Casa de la Condesa
US$254
Zocalo Central(Mexico City)
US$189
US$121
All reviewsboutique hotelfirst trip to mexicowalking distancekitchenetteromabalconyplazastarbucksinsurgentes
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Most of the negatives you've read here about Casa de la Condesa are correct: shabby rooms in poor condition, pluming or electrical problems, surly staff. And yet I've stayed there three times and probably will do so again. Here's why:

As others have said, the location is great on a residential Roma block just a short walk south from Avenida Alvaro Obregon. Not many other choices in Roma are so appealing in this regard. I always request an upper-floor room overlooking the pretty Plaza Luis Cabrera, where I can nap in the hammock to the ambient sounds of the kids in the plaza kicking a soccer ball around. The hotel's rates are great and, when you get right down to it, I'm not in Mexico City for the hotel -- I want to be close to the part of the city I like. So, I put up with the shabbiness and occasionally rude service at Casa de la Condesa and I have a great time.

I should note that I haven't felt unsafe in the hotel, and have never had any problems with security. Although I do wish the hotel rooms had a deadbolt or a chain that blocked access from the outside.

Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Condesahotel, Manager at Casa de la Condesa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

Dear Guest,
Thak you for your comments. We have been refurbishing our suites and I hope by the next time you come back to the hotel you will see improvment. Our staff will be delighted to have you back at Casa de la Condesa. The doors have dead bolts for your security and we have insaled a new security camera system. I hope by your next visit we can meet in order to mmet your standards.

Best regards

Managment
Casa de la Condesa

Reviewed 12 June 2009

We had a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the street and a lovley park with a fountain. It was not noisy which may be due to the area being more residential than commercial. Our room was cleaned daily. We had a hammock on our balcony and the bed was comfortable. A Mexican continental breakfast was included (note that a continental breakfast in Mexico consists of toast and coffee) and the kitchen staff were lovely. The front desk staff were mostly very friendly and helpful and probably would have been moreso if our Spanish was better. There are a few places to eat but you have to do a bit of searching for them. I would suggest avoiding the Italian on the corner except for drinks as the food wasn't very nice. The hotel is within walking distance of the metro station (about 15 minutes) and the Turibus stops about two blocks away. Overall, I was very happy staying here. Oh, and they played FANTASTIC instrumental versions of tacky songs in the patio during breakfast. Seriously. And there was free WiFi.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Just back from a two week trip travelling round mexico and this was possibly the best little gem we stumbled upon. It was myself and a friend and the room was ideal - two double beds, a little kitchenette with fridge - very handy and a microwave.

Location is great. Less than ten minutes walk from a number of metro stations and lots of nice little bars and restaurants around in a pleasant setting with parks and fountains. Easy enough to get anywhere but a little away from the hustle and bustle.

As a base for exploring Mexico city we found this place perfect and would highly recommend it

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2008

We were told that the reservations that we made (and paid for) would not be honored because there were no rooms available.

They offered to send us to a different hotel owned by the same company. We refused, and went to a big chain hotel instead.

The best part was when I called to get a refund, they told Hotels.com that they moved us to a different hotel and even paid for the taxi (a total lie, in fact, their taxi driver ripped us off). So they refuse to issue a refund.

The place looks run down, although the neighborhood is beautiful. I would highly recommend Lamm Restaurante. Gorgeous place with phenomenal food.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 October 2008

This place is a MESS. It's in a great neighborhood but otherwise I would not recommend. I stayed for 15 days for work not play and 12 out of the 15 days there was NO INTERNET service. The portable heater in the room were old and useless. The toilet over flowed religiously for 4 days before that finally moved me to another room - they continued to insist it was working just like the WIFI!

The Cable was not working 12 out of the 15 days... this place is falling apart. The staff suddenly does not understand a word if you complain. They made me pay up front for the 15 days or would have left for another hotel.

Would NOT recommend.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank meowsu