“Would NOT stay there again”

Mision Express Zona Rosa
Ranked #144 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 6 November 2006

The worst experiance I´ve had in years.
The rooms are dirty, and what scared me was that there is prostitution in front of the hotel.
Hope this comment is usefull.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Mision Express Zona Rosa

Reviewed 21 October 2006

When I arrived I found out they had overbooked (but they were not telling me what was going on and were pretending that I never booked it!).
They finally put me in another nearby hotel (of a lesser category). The next day, as I was checking out from the other hotel, they wouldn't allow me to leave because Hotel Mision Reforma hadn't paid them!!!. There were quite a few people with the same problem.
I cannot stress enough how bad we were treated in the Hotel Mision Reforma. I would strongly recommend anyone to stay away from them!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank Muggs66
Reviewed 26 July 2006

I´ve just stayed in this hotel and it´s preatty much ok.

The room isn´t bad even though it´s too dark and the bathroom is smelly.

Internet in the room worked fine too.

I didn´t eat in the hotel, only breakfast and it was decent.

My company booked in the hotel since there was a convention going on in the city.

One of my colegues was robbed. Someone broke into his room in the night and took his credit cards, cell phones, money and even his wife snipers(!). When he complained in the front desk they said it was his fault because the room has a safe and he didn´t use it. I think it may be usual having the guests robbed over there.

If you can stay somewhere else, go for it.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank akb06
Reviewed 26 March 2006

Having made my reservation for the hotel through Expedia, I arrived on December 25, 2005. Apparently, the two queen-sized beds in the hotel's listing were a misprint and my directions for an extra-clean room had not been read, and I was given a room different from the one described. When I walked in, I almost feinted: the once-white walls were smeared grey, brown, and black; there was dirt everywhere--on the floor, beds, and furniture; there was fecal matter all over the toilet and on the bathroom floor; one of the bed spreads was missing; and someone had obviously been sitting on one of the beds. The manager was exremely discourteous and refused to try to accommodate my family and me in any way, and actually accused me of making the mess, in spite of my having been in the room for only two minutes. I suddenly found myself walking through Mexico City on Christmas Day, searching for a different hotel. Luckily for me, I am fluent in Spanish, and I've been to Mexico City before; I don't even want to imagine how the circumstances might have been if I had not known my way around the city. In short, this was the worst hotel experience I've ever had in years of travel, and I would warn anyone tempted by the sub-$100 price to stay far away from this hotel. Expedia was nice enough to give me a coupon for a future reservation, but the memory of this experience still disgusts and angers me.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank worldmatthew
Reviewed 20 March 2006

Nice, comfortable room, but bothered by street noise and light coming in through curtains that didn't close all the way. As in most of Mexico City, the food at the hotel was horrible! The staff offered friendly, helpful service, but I ordered breakfast from room service three days out of four and they got the order wrong all three times!! On the fourth day, I had breakfast in the restaurant and they got the order wrong again! Also, there was an extremely limited number of channels on the TV, none in English, not even CNN or BBC, but I'll admit it was kind of fun watching live NFL games dubbed over in Spanish by a couple guys watching them in a studio. Not really a bad experience, but I can't honestly recommend the place.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank brodean
Reviewed 8 December 2005

I stayed here about 4 times during the summer of 2005. The location is convenient--if you're walking to historic downtown or to public transportation--but it is very hard to get to during rush hour (which lasts late into the evening in Mexico City) and impossible when protests clog the Reforma artery (which is about once or twice a week).

The rooms are a bit shabby, but functional. Some rooms and floors are in better condition than others, but they usually have extra rooms available, and are happy to move you if something is wrong with your room. For example, the room I was given once did not have working air conditioning--a definite problem in downtowm Mexico City in the summer. But they changed my room as soon as another one opened up.

There is a high-speed ethernet connection in the room which works most of the time. (It didn't work one visit out of 4.) There are no cables in the room, but the front desk will loan you one if you ask.

It is one of the few hotels in the price category that have internet in the rooms, so it's a good choice for business travelers. There is a business center, but it is very small and not always staffed. But, hey, at least they have one.

There is an in-room safe. You need to get the key/lock from the front desk. As someone else said--use it. My general rule of thumb when traveling internationally is that if there is a safe in the room, there's probably a reason.

The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful and professional. Definitely one of the best staff's that I've run across in Mexico City. Only one time did I get a rude front desk attendant. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she was having a bad day because everyone else has been so great.

The breakfast buffet is one of the better mid-class hotel breakfasts I have had. But except for breakfast, I would avoid the restaurant. The food is really sub par, and it is a shame to eat bad food in Mexico City when so many excellent restaurants abound. The only thing about the breakfast I didn't like was that when I brought a colleague to eat breakfast with me and we wanted to pay, the waiter wouldn't let me charge it to the room. He insisted that I pay in cash. It happened a second time the same way--and he asked me for a different amount. I'm pretty sure that he was pocketing the money and not reporting it. So that situation was a bit uncomfortable.

But other than that, the hotel is quite fine for the price. Taxi drivers generally do not know it, so make sure you consult a map before you go (there's a little one on their website)so that you can explain where it is.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank Nonprofit business traveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed 18 August 2005

We stayed in this hotel while vacationing in Mexico. It is located near the Zona Rosa and Chapultepec, which in my opinion is the best and safest place to stay for tourists to stay in Mexico City. The hotel mainly caters to business travelers as it is near the financial district, not to tourists. The rooms are nice (no street noise problem) but the hotel is obviously old and outdated. The beds are really hard and there is no swimming pool. The restaurant is pretty good, but not cheap. Overall, I liked the area it was in and always felt safe, but I would reccommend finding a newer, nicer hotel if I was traveling there again. From the road, the Fiesta Americana looked good.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member