“Total ripoff”

Neighbourhood: Centro Historico
Budapest
“Total ripoff”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This is a total rip off. They charged for stuff we didn't order. We however called them out on it. Botanas were not great either and we spotted no real food options as in our favourite cantina close by. Don't bother with this one

St. George, Utah
“OMG--What a Tourist trap!!!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

What is the definition of a tourist trap?
High prices, low quality, loaded with tourists...
Enter La Opera Bar.
As soon as we walked in we were greeted in English...I am 100% Latin. There is no way you would know I was a tourist....Unless everyone in the Bar is a tourist....And they were 100% touristas.
The menu is glorified Taqueria food. for and outrageous price.
Why is it crowed? because Pancho Villa shot a hole in the ceiling? I looked it up on Google and there are two stories: first he came in on a horse and the second is he was presented a big bill... Then he shot a hole?
Yeah right? Sheeple will believe anything.
The food?..We ordered overpriced beers and when the appetizer came (Manchego cheese and jamon serrano) I saw it was some processed "cheese food" and local ham.
Jamon y queso is not easily a forgery.
I just canceled the dinner order and walked out..
What a joke...sheeple will eat anywhere as long as the other sheeple like it.
Oh Yeah.. The bathrooms were disgustingly dirty....Nice
You have been warned.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank sneezenwheez
Mexico City, Mexico
“Good food, good atmosphere, friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The decor is really old school and the food is good mexican style food. Well priced and in the evenings there are Mariachi's and live music. Service is fast and friendly and the food is satisfying. Lots of history here, they say there is a bullet of Zapata from the revolution still in the wall of the building! (i dont know how true that is though).

• Visited December 2013
New Paltz, New York
“Old world, super service”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Sorry to read people had a bad experience here. Ours was very pleasant,

We went around 3 PM when the place wasn't very crowded. The service was nothing short of amazing. I have some dietary limitations and the staff worked with me to adapt one of their dishes for me.

The ambience is Old World. It could be in Vienna.

My dining partner is a twice published cookbook author (Harper Collins) and loved her meal. I'm not a "professional" eater (or cook), but I was happy.

Great location for anyone staying in or visiting El Centro.

Visited December 2013
vancouver, bc
“Extremely underwhelming food & experience!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just came back from dinner at La Opera. I had read the reviews yet my husband really wanted to go. There was little on the menu that called me, so I ordered Sopa de Tortilla and bakala (salt cod) croquettes. The soup was okay, but nothing more. The croquettes (5 pcs.) were room temperature when they arrived and totally boring (even the tartar sauce was tasteless) and cost 135 pesos! I often buy these same croquettes at a local Portuguese bakery for 1/3 the price and they are always yummy. Not so for the ones at La Opera! I understand overhead costs, yada, yada, yada, and was willing to pay the premium - except when they are cold and tasteless! Absolutely tell folks I know to take a "pass" on La Opera Bar.

• Visited December 2013