“Warning: Possible security risks with concierge service”

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City
Ranked #8 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Warning: Possible security risks with concierge service”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I come to Mexico often, and I usually take an airport cab. My client insisted that they felt better having me take a hotel car, so I booked one. Upon arrival my driver was MIA. I called concierge and they said they would track him down and call me back. A few minutes later a man approached me and asked if I was Ms. T, as he was my driver. I asked for his name and he said he was a different driver b/c my original driver had gotten my arrival time wrong.

I'm sure he could have been a legit driver, but he looked far less put together than the hotel drivers I'm used to traveling with. He had a very worn black suit jacket with a yellow button down shirt -- open, with an ugly, worn gold chain with a Porsche emblem on it. His hair was slicked back with gel and he was carrying a sign with Matthew something or other scrawled on it in black marker -- a stark contrast to the carefully printed out signs the nice hotels had for their drivers.

The next 45 minutes were a confusion fest. I told him I was waiting for confirmation from the concierge about his name and license plate number. I walk away to charge my phone and he steps away and starts a dial-a-thon, then walks over and says someone else is going to pickup Matthew and that I should go with him... to which I say no, and then he starts dialing again.

Matthew then arrives. A large overweight American with a beautiful looking Latin woman... she looked like she was desperately pulling herself together though. Her pink haute couture knock-off was newish but very dirty. The odd thing though was that he approached a group of drivers as though he knew them, only later did my driver walk over. Anyway, he then comes to me to say his guests have arrived and that a black van would come for me. (black van? really dude?)

I call the concierge and he is surprised to hear I'm still at the airport. He says the driver said I had gone with him. More calling back and forth and the concierge asks me if there is police at gate 8 b/c the driver said there had been some kind of an incident at the airport. No I tell him, everything looks normal.

More calls and then a driver who I had been eyeing as someone to approach for help (he looked well dressed and honest), is on the phone w/ the concierge, and the concierge simultaneously with me. We figure out this is safe, and he passes on the guest he had been waiting for as she is 2hrs late and takes me instead.

On the way over he tells me my original driver had been in a car accident, which is why he hadn't showed up.

I get to the hotel and the concierge is panicked, and asked me again if there was a police incident at the airport because other passengers had called and my original driver was very nervous and said he would not come for me. No I tell him, but ask if my driver had been in an accident -- "no!" he exclaims.

Gross incompetence, or something more sinister? You decide. We contract with Control Risks for security services and they told me that indeed this was a highly unusual event, and that a criminal intention involving multiple parties and possibly the concierge could not be ruled out.

3 Thank Spiraluxa
JWMarriottMx, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback on what appears to have been a horrible experience at our hotel. We deeply regret the incident you had with Concierge service and offer our sincere apology.
After our conversation last Thursday, we gave the Chief Concierge all the detail feedback you provided me and have required him to take additional steps with the taxi company and with the staff. Additional training in verbal and written communication has been provided.
Please contact myself again for any further clarification of the resolution that we provided you this last Tuesday.
Best regards,

Maria Camacho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
Edmonton
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Recently I was down for a business trip, right from the start the impression was great, bellman service, front desk staff all friendly and great, many great tips for eating in the area, the rooms were spotless & the beds were very comfortable and meant a great night sleep after a long day of traveling. Tucked off the right side of the front desk there is a cozy bar making all your favorite drinks, service here was also great. If your looking at taxi service you pay a bit more for using the ones the hotel use but you know your safe and will get to where you want to go without issues. There are lots of great restaurants within walking distance just ask the bellman and they will point you in the right direction.

My only complaint was the steep price for our rooms but if price isn't an issue then not a big deal.

• Stayed June 2014
JWMarriottMx, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for stay with us Mr. Linden!
We are very happy to hear that you had a great time stay with us. For the JW Marriott Mexico City team is very important to hear the opinion of our guest during their stay.
Thank you for all your positive comments about the service that our staff gave you, exceeding your expectations and giving you a comfortable business trip. About the rate, we recommend you to reserve a few months before coming, that way you will find a better rate for you.
We hope to have you as our guest once more, soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I recently stayed at the JW for a quick business trip. I had stayed there before but I was not prepared for the new look which was a very pleasant suprise. The furniture, details, the space, it is a new and improved look for the JW.

Of course all of this would mean nothing if not complimented by the amazing staff they have. from the bellman to the repectionist, the housekeepers all of them have a smile and remember your name which makes you feel you are coming back home. I had a little trouble with my credit card but the staff were very helpful and I was able to solve it quickly.
I was also very happy with my housekeeper. Even if I had wacky schedules, my room always looked clean and the service was done on time.

I was equally impressed by the rooms, the decoration is impressive but they are also a great place to work, they are comfortable and have a great view since the hotel is located in one of the best, if no the best, area of Mexico City.

Since my business went well and I finished earlier than expected I had a chance to try the restaurant "Xanat" and boy was I glad I did all the food was incredible and quite an experience.

I would definitely go back and will recommend it extensively. Hopefully next time I get to stay a little longer.

Room Tip: With the new look all rooms are amazing. but because of the views, I would suggest a higher floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
JWMarriottMx, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Patrick,
Thank you very much for your comments, for the JW Marriott team is very important to hear about your experience with us.
We are more than happy to hear that you liked our hotel renovation and that we exceed your expectations with the service that our staff offer you. About our restaurant XANAT, we are very happy to hear that you had a great experience and knowing that you enjoy our food makes us very proud.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The location of this hotel is great. Right in Polanco, within walking distance to many good restaurants, and good central location when doing business in Mexico City. Facilities have been recently remodeled and are very comfortable and attractive. Good size gym with pool big enough to swim laps, and bathrooms with dry sauna and steam bath. Service in general in excellent, and in particular, if you get a chance to use the Concierge Lounge in the 19th floor, you will get the 5 Star treatment. Specially, I have to mention Janette Valtierra, who usually works the breakfast shift. She is the most professional and attentive staff member that I have encountered at any Marriott hotel, and I take about 24 trips a year. She makes you feel special, has an incredible memory, and gives you the personalized treatment that is not common, not even in very highly rated hotels.

Overall, this is a great place to stay in Mexico City when doing business there.

Room Tip: High floor with view to the city.
Muricio,
Thank you very much for all your positive comments! For our team is very important to hear your opinion.
We are very happy to hear that you liked our new remodel hotel and we are going to let Janette know that she specially exceed your expectations with the service that she offer you. Again it is a pleasure to hear that you had a great stay with us.
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is probably the best hotel in Mexico City. The service from entrance to exit is outstanding. Everyone is courteous and helpful. The rooms are spotless and the executive lounge is beyond wonderful. I spent 19 days there on business and found it to be the most comfortable Marriott in North America. I recommend this hotel heartily!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments is very important for us to hear your opinion about your experience during your stay.
We are more than happy to hear that we made you feel like home for 19 days, exceeding your expectations with the service that our staff offered to you. It’s going to be a pleasure to share your comments with our entire staff.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel during my last business trip and my experience was fantastic. The service was outstanding, the staff attentive, friendly, and polite. It was like the perfect place to relax, not to mention that you can't ask for a better location. It is really close from everything. Can't wait to go back to Mexico and return to this hotel. The gym can use an update but besides that an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room facing "el auditorio nacional" great view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
JWMarriottMx, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for all your positive comments, for the JW Marriott team is very important to hear your opinion about your experience with us, during your stay.
We are very happy to hear that we exceed your expectations with the service that our staff offer you and we are glad to know that although that it was a business trip you found time to relax. We are going to check the equipment at our gym offers so we can improve it. Again it is a pleasure to hear that you had a nice stay with us.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 3 days, i went for work and the staff was amazing. They recomended a lot of places to visit and also nice restaurants. The hotel is really comfortable and has a great location. The only thing I can complain about is the internet connection.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
JWMarriottMx, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Mr. Joseph,
Thank you very much for your comment, it is very important for us the feedback from our guests and their experience during their stay.
We are very happy to hear that our staff exceed your expectations and made your stay more comfortable. About the internet, we are very sorry for the inconvenience, we know that guests like you need and expect great internet to work easily, we are working in our internet to make it faster, we trust that in your next visit you’ll have a better experience. Thank you very much for all your comments.
Director of Rooms