say, both really exceeded my expectations. Among the group of us who stayed at the hotel were several people who boast that they will only stay at the Marriott. Even among the Mexico City residents we were with, the hotel was second only to the Four Seasons in terms of preferred hotels, and at about 50% of the price (my room was $229 and rooms at the Four Seasons are in the mid $300’s).

Among the positives:
1. The location – Mexico City is unlike any place I’ve been to. Even flying in you are blown away by how sprawling and dense it is. I compare it to my hometown of Los Angeles – imagine flying over Los Angeles and instead of seeing detached homes everywhere you see apartment buildings - that’s Mexico City. The Marriott is located in the Polanco district at the edge of the Chapultepec Park in one of the most upscale neighborhoods in the City. There are treelined, Parisian style boulevards, great cafes which are open late (we started dinner at midnight – NY hours), and all sorts of shops. You’re very close to museums. It’s great to be within walking distance to so many places. Very European.
2. The rooms – I can’t find much wrong with the rooms, they were better than just about any urban, business hotel that I’ve been in – Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco. First off, great first impression – the oversized wood doors are set within these little alcoves so that you feel like you’re going inside some sort of temple. Inside, great bed with nice comforter and cushy pillows. The bathroom had green granite countertops, a nice enclosed shower (though I felt guilty about my water consumption, the blistering water pressure was sure a treat). The door got in the way of the toilet, but not a big deal. There were stone floors throughout and exceedingly nice and comfortable wood furniture. Large windows offered great views of the City. From my room I could see the beautiful rooftop blue-tile pool overlooking the Bentley and Hummer dealerships along with a nightclub, an elementary school, a 12 story apartment building, a sprawling mansion with a prison-style wall encircling it (complete with barbed wire) and a 25 story office building, all within one block. That’s the wonderful schizophrenia of Mexico City.
3. The service – check-in was flawless – very friendly, very English fluent staff with a near instantaneous processing. They seemed to have staff at every corner to assist you with where to go and the staff was genuine and warm. The people who handled the morning wake-up call (both to reserve and to wake me up) were noticeably friendly – and I like the personalized wake-ups vs. recordings. Check-out was simple. I have been to several Mexican resorts and have generally received gracious service there as well, but this was impressive for me to see in a business hotel – it ranks up there with some of the best business hotels in the US. I prepaid for a “regular cab” to the airport on my room bill (see previous posts) and it cost 3750 pesos – I’ve seen the other reviews and I’m not sure if I got ripped off but I appreciated the convenience. The hotel and rooms were very spotless throughout.
4. Restaurant – I had breakfast and lunch in the restaurant and thought it was very good. Reasonably priced, quick and attentive service. I love Mexican breakfasts and this one was up to snuff. A great mix of residents and visitors really gave it a cosmopolitan feel as well – neither touristy nor businessy, and that’s tough to do (and neither American nor Mexican which is great).
5. Cool architecture – the lobby is pretty impressive, as are some of the great views from the hallways, and the building all in all is great. It looks a little bit dated and monstrous from the outside but it works when you’re inside. They were in the midst of redoing the lobby when I was there.

The little I could find wrong –
1. It annoyed me to have to pay for internet usage (2500 pesos for a full day, 1250 for four hours)

I like trying new places, but if I am in Mexico City again I would like to come back to the JW Marriott first and spend some more time there. It was a very good experience.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank HarryfromLA
Reviewed 26 November 2007

Usually I don't stay in Marriott-Hotels, but Tripadvisor forced me in Mexico-City to do so - and it was a good decision!

The hotel is located in Polanco, the best neighborhood in the city. Surrounded by shops & restaurants and a subway station you feel centrally located (as far this is possible in this metropole!). Service is quick, rooms are beautiful and - when you booked a executive floor - you can enjoy the executive lounge in the 19th floor from early morning with a faboulus breakfast to afternoon tea und dinner-snacks.

This was definitly the best Marriott I ever stayed and I will book it again if a stay in Mexico City comes up.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ACPACPACP
Reviewed 24 November 2007

Wow... that's all I have to say!

From the minute I arrived at the JW, I was taken aback by the sincere friendliness of the staff, the opulence of the lobby, and my God, the room was outstanding!

Check in was as smooth as possible. I had lost my credit card en route, but was able to pay cash up front for the room and tax.

The rooms were magnificent! Try your best to request a high floor room with a view of Chapultepec Park. Even though I think this side may be noisier than the side facing Campos Eliseos, the view makes up for it! In your room, you'll have a floor-to-ceiling window, colorful Mexican-inspired accent pieces. Large, comfy chair and ottoman and a deliciously comfortable bed.

The bathrooms are certainly larger than the standard. Great selection of TV channels for a hotel as well. The room had a minibar and complimentary bottled water.

Service was impeccable throughout the visit. The bellman never forgot my name and always had a moment to chat. Room service was good, but I didn't eat in any of the restaurants (wonderful restaurants abound in Mexico City).

As far as Mexico City itself, this was my first trip and I will definitely be returning. It's much more charming and safe than anyone will ever have you believe! I took a prepaid cab from the airport with no problems (you'll see the taxi stand after baggage claim where you pay in advance, then proceed outside to a taxi). I spent time with some local friends who were comfortable in hailing a taxi on the street, but I would never do so on my own.

Best piece of advice... buy a Turibus ticket. It's a double decker bus that circulates through the tourist areas of Mexico City for $12 for one day or $18 for two. You can hop on or off as many times as you want and it takes you everywhere you need to go. There is a stop across Paseo de la Reforma from the Marriott.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Spaceace
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Stayed here for a 3 day corporate event, and was most impressed by all aspects of the hotel. The airport pickup worked perfectly and is reasonably priced at 70USD, and de-risks any transport worries and safety concerns one may have in Mexico City.

Check-in was smooth and courteous, and both of us travelling received upgrades to the executive floors completele with free wifi and breakfast in the executive lounge.

Rooms are really comfortable - nothing out of the ordinary, just very high quality.

The outdoor pool and hot tub are first class - go for a dawn swim and see the sun coming up over the mountains in the distance.

We ate in the Italian restaurant - very very good cuisine and again, reasonably priced (at least by UK standards).

Service throughout was faultless and friendly - I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank David W
Reviewed 11 September 2007

We visited Mexico City for our first Mexican Wedding. We stayed at the JW Marriott and we loved it! It is a beautiful hotel located in Polanco, a terrific location in Mexico City. Our room was located on the 10th floor and we had a beautiful view of the city park. The hotel was clean and full of flowers. The service was fantastic and everyone was very friendly. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business