“Old world, super service”
Review of La Opera Bar

La Opera Bar
Ranked #94 of 4,606 Restaurants in Mexico City
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro Historico
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Sorry to read people had a bad experience here. Ours was very pleasant,

We went around 3 PM when the place wasn't very crowded. The service was nothing short of amazing. I have some dietary limitations and the staff worked with me to adapt one of their dishes for me.

The ambience is Old World. It could be in Vienna.

My dining partner is a twice published cookbook author (Harper Collins) and loved her meal. I'm not a "professional" eater (or cook), but I was happy.

Great location for anyone staying in or visiting El Centro.

There are newer reviews for La Opera Bar

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just came back from dinner at La Opera. I had read the reviews yet my husband really wanted to go. There was little on the menu that called me, so I ordered Sopa de Tortilla and bakala (salt cod) croquettes. The soup was okay, but nothing more. The croquettes (5 pcs.) were room temperature when they arrived and totally boring (even the tartar sauce was tasteless) and cost 135 pesos! I often buy these same croquettes at a local Portuguese bakery for 1/3 the price and they are always yummy. Not so for the ones at La Opera! I understand overhead costs, yada, yada, yada, and was willing to pay the premium - except when they are cold and tasteless! Absolutely tell folks I know to take a "pass" on La Opera Bar.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

In my opinion, this is a very good place near the historical centre where you can drop in and have some Mexican food and a decent margarita. True, may not be the most well presented Mexican food, but the atmosphere of the place more than makes up for it. I found the service to be cordial. The waiter recommended a decent tequila to finish off the menu, and I left the place satisfied.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Had an outstanding lunch with a biz friend in Mexico City at this very old and established eatery. Service was 1st class, food was prepared to perfection and enjoyed the history of the building. A Must to visit when in Mexico City

Reviewed 3 November 2013

La Opera Bar was recommended in the guide book so we headed for it with high hope; sadly the experience didn't match expectations. The room was great and quite buzzy but the food was average and luke warm. However, the worst aspect was the attitude of the manager. The evening we visited it was cold but the manager insisted on keeping the front door open because he didn't want to lose any trade. This meant that diners had to sit with coats on, fighting a terrible draft, which made the whole La Opera experience less than enjoyable. It was a shame because the attitude of the bar staff was excellent as they realised people were cold but sadly felt powerless to challenge the manager!