“Wonderful moles and salsas”
Review of Barro Negro

Barro Negro
Ranked #543 of 4,520 Restaurants in Mexico City
Price range: US$9 - US$12
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Reforma / Zona Rosa
Description: Barro negro nace con la intencion de promover y enaltecer la cocina mexicana en especial la Oaxaquena. Actualmente contamos con 3 sucursales Hamburgo 222 col Juarez D.F Moliere 48 Col. Polanco D.F Calle 38 Col. Shangri la Playa del Carmen los invitamos a disfrutar de la autentica cocina oaxaquena. Ingredientes Autenticos - Arte Culinario Oaxaqueno.
Mexico City
“Wonderful moles and salsas”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Excellent place to try Oaxacan cuisine. I was stunned by the wonderful moles and salsas, be aware that most are very spicy. The place is nice and upscale, but the prices are very good. I think this place has a very high value in it. The only downside is that our side dish: black beans were sour. Something inadmissible in any restaurant, specially when they tried to cover the rotten flavor with pepper; all the rest of the food was superb.

• Visited September 2013

“I've eaten here at least once a year over the past four years, and it remains consistently excellent”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Barro Negro is a wonderful restaurant. Every time I am in DF, I make a point of eating here at least once. I have seen the menu grow and mature into something special in that time: it's become more authentically seasonal in it's selection of fine Oaxacan dining. I must admit, even I wasn't adventurous enough to try the cricket stew :) I started with a craft cocktail, a "mescaltini" of sorts, called the nayaa: mescal shaken with an herb juice reminiscent of cucumber. I decided to choose soup as an appetizer - a huitulcoche purée with baby corn and crema, simply delicious. I stayed more traditional with my entree choosing a Oaxacan beef preparation in achiote that made it vibrantly red, but incredibly flavorful. It was garnished with pickled onions, Oaxacan cheese, mashed avocados, and huitulcoche and served with freshly made tortillas. The tortillas have mole added to he masa giving it a darker brown color, but deeper flavor. After eating I sipped on a cup of cafe con leche and relaxed as the restaurant began to fill up. I look forward to my next visit back. When all was said and done my entire meal, including tip and cocktail, came to $34.50.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank washwestcc
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Mole”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We had a lovely late lunch here. Lovely Dark pork mole and almond chicken mole. Fish tacos to start and a nice salad with watercress, cheese and tomato. Service was very good, my partner and I wantedto share and they obliged by serving up half half. We had a very late lunch, there were three or four other parties finishing when we arrived so I can't comment on the atmosphere. We ate on the terrace at the front which was nice and sunny.

• Visited June 2013
Saltillo, Mexico
“Mole, mole and more mole!”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Yummy! If you like mole, this is your place. They have a variety of colors and tastes and it is so good. You can ask them for a sample of the different kind of moles to try them before ordering.

Visited March 2013
Caeur D Alene
“Excellent flavorful food”
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

Everything was tasty
Service was excellent.
Friendly place. Good for lunch or dinner.
The selection is wide and for every level of sophisticated taste.
Plates are large so don't overdue it with the appetizers, you will be full by the main course.