“Good Indian food in Mexico City”
Review of Dawat Mexico

Dawat Mexico
Ranked #210 of 4,606 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Polanco
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My wife and I went to Dawat to try their Indian food and were pleasantly surprised with the meal. We have a couple of appetizers that were great and I had the chicken marsala while my wife had a lamb plate. My dish was quite tasty and the roti and nann bread was good as well.

We had both rice with lemon and rice with vegetables and both were really good. We finished off the meal with Indian tea, which was also quite tasty.

Overall, we were pleased with the meal. The amount of the bill was a bit pricey, but I guess it is worth it for a special occassion.

1  Thank USTravelerChicago_IL
There are newer reviews for Dawat Mexico

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Took a while to locate the resturant, having finally reached the place, the first impression was they were not at all welcoming. We decided to carry on and have a meal anyways, as we were craving for an Indian meal, having been in Mexico for 1 week without one. Recived the food menu and enquired if they had a wine list. we were presented with a drinks menu but had no wine listed on the menu. We asked if they serve any wine, and we're presented with a few choice of bottles. We enquired what was the price of the bottles, and the prices were churned out of the top of the waiters head.

The price was USD40 for the cheapest wine, having looked at the prices on the food menu which seemed high considering the profile of restaurant. As we were not impressed with the intilal reception we decided not to dine at this restaurant.

Walked approx 2 minutes from the resturant and found a very good Italian resturant. Pricy but well worth the service and food.

2  Thank emeto
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We tasted various dishes, vegetarian or with meat and they were all tasty but I found the quantities a bit small for the price - especially when the main ingredient is super cheap (potatoes for example).

Reviewed 9 November 2011

I've been eating at Dawat for several years now, and I have to say, it is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in Mexico City. The welcome is always warm, the service prompt and friendly, and the food . . . . wow! It has this really amazing fusion of Indian and Mexican going on. Now when I go back to Indian restaurants in the States, it's a let-down; they just don't have the same spice! It is a little expensive, but still, I highly recommend it.

2  Thank phulana
Reviewed 2 November 2011

No wonder I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a huge statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the prime Mexico capital, Polanco at Chapultepec. Not just that, there are several Indian restaurants too, knowing the fact that typical hispanic or Mexican people do not like the Indian food. So these restaurants are existing mainly due to the visitors to Mexico who like to eat in Indian restaurants. As you may be aware, people come to Mexico city to see the world's third largest Pyramid, the Sun Pyramid and on way back, visit a couple of native Tequila breweries that serve you fresh tequila juice from the plants to visitors.

After trying my hand at two of the Indian restaurants in Polanco, I came across the Dawat restaurant between Presidente Masaryk and Dickens street while I was taking an evening stroll across the garden opposite the W Hotel where I was staying with colleagues. We thought why not try this place for a change and believe me that change was truly an amazing experience. The place does not seem to be busy from outside, but once you go in you will find a lot of folks there enjoying the meals.

The restaurant has the seating in several rooms in a large house, which typical of Mexican style dining places. Being in Mexico and offering such delicious Indian dishes is truly memorable. I can say with my experience worldwide that, every dish made here is very competitive to the ones served in any city of native India. I tasted the best Chicken lolly pop and Tandoori chicken here and one of the best lamb dishes. Their naans are simply the best. The owner of course is an Indian, but almost all of the servers and cooks are Mexicans. The quantity is pretty good, but the quality and the taste is really great.

I urge you to try this restaurant on your next visit to Mexico city and tell everyone about it.

3  Thank vjdante