“Great value in an ideal location”
Review of Casa de la Condesa

Casa de la Condesa
Ranked #212 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Just back from a two week trip travelling round mexico and this was possibly the best little gem we stumbled upon. It was myself and a friend and the room was ideal - two double beds, a little kitchenette with fridge - very handy and a microwave.

Location is great. Less than ten minutes walk from a number of metro stations and lots of nice little bars and restaurants around in a pleasant setting with parks and fountains. Easy enough to get anywhere but a little away from the hustle and bustle.

As a base for exploring Mexico city we found this place perfect and would highly recommend it

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 December 2008

We were told that the reservations that we made (and paid for) would not be honored because there were no rooms available.

They offered to send us to a different hotel owned by the same company. We refused, and went to a big chain hotel instead.

The best part was when I called to get a refund, they told Hotels.com that they moved us to a different hotel and even paid for the taxi (a total lie, in fact, their taxi driver ripped us off). So they refuse to issue a refund.

The place looks run down, although the neighborhood is beautiful. I would highly recommend Lamm Restaurante. Gorgeous place with phenomenal food.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2008

This place is a MESS. It's in a great neighborhood but otherwise I would not recommend. I stayed for 15 days for work not play and 12 out of the 15 days there was NO INTERNET service. The portable heater in the room were old and useless. The toilet over flowed religiously for 4 days before that finally moved me to another room - they continued to insist it was working just like the WIFI!

The Cable was not working 12 out of the 15 days... this place is falling apart. The staff suddenly does not understand a word if you complain. They made me pay up front for the 15 days or would have left for another hotel.

Would NOT recommend.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank meowsu
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I have been traveling in Latin America for more than 30 years and many times to Mexico. My wife and I like to play the game of trying to find the best small hotel in whatever country/city we are visiting. This one was recommended via TripAdvisor, and I, in fact, stayed here a year ago. Then I had to ask to change my room because things like the shower and air conditioner just didn't work. This time, because I had to make some quick reservations, I re-booked this joint. The neighborhood is quite fun and convenient to some places we wanted to visit. Because I was traveling with my wife, I figured I would spring for the extra 10 bucks and go for a suite. OK, I was fooled the second time, shame on me.

*) Ever booked a suite with basically no furniture? The supposed living room had a breakfast bar with two plates, cups, spoons and forks. Those were the total supplies in the so-called kitchen, save for a micro-wave which may have worked. The "furniture" consisted of a small kitchen table with two 1950s-style kitchen chairs. Total.

*) There was a large window looking into the central court, but it was covered with a curtain that couldn't be opened.

*) The queen-sized bed was actually two singles pushed together. That's OK, but there was only one small lamp beside the bed and a king-ugly, tall floor lamp that only pointed to the ceiling. Basically, no good for reading.

*) The TV only received 12-15 channels, all on the upper end of the system so we got a full dose of home shopping channels and second-rate, English-language movies. The closest thing to news -- in any language -- was ESPN Sports.

*) Bathroom. Yeah, to find any old Mexico City building with decent water flow is a mission for De Soto. In spite of that, the owners could at least invest $6-7 bucks in a real shower head, one that isn't clogged by mineral build-up and literally sings. Equally stupid, there are florescent lights in a dropped plastic ceiling, but those lights are not over the mirror, which makes such exotic acts as shaving or applying make-up truly a shot in the dark. There were two, large bath towels (maybe the best thing about the room), but no hand towels or wash clothes. For the first day, there was no bath mat for the all-tile floor.

*) Living in a jungle. Mexico City's climate is conducive to plant growth. Vines were crawling up the inner court walls so much that they were hanging into the walkways. "So what?" you say? How about vines with thorns.

*) Check-out time? Couldn't the owners invest in a new ribbon -- or re-ink the old one -- for the printer so clients can read the bill upon checkhout.

All in all, the $90 per night charge (plus the charge for the so-called breakfast) is a true rip-off. I suspect this hotel might be owned by the kind of person or corporation who refuses to invest in the property to drive down the overhead and pump up the profits to get the books ready to show potential buyers.

The front-desk staff was quite helpful and efficient, but I suspect -- or hope -- they are all looking for jobs at an establishment they can be proud of.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jtjohnson
Reviewed 3 March 2008

When my friends and I arrived at Casa De La Condesa, we were told that the reservations we had made over two months previous would not be honored. No credible reason was given; the manager at first said that "other guests had stayed longer than expected," and then, when that explanation did not satisfy us, made a vague claim about plumbing problems. Additionally, he initially refused to let us use the hotel phone to attempt to book rooms elsewhere. For all I know, this place is paradise--we never even saw the rooms that we had paid for ten weeks in advance--but don't plan to stay there unless you are comfortable with the idea of finding yourself hotel-less upon your arrival to Mexico City.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank tinyshiny
Reviewed 23 February 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, The hotel is close to 2 subway lines within 10 mins walk east and north. Close to Zona Rosa (8 blks) and close to insurgentes and hospital general subway stations. There is a restuarant at the Hospital General that offers great breakfast for about $8 US bread, coffee, toast, eggs, fruit and jello. I enjoyed the hotel, do not go to the standard room, we paid the $30 extra for the upgrade but stayed one night in the standard, which was horribly too small and just seemed tight and unclean. The suite was bigger, nicer, with fridge and microwave, table pull out chair and a bed, bigger tv, and was immaculate. The hotel staff, very nice, the gelateria was nice outside and a nice restaurant on the corner with outdoor seating. The area is a huge park, very safe at night to walk even at 4am, when we stumbled in from the Zona Rosa. Also the staff very helpful gave us good directions. There is a market on Yucatan and San Luis Petosi for all your needs, about 3 blks one way and 2 blks the other. Supresa. Very inexpensive, food fruit and home products. highly recommend this place for its coziness and location

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chulolaw
Reviewed 23 January 2008

We booked a standard room online and arrived to find a bed that barely fit into the allotted space. There were windows facing the hallway that were painted open, allowing for no privacy. We couldn't take the depressing, 'pay by the hour' atmosphere and paid extra to move to a larger room in the front of the hotel with a balcony. If you do stay here, choose one of these rooms (They come with a fridge and microwave- good for long stays and are pretty nice).

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple