“Better than expected”

Ranked #130 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Toronto, Canada
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2008

I ended up booking this hotel via Priceline, andwanted to explore Mexico City after a few days at a conference in Merida.

After booking via Priceline, I was expecting the worst after reading the reviews here. I ended up having a very good experience.

The room I got, #1009, was large and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable, the views form the 10th floor were excellent, the room was almost spotless, and the location is hard to beat. A healthy 15 minute walk gets you to the Centro to the east, or to Chapultepec Park to the west along Reforma. The location was excellent.

I wouldn't suggest the hotel breakfast buffet, which I found to be pricey, as I would suggest either the Starbucks next door at the FiestaAmerica, or the Vips restaurant a block north for breakfast.

Service was very good, and the clerks knew English. I found them to be very helpful.

The free wi-fi works fairly well, despite a few reliability lapses.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank tayser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2007

If you expect to be treated like a guest, don't bother to stay here. We spend 9 days (prepaid or we would have left the first night). The view over Paseo de la Reforma was great, but that's about all. We wanted this view to see the Independence Day Military Parade on Sept 16 or we would have demanded a change.

When we arrived there was a coffee maker, but no coffee. When we called the desk, we were put on hold for almost ten minutes then told that "the hotel is out of coffee this week" (!) However, when we asked our maid the next morning, she had lots of coffee. We also discovered that the hair dryer (cemented to the lavatory) did not work and called reception again. My wife was told by a desk clerk "well, just push the button if you want it to work." (which, of course, did NOT solve the problem - we do, after all, know how to push a button). When I called and threatened to leave, the desk finally (and ungraciously) sent up a portable hair dryer - but made no effort to fix the broken one. When we arrived, the toilet was also running very noisily. It took four days for someone to come fix it after we reported it. Once these annoyances were FINALLY seen to, the room was more or less OK. The only BRIGHT spot about the so-called amenities and the employees was Pilar, our maid, who went out of her way to make us comfortable, despite our being ignored and treated as though we were a bother by the rest of the staff.

And for God's sake, find somewhere to eat besides the restaurant in the hotel. It is terribly overpriced for what you get. The "breakfast buffet" for $12.50 was pathetic: no toast, eggs ONLY if you request them (not on buffet or menu), cold canned sausages, watered down juices - need I say more?. And there were really only four items on the dinner menu. We tried only two of them before deciding to avoid the restaurant and eat somewhere - anywhere - else.

The hotel was inexpensive and almost empty (now we see why!). But it just goes to prove the old saying "you get what you pay for." Still, we WERE guests - paying guests at that - and we deserved to be treated as guests, not as bothersome nonentities.

• Liked — The fact that our maid, at least, cared about our comfort and needs.
  • Disliked — The indifference with which we were treated when we tried to get coffee, etc.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank HoustonRamblers

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

and was terrified when hotwire assigned me this hotel. Hard beds, slept on softer park benches, slow hot water..but staying four days..i was really impressed with everything else. Large, clean room, no bugs, accessable air condition control that stayed on all night. On the fringe of the main drag with a couple of run down buildings nearby. 4 long blocks from reforma. The staff is really professional, giving my friend an umbrella when she lost hers, finding tickets to a sold out ballet..a couple of hours before it started, the hotel cheffure/ taxi, took us to san angel, zoloco, dropped us off and came back to the exact location, hours later to the minute we asked him to pick us up.Left laundry at desk, and later that day, they were ready and placed in my closet. I was really impressed with the service..I tip my hat to the staff that made our trip an experience. a great one, i was so moved at the warmth, freindlyness and a wanting to please. of not only the staff but the mexican people as a whole, poor but proud.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — no stores nearby
  • Stayed September 2007
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

well, if your objective is to not spend a lot of money, this is for you.
The area is just near everything, the bed is HARD and the decor is not only outdated (not important) but not in good condition.
The front desk was nice, but do not ask for them to call for a taxi: you will pay $ 100 for a $20 trip.
I wish we selected another one... Mexico city is great!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the mattress: hard as a rock!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

Where do I begin? On the first morning (Thursday, 5/17) the 7am breakfast buffet wasn't ready until after 8:30 AM. A serving spoon was dropped on the floor while they were trying to light the sterno-type heat source. The spoon was placed directly back on the table for use by the next unsuspecting guest. I was told the delay was because the waiter (only 1?) called in sick that day. I didn't return for breakfast the next day. I subsequently went to Sanborn's for better service, food, price, and cleanliness.

Many extra charges are not clearly disclosed, i.e. INTERNET ACCESS: 25 pesos (about $2.50) per hour. I inquired about the charges, asking the Front Desk Manager, Mr Alejandro Cortes de Leon (who was not only rude but also completely unhelpful throughout my stay) about the multiple 25 peso charges on my bill. I speak Spanish, so there was no difficulty in communication. His response was, basically, "Nope. That's the price. Whether you use the internet for one minute or one hour. Take it or leave it." LAUNDRY CHARGES are not posted ANYWHERE. There is no way to determine the cost of laundry until your bill arrives. Of course, at that time it's too late to dispute any of the charges.

ROOM ISSUES:

1. HOT WATER on most attempts took at least ten minutes to arrive at my shower head in room 701. I had to get into the habit of turning on the water 10 minutes before I needed to shower.

2. ADDITIONAL BOTTLED WATER is charged at almost double the rate posted in the room. Each room is given 2 small bottles daily and charged for additional bottles via the Room Service bill, WITH A SERVICE CHARGE added. I went to 7-11 after that.

3. A/C remote control is attached to the wall, encased in a plexiglass housing (to prevent theft, apparently) making it almost impossible to see the controls, much less to use them.

4. There is NO bathroom phone, operational cable TV (4 channels, none of them in English), or In Room Bar (it's an empty fridge) contrary to the company's claim on their website. The in-room Safety Deposit Box is a metal safe sitting loosely on the shelf, and is easily removed from the closet.

5. The furniture is very worn and tattered, so much so that I CUT OPEN MY RIGHT THIGH on a nail sticking out of the chair resulting in a significant amount of bleeding. Again the front desk manager, Mr Alejandro Cortes de Leon, was extremely unhelpful when I called for assistance. He came up to my floor but proceeded to chat with the maintenance crew for TEN MINUTES in the hall outside my door before knocking to provide assistance. His only concern was that the nail be hammered back into the chair. No apology, no offer of assistance. His response was, "Well, what do you want us to do?" He sent up a bottle of alcohol.

6. Do Not Disturb signs are simply not available. I was repeatedly awakened several times each morning by the housekeeping staff.

7. If you like to sleep on the floor, you'll LOVE the rock hard beds!

Avoid this hotel at all costs! They are deceptive, dishonest, and completely unhelpful. Just about the worst I have stayed in anywhere around the world, at any price, especially in Mexico City. There are far better choices in and around the Zona Rosa.

• Liked — The location, near the Zona Rosa.
  • Disliked — The poor facilities and rude manager.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2007

The hotel is dirty and the location is poor, but the staff was agreeable. This is not, as PRICELINE suggests, a 3-star hotel.
In fact, PRICELINE does not list this hotel if you search for a 3-star hotel in Mexico City's Zona Rosa, so I was shocked when I was booked into this hotel AT A HIGHER PRICE THAN I could have arranged directly. PRICELINE insists this is a 3-star hotel and would not budge. I will never stay at Zona Rosa again, but more importantly, I will never accept PRICELINE's hotel ratings again, and neither should you.

I'm not angry with Zona Rosa. It is what it is. But it is not a 3-star hotel. I'm totally angry with PRICELINE. My wife was very upset for days. Other than our one night here, we had a fantastic time in Mexico. We easily found wonderful hotels everywhere we went. Too bad PRICELINE is too incompetant and unprincipled to do the same.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank WryBred
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2007

I had read all the reviews here before booking this hotel, and chose it for the location and the free internet access in the room. During
my stay, the internet access worked on the first day, but then did not work for the rest of my (four night) stay. This was a major disappointment for me, as I had a lot of work to do online, so that biased me a bit against the Mision Reforma.

On the topic of internet, they have disconnected the hardwired Ethernet connections in the rooms, and the only available connection is wifi. Those rooms near the center (near the elevators) seem to get the best signal. If the internet is not working, I found free internet at a restaurant named VIP's nearby.

The business center of the hotel has a couple of internet terminals, but beyond that, it is pretty useless.

The location of the hotel is pretty good - it is on the Reforma right at the statue of Columbus (Colon). The walk to the nearest metro (Hidalgo station) is about 10 minutes - it is three (long) blocks. You can also take a "colectivo" bus along the Reforma for just a few pesos.

For me, one of the highlights was the shower! The water pressure was terrific and the temperature great. I find that important after a long flight.

The rooms are a bit dated, but large. My room had a strange 1970-era orange/blue combination. The rugs could use a good replacement, but I found the hotel to be clean and the accomodations very acceptable.
Television with the normal Mexican channels plus CNN. Refrigerator (for the mini-bar, but accessible) and safe included.

On my last night at the hotel, the air conditioning stopped working. I called the front desk, and was told that they would 'call maintenance' - this was the last I heard of it until I checked out the next morning and was told the entire hotel had no A/C that night. The windows do not open, so this was a bit unpleasant.

Overall, I wanted to like this hotel - the staff were generally pleasant, the location was generall OK, and the surrounding area was acceptable. But I really just was never totally satisfied with the hotel. Next time, I will look elsewhere.

• Liked — Great showers!
  • Disliked — Lack of working internet access.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business