“Disastrous and Deceptive”

Mision Express Zona Rosa
Ranked #143 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 21 May 2007

Where do I begin? On the first morning (Thursday, 5/17) the 7am breakfast buffet wasn't ready until after 8:30 AM. A serving spoon was dropped on the floor while they were trying to light the sterno-type heat source. The spoon was placed directly back on the table for use by the next unsuspecting guest. I was told the delay was because the waiter (only 1?) called in sick that day. I didn't return for breakfast the next day. I subsequently went to Sanborn's for better service, food, price, and cleanliness.

Many extra charges are not clearly disclosed, i.e. INTERNET ACCESS: 25 pesos (about $2.50) per hour. I inquired about the charges, asking the Front Desk Manager, Mr Alejandro Cortes de Leon (who was not only rude but also completely unhelpful throughout my stay) about the multiple 25 peso charges on my bill. I speak Spanish, so there was no difficulty in communication. His response was, basically, "Nope. That's the price. Whether you use the internet for one minute or one hour. Take it or leave it." LAUNDRY CHARGES are not posted ANYWHERE. There is no way to determine the cost of laundry until your bill arrives. Of course, at that time it's too late to dispute any of the charges.

ROOM ISSUES:

1. HOT WATER on most attempts took at least ten minutes to arrive at my shower head in room 701. I had to get into the habit of turning on the water 10 minutes before I needed to shower.

2. ADDITIONAL BOTTLED WATER is charged at almost double the rate posted in the room. Each room is given 2 small bottles daily and charged for additional bottles via the Room Service bill, WITH A SERVICE CHARGE added. I went to 7-11 after that.

3. A/C remote control is attached to the wall, encased in a plexiglass housing (to prevent theft, apparently) making it almost impossible to see the controls, much less to use them.

4. There is NO bathroom phone, operational cable TV (4 channels, none of them in English), or In Room Bar (it's an empty fridge) contrary to the company's claim on their website. The in-room Safety Deposit Box is a metal safe sitting loosely on the shelf, and is easily removed from the closet.

5. The furniture is very worn and tattered, so much so that I CUT OPEN MY RIGHT THIGH on a nail sticking out of the chair resulting in a significant amount of bleeding. Again the front desk manager, Mr Alejandro Cortes de Leon, was extremely unhelpful when I called for assistance. He came up to my floor but proceeded to chat with the maintenance crew for TEN MINUTES in the hall outside my door before knocking to provide assistance. His only concern was that the nail be hammered back into the chair. No apology, no offer of assistance. His response was, "Well, what do you want us to do?" He sent up a bottle of alcohol.

6. Do Not Disturb signs are simply not available. I was repeatedly awakened several times each morning by the housekeeping staff.

7. If you like to sleep on the floor, you'll LOVE the rock hard beds!

Avoid this hotel at all costs! They are deceptive, dishonest, and completely unhelpful. Just about the worst I have stayed in anywhere around the world, at any price, especially in Mexico City. There are far better choices in and around the Zona Rosa.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 March 2007

The hotel is dirty and the location is poor, but the staff was agreeable. This is not, as PRICELINE suggests, a 3-star hotel.
In fact, PRICELINE does not list this hotel if you search for a 3-star hotel in Mexico City's Zona Rosa, so I was shocked when I was booked into this hotel AT A HIGHER PRICE THAN I could have arranged directly. PRICELINE insists this is a 3-star hotel and would not budge. I will never stay at Zona Rosa again, but more importantly, I will never accept PRICELINE's hotel ratings again, and neither should you.

I'm not angry with Zona Rosa. It is what it is. But it is not a 3-star hotel. I'm totally angry with PRICELINE. My wife was very upset for days. Other than our one night here, we had a fantastic time in Mexico. We easily found wonderful hotels everywhere we went. Too bad PRICELINE is too incompetant and unprincipled to do the same.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank WryBred
Reviewed 3 March 2007

I had read all the reviews here before booking this hotel, and chose it for the location and the free internet access in the room. During
my stay, the internet access worked on the first day, but then did not work for the rest of my (four night) stay. This was a major disappointment for me, as I had a lot of work to do online, so that biased me a bit against the Mision Reforma.

On the topic of internet, they have disconnected the hardwired Ethernet connections in the rooms, and the only available connection is wifi. Those rooms near the center (near the elevators) seem to get the best signal. If the internet is not working, I found free internet at a restaurant named VIP's nearby.

The business center of the hotel has a couple of internet terminals, but beyond that, it is pretty useless.

The location of the hotel is pretty good - it is on the Reforma right at the statue of Columbus (Colon). The walk to the nearest metro (Hidalgo station) is about 10 minutes - it is three (long) blocks. You can also take a "colectivo" bus along the Reforma for just a few pesos.

For me, one of the highlights was the shower! The water pressure was terrific and the temperature great. I find that important after a long flight.

The rooms are a bit dated, but large. My room had a strange 1970-era orange/blue combination. The rugs could use a good replacement, but I found the hotel to be clean and the accomodations very acceptable.
Television with the normal Mexican channels plus CNN. Refrigerator (for the mini-bar, but accessible) and safe included.

On my last night at the hotel, the air conditioning stopped working. I called the front desk, and was told that they would 'call maintenance' - this was the last I heard of it until I checked out the next morning and was told the entire hotel had no A/C that night. The windows do not open, so this was a bit unpleasant.

Overall, I wanted to like this hotel - the staff were generally pleasant, the location was generall OK, and the surrounding area was acceptable. But I really just was never totally satisfied with the hotel. Next time, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank bobby_l
Reviewed 13 February 2007

We stayed here for a week and found the hotel to be just fine.
It is centrally located and within walking distance of a lot of things you'd want to see in Mexico City. Despite being right on the Paseo it was not noisy, with double glazing and shutters on all windows. The room was large and clean and the shower worked well. There is a safe in each room which was big enough to take both laptops and all our paperwork! There is a business centre with free internet access on the ground floor. The 'restaurant' of the hotel is more of a cafe, but the food was good - freshly prepared to order - although of limited variety. There are several other places to eat within easy walking distance, or take a taxi to Maseryk in the Polenc district and you'll be spoilt for choice.

Watch out for the hotel porters hailing you a taxi - they have some arrangement going with unmetered taxis and you will pay more for your journey than if you hail a metered taxi. There are two choices, white with red stripes or little green VW beetles. Always check that they have a meter before getting in - and make sure they turn it on. The flag fee should be about 6 or 7 pesos. Only one taxi driver tried to start our journey with 27 pesos on the clock before we'd moved an inch!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravellerVera
Reviewed 6 November 2006

The worst experiance I´ve had in years.
The rooms are dirty, and what scared me was that there is prostitution in front of the hotel.
Hope this comment is usefull.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2006

When I arrived I found out they had overbooked (but they were not telling me what was going on and were pretending that I never booked it!).
They finally put me in another nearby hotel (of a lesser category). The next day, as I was checking out from the other hotel, they wouldn't allow me to leave because Hotel Mision Reforma hadn't paid them!!!. There were quite a few people with the same problem.
I cannot stress enough how bad we were treated in the Hotel Mision Reforma. I would strongly recommend anyone to stay away from them!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank Muggs66
Reviewed 26 July 2006

I´ve just stayed in this hotel and it´s preatty much ok.

The room isn´t bad even though it´s too dark and the bathroom is smelly.

Internet in the room worked fine too.

I didn´t eat in the hotel, only breakfast and it was decent.

My company booked in the hotel since there was a convention going on in the city.

One of my colegues was robbed. Someone broke into his room in the night and took his credit cards, cell phones, money and even his wife snipers(!). When he complained in the front desk they said it was his fault because the room has a safe and he didn´t use it. I think it may be usual having the guests robbed over there.

If you can stay somewhere else, go for it.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business