“Exceptional stay”

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City
Ranked #11 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This Marriott property is exceptional: as Gold Elite members we stay almost exclusively at Marriott's and this is one of the nicest we've been to. Executive floor/lounge was fantastic and service throughout property was exemplary. The food offerings and service in the Executive lounge was outstanding. Our room was spacious, very clean and comfortable; the bath was spa like. Walking distance from Chipoltepec Park, zoo and museums, as well as high end shops and many restaurants. We will definitely stay here upon return to Mexico City.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is an excellent and very convenient business hotel in the heart of Polanco. Rooms are large and well appointed. Restaurant has a good breakfast buffet and there are several other restaurants inside the complex. There is also a convenient business center and casual spa. Perfect for a business stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I know that the JW is known for quality; however, the JW Mexico City is simply incredible. The friendly service begins at check-in, as you walk through an impressive lobby. As a Marriott Gold Member, I received a complementary upgrade to the Executive Floor, which was nice. The gym has friendly staff, it's clean, modern equipment, great pool, I just wish that the water was chilled. The friendliness of the Executive Floor staff is remarkable, David was extraordinary. It's a great hotel.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money to stay on the club floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We can't rate halves, so I would have done 3-1/2 stars. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms very spacious and comfortable. Loved the view of the army grounds and giant flag, the park and mountains beyond. I only ate the catered food at our meeting, which was delicious. The neighborhood is pretty safe, and there are great restaurants around it.

The reason I don't give a perfect score is small but important details. First the wifi...while connected, it works perfectly...none of my FaceTime sessions were disrupted. But, EVERY time my laptop went to sleep and EVERY time I closed my iPad cover, the devices were kicked off. So I had to log on EVERY time. That might not seem so bad, but the hotel has like four separate wifi systems, and my iPad kept switching around, even though I had already logged into one. That was really annoying, especially as I was there five days for business. Furthermore, we had a three-day meeting in the conference rooms, and the wifi was hit or miss...extremely disruptive to our meeting.

Additionally, the fitness center really frustrated me. There are three separate rooms but not joining. The first room has 6-8 treadmills, and I thought that was it for cardio, so obviously, at six a.m., they were all taken. I later found out if you follow the maze of hallways, there is another room with other machines. By the way, at six a.m., the treadmill room is practically pitch black because there aren't many lights. But in daytime, the sun comes pounding in, and it was really hot in that room. On the positive side, if you can find it, there is a nice big weight room with everything and the pool looked nice...I heard it is heated, but as temps were in the forties fahrenheit in the morning, that was too cold for me.

The staff is nice with good command of English. I tried to check in early and my room was not available...that happens, and I was glad the reception staff found me when my room was ready ahead of time...but they forgot to tell me certain details about charges to pop up on my bill that I could not negotiate, so that annoyed (and embarrassed) me upon check out.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2014

A three day trip to Mexico City to attend a wedding, so everything had to run smoothly, and this hotel did not disappoint. If you want to 'rough-it' the Turibus (hop-on-hop-off) tour stop is just across the highway (about 300 yards from the hotel door). Otherwise, there are excellent limousines on call 24/7 at the concierge desk. Taxis also appeared immediately on-call. A minor point - there are no tea-kettles available on request at the front desk to satiate the fears of guests who always want to boil their water while traveling. I guess the water at the hotel must have been fine, however, it killed nobody from our party... Would stay again...

Room Tip: One side faces the city, the other faces Auditorio Nacionale and parklands.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trevmar
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had never stayed at a JW Marriott before (usually go with starwood properties) but my experience at this hotel was really fantastic. The customer service was really top notch - starting with emails from the front desk before my arrival to ask about any special needs for my upcoming stay.

The rooms were clean and modern, they appeared to have been recently renovated. Housekeeping provided services twice daily. The room safe was large enough to hold a laptop, 2 ipads, noise cancelling headphones.

The gym on the 7th floor had access to the heated pool. The exercise equipment faced the pool (which faces out to the city) so you can have a pretty nice view while running or on the elliptical.

I don't usually stay at Marriott's because I really love the Starwood Preferred Guest program but my experience at this hotel has me rethinking that approach...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have been there twice. It is a typical business trip hotel . The modernization of the lobby, breakfast room and living room vastly improved common areas, but it's still a dark hotel. I think it is a hotel without much personality. Nevertheless the service is attentive and the breakfast is quite good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business