“Good and Not So Good at the Camino REal Aeropuerto”

Camino Real Aeropuerto
Ranked #94 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Bend, Oregon
“Good and Not So Good at the Camino REal Aeropuerto”
Reviewed 1 April 2009

We stayed at the hotel for six days during the 2009 World Baseball Classic at nearby Foro Sol Stadium. I always believe in delivering the good news first, so here goes:
1) As many in other reviews have noted, the hotel is basically only a sky-bridge walk away from the international terminal at the Mexico City airport yet one never hears the airport noise.
2) Service was excellent and staff was extremely helpful. Many spoke English.
3) Workout Room/Spa was very nice with tons of equipment and a relaxing steam room.
4) Breakfast brunch was a great value with plenty of fresh food.
5) Lobby was spacious, clean and well designed.
6) Free shuttle service to the airport is nice.
7) Guided tour of the Pyramid of the Sun with an English-speaking guide that allows pickup at the hotel is a good value at $45.
Now, what you really need to know:
1) Business center charges 5 pesos per minute; it ain't free. They never tell you that.
2) Hotel taxis are a ripoff charging four times that of conventional fares; get your taxi just behind the hotel by walking through the bus depot via a right turn at the sky bridge and follow to the rear of the hotel.
3) Hotel food is very expensive. Great taco stand also located behind the hotel with cheap food; Mexicana stewardesses routinely eat here, so I figured it had to be healthy and good. It was.
4) Sky bridge allows easy access to the airport shops and eateries; suggest you avoid eating at the hotel and if you want a burger at Burger King for the kids, go to the airport. A very clean, safe and efficient airport.
5) Lap pool at the hotel is a joke. Put two people in the pool and it's crowded and you can cover a lap in seven normal strokes. But there is tons of workout equipment and spin cycles available FREE to hotel guests.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Being on business in Mexico for the first time and having a tight schedule staying at this hotel the day of arrival and day of departure made things that much more simple. The hotel walkway it is quite a hike from/to the international section of the airport, 15-20 min at an unsure pace. Both checkins were quick since they were mid-afternoon though I did notice long lineups later on. Airline employees seem to just walk up to the counter and get service however.
The rooms were small but clean and quiet. Both times I was in the north tower and had a view of nothing basically. The breakfast buffet was varied and quite good. I found it quite expensive but nothing beats the convenience especially the night before a departing flight.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 15 March 2009

This hotel is what it is. Attached to an airport and therefore it caters to businessmen, flight crews and 1 or 2 nighters coming from or going to somewhere else in Mexico. It is quiet and clean. Bar and restaurant service is fine. I agree that the check in lines can be long, however if you arrive at the new international terminal you can check in at the Camino Real office over there, get your key card and everything. The only surprise was that since the new international terminal was built, you have to take a shuttle to/from the hotel instead of using the walkway, and that kind of sucked. But domestic arrivals/departures are still in the old terminal.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bald0neNebraska
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We arrived late almost 11pm & upon arrival were greeted immediately & had the most effortless checkin of my life I just gave my name & had 2 room keys for each room handed over to me in seconds. I did not even have to produce my credit card which shocked me I merely showed my passport to verify my name and we were off to our rooms. The hotel is extremely well kept & the beds are probably the most comfortable I have ever slept on in mexico. I know the Camino has a really good reputation but this hotel deserves a higher ranking then it has received to date I could not find any fault.

I would suggest purchasing some water & snacks before you arrive at the hotel as there are no vending machines here & to make use of the in room refrigerator is very expensive in comparision to grabbing something at the airport before crossing the Pedestrian bridge to the Hotel from the Airport.

The breakfast buffet is outstanding & for an airport hotel in the heart of the city I expected to pay an arm & a leg but it was very reasonable & the food & selection was outstanding. As I dined here on valentines day they had a Mariachi band playing & gave roses to all the woman in my family which I thought to be a very nice touch from a very classy organization.

They have a rooftop pool that overlooks the airport that was very nice & we used it briefly before we had to head back to the airport for our connecting flight. I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank truck2chief
Connecticut
Reviewed 27 February 2009

If you have an early flight out in the morning, this is the place to stay. The hotel is clean and quiet. Staff are friendly and helpful. Restaurant food is excellent.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sailor-NHYC
Vancouver
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I just came back from staying at this hotel and I have to say that I was shocked that there was a line up of about 30 people in front of me and it was taking well more than 5 minutes per person to be checked in and no wonder because there was only one person doing the checkin. After 30 minutes of virtually no advancement in the line up, I decided to go to the front and request to talk to the manager, I told her that this was non acceptable and that this has been the worst checkin experience of my whole life and I travel quite a lot through Europe, Asia, and North America. She was nice enough to say that they were doing all they could to expedite the process and that the reason that the line up was so long was that an unexpected flight was arriving, however I looked back on the line and there were well above 50 people waiting. Other customers were really pissed as well and started to complain. This is simply unacceptable, I was very pissed off. Also, when you arrive the bell boys do not great you at the door to help you out with the bags, only after you check in, this was a very bad thing in my opinion, particularly because the entrance has some steps and the ramp was not easy to access. Now that I think about it, the reason for this is that you typically tip the guy that helps out with the bags to your room and not the guy that helps you to get to checkin counter, my guess is that the bell boys have learnt this and do not even bother anymore at the entrance. Again, this is a very bad thing to happen in a Camino Real.

The room were ok and view as well, but for a Camino Real below its typical standard. I had another problem at check out, but this one is a long story and even remembering makes me un easy. Overall, this is an OK Hotel, but the little things that make a great hotel are simply missing in this one.

Stayed January 2009